Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I've heard Roshambo talk about the Tascam US-428, as well as Tribb talk about a similar product made by Roland(what is the model by the way?).

I also understand the principal of straight ahead audio interfaces. What kills me, is getting through all of the nonsense from point A to point B.

Essentially, If I were to purchase an Audio Interface, or something similar to either of the above units, and I plug into the USB Port, how the hell do I get it to record, and what software can I use?

I'm also considering a BOSS BR-8, but I don't like the idea of Zip disks. Even if I were to run off the zip disk, and then into the PC, how could I get the material off the BR-8 into the CD-R without using any waveform editing software etc.

Yamaha makes an interesting product called an AW2816. It's a 16 track recorder with a built in CDR, which is by all means perfect as in what I'm looking for. But I don't want to spend 2 grand when I already have a CD-R on my computer.

I hope I'm not explaining this in too difficult a way. Basically If I were to use N-Track, Cubase, or some shit like Cakewalk, how do I get these software programs to RECORD FROM the audio interface.

Thanks dudes. Also, I was wondering in anyone on here owns or has any experience with a BOSS BR-8, and what their opinions are on this animal.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a Zoom MRS 1044 hard disk recorder.
    I like it cause it's portable, has a lot of effects and a built in drum machine, that actually sounds like drums, as well as a bass programing unit, and being digital, it's extremely quiet.
    It has 10 tracks and a built in 15 gig HD. You can record up to 44 hours continuously. It's also no larger than an average sized 4 track tape unit.
    I just ordered an optional transfer card for the Zoom, which allows me to dump large files into my computer's hard drive quickly through a USB port, bypassing my computer's soundcard. That eliminates the need for a high priced sound card because it's going directly from hard drive to hard drive.
    Once it's in my system I can burn it onto cd in wave, mp3, or other format.
    I was hesitant about getting it at first, but it's been a great unit.
    http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/mrs1044.html

[ January 05, 2002 at 03:24 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Honestly dude, I'd stay away from using your computer as a recording source. Unless your your dealing with straight midi devices your going to run into latency problems. The computer has a problem keeping up, it's that simple. For basic tracks, it's fine, but once you try and lay down a guitar solo with some speed to it, your finished.

If you were to built a MF of a computer, it's going to cost you to do it right. SCSI drives, interfaces, soundcards, the good stuff costs the money. I know guys who have gone that route with varing budgets and the result is the same, latency.

For digital editing you can't beat the comfort of a computer. Latency isn't an issue for this application, and if you search hard enough, you can always find free software to do it with.

I've used to BR-8, and it all comes down to want you want to be able to do. The BR-8 is user friendly, but most of the internal programs, (drums/bass, etc) are bullshit, good enough for demo's but you can do better then that. The zip disc is a very limited storage source, so if you want to do more then ok quality demos, forget it.

I've not used the unit Tribb has, but have heard some good things about it, nice big harddrive, descent effects, drums, and bass, and it's easy to use.

The D-12 and D-1600 from korg are great units, lots of options etc. If you look on ebay you can find D-16s at good prices as well, and they're great.

The unit I've been exposed to the most is the Yamaha AW4416 it's the best out of the bunch I've tried. You've got essentially an O2R mixer built right into the bugger, full automation, effects out the wazzoo, expansion bays, it goes on and on. It's a bit pricey but from what I've seen and read it's the best out there now in that price range.

Most any of these HD units will get your product done to the point of making it as simple as DAW to soundcard transfer. If you want to do digital editing, it's close to the same idea, except you can spend a few dollars on a soundcard, patchbay/interface and editing software. Just because your computer has a CD-R doesn't automatically make it the best choice for finishing you projects, if you want to do digital editing, a computer is handy, but something like the 4416 or 2816 can do a pretty damned fine job on their own. Put it this way, if you know what your doing, you can basically finish a project to the point of many pro digital releases out there today. 2" it ain't but they work pretty damned good regardless.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honestly dude, I'd stay away from using your computer as a recording source. Unless your your dealing with straight midi devices your going to run into latency problems. The computer has a problem keeping up, it's that simple. For basic tracks, it's fine, but once you try and lay down a guitar solo with some speed to it, your finished.
    If you were to built a MF of a computer, it's going to cost you to do it right. SCSI drives, interfaces, soundcards, the good stuff costs the money. I know guys who have gone that route with varing budgets and the result is the same, latency.

Ok, JUST this scenario then. I'm using strictly only an audio interface, and say...Cakewalk. That, and that alone.

The product description for some of the interfaces I've read about imply that these "Direct USB Connections offer zero Latency"...In your opinion are they spewing horseshit, or what?

Also, TRIBB, I read in the other thread that you had some problems once you got the material to your hard disk. Have you solved this problem yet?

