Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150, and Humans Being
    Last Online

06.08.05 @ 10:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How the hell are we going to introduce 80's (without get mocked) style guitar back into the candy fed masses of idiots?
    I just really want to start hearing some good guitar solos and such again in popular music.
    This 95-2003 candy coated music really is starting to bore my ear.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by -EVHguitar-:
    i know what you mean, but it took you this long to feel like that???

what we need is more 80's classic HARD ROCK radio stations that play more than just the eagles and bob seger over and over and over and over.........
    at least that's how it's done here...

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    ...Dave

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by -EVHguitar-:
    How the hell are we going to introduce 80's (without get mocked) style guitar back into the candy fed masses of idiots?
    I just really want to start hearing some good guitar solos and such again in popular music.
    Hey I agree that i wanna start hearing some good solos too but i really dont wanna go back to the 80's..atleast not the late 80's. You cant forget about the early 90's either bro cause guys like Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains, and Dean Deleo from STP were still playing some real inspired guitar. Cant forget Dime and of course Zakk. I want solo's to come back as well, but not to the point were guys like Vito Bratta took them. And that's not a knock on Vito cause i dig some White Lion, but i never dug those guitarists from the late 80's too much. just my two cents now im off to watch the Flyer Blackhawk game! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I disagree with the way you've phrased your thoughts, but I suspect we're both on the same page.

80's guitar was about public masterbation on the stage, and looking like a glammed-up, corny a**hole. Moving your hands around really fast, even when you're not actually playing.

Look at Steve Vai in the 1986 'Yankee Rose' video.....that is the epitome of horsesh*t. He's not even imitating the notes he played on the record while recording the video, he's just grinning like a jackass and whacking off with his guitar.

Eddie, to me, is a 70s guy, pure and simple. His roots are from a time when guys wanted to grow up to be cool, rock-out, play instruments, and *jam*.

The most important thing was presenting the jams to the crowd....not showing off technique.

Not play blistering classical arpeggios, but *jam* over a simple bluesy groove, like Nugent, Beck, Clapton, and Van Halen.

That's what *I'd* like to see come back. Not necessarily the speed or technique, and hopefully not the flashy looks & presentation.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Why not go forward?

Why not take the cream of the stuff that was great in the 80's and the stuff that's good now and weave it together and take it to the next step?

The 80's were great. There was so much happening in guitar at every level, now it seems like the guys spend more time programing their amps and various boxes. Guys really pushed themselves and pushed music. Today it's all just warmed over Edgar Winter, not that there's anything wrong with Edgar Winter but why not just play his stuff instead of writing stuff that's just like it and calling it yours?

Things are different today, in the 80's everybody wanted to be the guitarist, they identified with him and emulated him. Now it seems like they just want to get wasted and mosh. The bands dress in street clothes and look like slobs so who'd want to be like them? There's no magic or mystery today.

Still, you can't go back. Music is a living thing that grows and eats it's dead, it's molted skin like a reptile does. I love the 80's but I don't want to be one of those guys who's biding his time waiting for Big Band music to come back.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Man, you gotta go back past the 80's... How about the solo in "Freebird" or "Hotel California"? What about that first VH album?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have no shame at all in saying that yes, I miss the 80's.

I laugh my ass off when I hear some fucking clown say "the 80's were cheesy." Yes, some of it was, but look at you there being a fucking Punk Rock poser, you fucking suck!!!

There are more timeless, and more original, pieces of music that came out of the eighties, just any four years of the eighties, than in the whole entire decade of the nineties. Don't get me wrong, there were a few original cats in the nineties, but not many.

What I hate, is the whole fucking shitty retro gig. Have you motherfuckers seen some of the shoes they are selling now, and that some fucking dudes are wearing?

I remember you would have gotten your ass kicked for wearing some of that candy ass retro shit they are selling now. Not to mention that it looks like ass.

Man what a book. What I mean to say is, yes I would like to see it welcome again, rather than return on purpose. To do it for the sake of doing it, fuck that. But to have it welcome, yes would fuckin rock.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed could bring it back if he wanted to. Break out the old Marshall and Frank if he still has them and play like he used to. I wish!!! I think Ed is sick of his own style the way he used to play. He's bored with that style we love. Dammit! Tapping and lots o fast lead stuff. Also I don't think he wants to be in the spot light again like in the 80s. As much as I hate that he does't play like he used to I try not to blame him for it. Most guitar players progress and mature over time and in turn their playing changes.
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DuffHalen:
    Ed could bring it back if he wanted to. Break out the old Marshall and Frank if he still has them and play like he used to. I wish!!! I think Ed is sick of his own style the way he used to play. He's bored with that style we love. Dammit! Tapping and lots o fast lead stuff. Also I don't think he wants to be in the spot light again like in the 80s. As much as I hate that he does't play like he used to I try not to blame him for it. Most guitar players progress and mature over time and in turn their playing changes.
    Cayucos? No shit...We should jam some time man.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It'll come back sooner or later.

Just as big hair, spandex and fast overindulgent guitar solos became cliche, so will drop-A tuning, dreadlocks and singing about being butt-fucked.

Nu-metal was pretty much a farce from the beginning anyway. Korn were good once upon a time, now they seem to be in it for the money. Fred Durst has always been and always will be a cocksucker.

We just have to wait and see where this shit takes us now.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150, and Humans Being
    Last Online

06.08.05 @ 10:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Music is a living thing that grows and eats it's dead, it's molted skin like a reptile does.
    Great quote right there. Very true.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm with TheMightyCopenHalenII on this one. I'm not ashamed to be a child of the 80's, nor the music of the time. Sure, there was a lot of crap both music and fashion wise, but today - it's ALL crap!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think what we had happen, apart from the cyclical change that's unavoidable, was that the guitar had so much focus and everybody started trying to outshred each other. It was total overkill by the end of the decade when every dickhead in makeup and a wig was trying to become the fastest guitar player alive, and that's what is responsible, IMO, for the demise of the guitar solo. The problem is that a million notes a minute isn't jack shit - everyone can do that with practice. I think what you'll see once popular music starts changing back to rock and roll is a lot more tasty guitar playing. Less flash, more soul. More melody, and less technicality.

I think the biggest sign that rock and roll will make a comeback soon is the emergence of folk-type acts like John Mayer, Dave Matthews, etc. We're getting back to roots. I don't care much for a lot of it; Dave Matthews sounds the same to me after a while, for instance. But I think we're headed back in the right direction. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]