Register

Thread: Help!

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Stupid question here... I recently bought my first Wolfgang. I replaced the strings for the first time the other day, and something is clearly wrong. I think the string gauge might be too large, because after I tuned the guitar the bridge basically sits forward, like there is too much tension on the strings (even though they are in tune). Does anyone know what gauge guitar strings are "proper" for the Wolfgang so that I don't have to adjust the spring tension? I'm afraid I'll screw it up if I have to do that and I'd rather buy a different set of strings that works better. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    Stupid question here... I recently bought my first Wolfgang. I replaced the strings for the first time the other day, and something is clearly wrong. I think the string gauge might be too large, because after I tuned the guitar the bridge basically sits forward, like there is too much tension on the strings (even though they are in tune). Does anyone know what gauge guitar strings are "proper" for the Wolfgang so that I don't have to adjust the spring tension? I'm afraid I'll screw it up if I have to do that and I'd rather buy a different set of strings that works better. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
    Guage is totally up to you. Tighten the big springs in the back. You'll have to retune several times in between. Try a full turn on each screw, then check. You may have a very slight pitch in the bridge, but it should be pretty flush. When changing strings on a floyd, it's a good idea to do them one at a time so you can tune only one rather than several times. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shark, the Wolfgangs are set up from the factory with 9's. But, adjusting the spring tension is not difficult and is also something you really might want to learn to do if you're going to have a guitar with the tremolo. All you have to do is tighten the two screws on the claw where the circle end of the springs are attached. You just tighten until the tremolo is sitting flush against the body. If you're that uncomfortable with it you can take it to a guitar tech and have him show you how to do it properly. Lots of those guys are willing to show people how to the little things like that.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Sharky,

One thing that helped me out in a similar situation when I first tried re-stringing my Jackson with 10s from the factory setup with 9s was to take an old 9v battery, wrap electrical tape around it until it made a perfect "shim" to stick between the inside of the tremolo cavity and the spring block end of the Floyd body (you'll need to tune down to loosen the string tension first) to hold the bridge perfectly level, tune the guitar to pitch (you may actually want to tune it just a hair flat, because locking the nut usually causes it to go just a hair sharp, at least on my guitar...), lock down the nut, then carefully tighten the two claw screws (make sure you use the same amount of turns on each screw) until the shim falls out leaving the bridge nice & level, then use the fine tuners to nail the tuning.

Once you have your bridge set, just change your strings one at a time in the future, and unless you change string guage or tunings, you really shouldn't have to mess with the level adjustment very much from there on out.

Here's a very good Floyd Rose setup routine, complete with pictures, that really helped me get the hang of setting one up.

floyd setup

Good luck, and remember... patience... LOL

SBS

[ October 22, 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the posts above are full of good suggestions, but can I ask if you happened to take all the strings off at once without blocking the trem off?

T

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Trennasol:
    All the posts above are full of good suggestions, but can I ask if you happened to take all the strings off at once without blocking the trem off?

T
    Well, you could, I suppose, if you were wanting to scrub down your fretboard for instance, but then obviously your tremolo will be pointing towards the ceiling. You can use an old pen wrapped in electrical tape to shim the tremolo from the top in that case to keep the bridge level. Check out the link I posted above, it pretty much covers all of that.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For whatever it's worth, I went into one of those large office supply places like Office depot, where you get all those school and office supplies.
    You can get small 6" metal rulers with a cork backing on the bottom for a couple of bucks.
    I just slide it under the floyd where the floyd sits on the body. It raises it just enough so the floyd doesn't jump off the guitar, and the cork backing doesn't scratch the finish..
    It works well in bodies that are routed under the back of the floyd too.
    Just make sure that your spring tension is set up properly though.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

but can I ask if you happened to take all the strings off at once without blocking the trem off?
    Dude, no, no, no, NO NO NO!!!

Don't do it!!!

Not unless you have something to re-block the trem with, as a backup.

I made the cocky mistake of taking too many strings off at once. The tremolo unit will actually pop back and DOWN (and therefore, OUT) of the guitar. It will surely shock the sh*t out of you! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

This happened to me last summer. It was a miracle and feat of awesome coordination to get that bugger back in. I had my lower elbow lodged against the trem arm, while my right wrist was holding the neck, while my left hand was reaching.....blah blah blah. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

DON'T DO IT!

Your friend,
    Maj

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm amazed that you guys are having so much trouble keeping the trem on the guitar.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please note that I wasn't suggesting that you take all the strings off without some of the precautions mentioned above. I was just wondering if that's how the trem got messed up in first place. I change 'em 3 at a time.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

T
    Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Trennasol, nope I did the right thing (I hope) and replaced one string at a time. I've heard stories that removing all the strings at once *might* warp the neck... I don't know how true it is but I don't want to find out.

Sounds like adjusting the spring tension is the way to go... glad to hear it isn't as complicated as I originally thought. Thanks again.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Trennasol:

T
    Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Trennasol, nope I did the right thing (I hope) and replaced one string at a time. I've heard stories that removing all the strings at once *might* warp the neck... I don't know how true it is but I don't want to find out.

Sounds like adjusting the spring tension is the way to go... glad to hear it isn't as complicated as I originally thought. Thanks again.
    </font>[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Keep it simple, and you'll travel far