Thanks dudes.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by homeunit:
    . Just because your computer has a CD-R doesn't automatically make it the best choice for finishing you projects, if you want to do digital editing, a computer is handy, but something like the 4416 or 2816 can do a pretty damned fine job on their own. Put it this way, if you know what your doing, you can basically finish a project to the point of many pro digital releases out there today. 2" it ain't but they work pretty damned good regardless.<hr></blockquote>

I mainly want the convenience of CD-R as a storage format and I already am familiar with the bullshit of using my computer's sound card with N-Track. Lag up the ass. Like I said the 2816 sounds like a bitchin unit, I'd just like to avoid buying a whole new unit altogether. Even N-Track got great reviews and shit, but I am damned from gettting a better soundcard due to having a Gateway.

Thanks guys.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My problem was just finding a program that worked with the line in on my soundcard. I found one and it worked fine.
    Once I get the card to dump files through my usb port I shouldn't have that problem anymore, because my computer should sense the signal from the Zoom and simply transfer the files like it does my scanner, or card reader.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

"Ok, JUST this scenario then. I'm using strictly only an audio interface, and say...Cakewalk. That, and that alone."

You still have latency issues. The computer has to reproduce what youíre inputting as fast as possible. Even in a monitor mode, youíre still going to eventually run into latency with your track sync etc. IMO technology isn't there yet. There are some great options and they're really making headway, but I wouldn't even bother with computer based recording for at least 2 more years. Once they fully develop 64-bit processors then weíll see some smoking DAW setups I think, but until then, Iíd stick with a standalone HD recorder.
    When I first started exploring computer based recording, I was blown away by spec sheets and the claims of these manufacturers. In reality itís not there yet, computer based recording is still a very new phenomena, and like anything else ďnewĒ staying away from first generation products is generally a good idea. Please donít think that I think I know all there is to know about CBR, I donít, but Iím quite into computer technology, and am fortunate to have some close friends in the industry, and from all Iíve seen and read, itís not there yet.
    Digital editing on the other hand is perfect application for computers. Even programming your canned drum is easy and convenient. The idea I have for my computer is to use it to edit ADAT tracks, master them etc. For that itís cool.

"The product description for some of the interfaces I've read about imply that these "Direct USB Connections offer zero Latency"...In your opinion are they spewing horseshit, or what?"

As far as I know that's bullshit. They may be referring to digital signals, like synths, drums etc, and for that there would be no latency as it's just 1s and 0s being transferred. The problem is when you try to deal with analogue instruments like guitar bass, etc.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I should probably have mentioned that in my own case I'd just be dumping finished songs, in stereo form. They'd be finished on the Zoom unit, then dumped through the USB to the folder as a wave file.
    I'm assuming latency shouldn't be a problem in that respect.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:

I'm assuming latency shouldn't be a problem in that respect.
    <hr></blockquote>

You sir are correct
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys have been great man. I'd rather have someone elses take rather than the factory or a mag pluggin shit.

Now that feature with the Zoom sounds killer man. Now on to this. Could a BR-8 or another digital multi tracker perform this dump function, avoiding latency issues altogether?

Also, do you guys have any opinions on the Roland CDX-1.

Rock on brothers
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb, I was at Mars Music today, and I was looking at the MRS-1044. It looks like a good unit, but once I got to the manual I felt like drinking a twelver and saying fuck it, just go back to tape.

I'd like to know if you had a motherfucker of a time discerning the use of this machine.

Also, have you got your SCSI/USB card yet? I was wondering how much that fucker costs, and if it REALLY works. Mars said they don't sell em, and that you gotta order em from Zoom.

Later
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL. Yea, when I first got it I thought the same thing. I figured I must be outta my friggin mind, but after following it step by step I got some basic recording down, and thought it sounded great, just using the effects built in.
    After getting more comfortable with it, I'm finding there's a lot more I can do with it, and it even makes quite good live recodings right off the floor. I'm still learning cause digital recording give you way more flexibility. No more waiting to rewind tape, and one button takes you back to any spot you want, and it's quiet. No hiss at all. Ther's a lot more advantage than that though, which i'm still discovering.
    Like Homeunit says, it's not a top of the line unit costing 1000's of dollars, but it's giving me a much better idea of how to use a digital unit. If the time comes when I can afford an expensive unit like the Yamaha, at least the learning curve will be much shorter cause I'll have a better understanding of how the system works.
    Homeunit's the one who knows recording equipment. He does a lot of studio work, and knows shit that just leaves me scratching my head. I'm still a virgin when it comes to recording.
    The store I bought the unit from ordered the board for me from zoom, but it's not in yet. I'll let you know how it works once I install it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Tribb, I was curious as to how much that SCSI board is going to cost you.

Have you seen the MRS1044
    CD?

Thanks bro
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The board pops into the 1044, and connects to your usb port, and costs about 95. US.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the cd question TMCH.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:
    The board pops into the 1044, and connects to your usb port, and costs about 95. US.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the cd question TMCH.
    <hr></blockquote>

ZOOM has a new unit out called the MSR1044CD. It's the same unit as the 1044 (As far as I gather anyway), but it has a built in CD-R DUDE!

$1099!
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!