Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question to accomplished VH Solo Players:

I am an intermediate guitarist and have learned many leads/solos over the past 3 years, but I now want to try and tackle some VH solos. My fret spread on my left hand is fairly small, and I would like to start with the VH solos that don't require wide reaches.

I have started with "Panama"..and I can play it perfectly at 100bpm...(I am slowly turning up the metronome speed)...I am now learning the outro solo from "So This is Love", and I think I will get it down sooner or later.

What other VH solos do you guys feel are the easiest to play in relation to left hand technique? I have the entire VH catalog in Pro Tablature...I just want your expert opinions!!

Thanks for any pointers!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Lots of stuff from the first album are remarkably easy to cheat on and play... "You Really Got Me" and "I'm the One". Ed cheated alot and he had balls enough to admit it, so it's cool for you to do the same [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] "Best of Both Worlds" is another... [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Unchained, Ain't talkin bout love, Runnin with the devil and Somebody get me a Doctor are some of Eddies easier solos. I'm sure there are some others that someone else knows.
    I lost interest in Eddies solos during the sammy years so couldn't tell ya any of those.

Good luck! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by subway:

<snip>

...I have the entire VH catalog in Pro Tablature...

<snip>
    Do you have Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now) amongst others ? If so, any chance of you e-mailing this entire catalogue to me ???

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 06, 2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Lots of stuff from the first album are remarkably easy to cheat on and play... "You Really Got Me" and "I'm the One". Ed cheated alot and he had balls enough to admit it, so it's cool for you to do the same [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] "Best of Both Worlds" is another... [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Compadre,
    When you say cheat what do you mean? How does one actually cheat on the guitar. At the end of LWOAN during those outtakes Sammy tells Ed "Your cheating again Ed". Maybe somebody can shed light on this.
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There are very few of Ed's solos that actually require a wide spread of the fret hand to play, especially when you have the advantage of tapping with two hands. Matter of fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head that has a wide spread is the closing passage of Spanish Fly.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    There are very few of Ed's solos that actually require a wide spread of the fret hand to play, especially when you have the advantage of tapping with two hands. Matter of fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head that has a wide spread is the closing passage of Spanish Fly.
    Yeah Wolfman, but my frethand spread is only 4 to 5 frets, even down the neck...for eg...I can comfortably play only 4 frets all the way to the 12th fret, at the 12th, I can start to comfortable reach the 16th fret...it sucks! My pinky seems to not be able to stretch at all!

What solo's do you recommend I start with?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by TheCaboKid:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Compadre,
    When you say cheat what do you mean? How does one actually cheat on the guitar. At the end of LWOAN during those outtakes Sammy tells Ed "Your cheating again Ed". Maybe somebody can shed light on this.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The simplest way to think about it: If there are some notes you can't reach for example due to "girly hands" then you play the riff on the lower strings higher up on the fretboard.

There are a lot of accidentals in Ed's playing, which means notes out of alignment with a particular scale. It's good to know how to play the same notes in a given scale at various points on the fretboard, and to understand that a note in one spot can be played unconvetionally in another spot.

You tinker with the concept enough, then you can actually fake most of the leads, and get a pretty damn close rendition of what you intended.

For example, Ed plays a... blues minor scale??? Most of those notes are also in the pentatonic scale, just different positions. And a major scale can be played off a pentatonic scale if you're careful. Think of scales as a framework, but don't confine yourself to a box. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Grasp the pebble, Grasshopper I'm telling you, we should get together and jam sometime [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The ONE time I spotted the tab for "So This is Love", I failed to buy it.

STUPID STUPID STUPID [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

It's easy to noodle up and down in the same scales as Ed does for that tune, but I want the meat & potatoes of the actual phrasing of those licks.

Bro, if you can help me out in any way with the tabs for those solos, I'd appreciate it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry guys.....you might want to checkout stevelukaterlinks.com........I understand he's the man behind most of Ed's solos.....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett