Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey

I just bought a cheapy Synsonic acoustic. Never played before, and I'm looking for some advice. I'm planning on taking lessons to learn the basics and then, eventually go electric. Good plan? How did you start out? Any suggestions?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried the lesson thing. 2 lessons later and $10 bucks out of my savings account, I decided to go out on my own.

Grab yourself a Mel Bay Chord Book and work on the basic chords. A,B,C,D,E.F,G and then some of minor chord stuff and if you master those chords you can play a lot of AC/DC. LOL

I think the biggest thing for me is to play with other people. Watch 'em. As they play a riff, watch the technique. Ask them to show you how they did it.

I wish I had started off with an accoustic. I went electric to accoustic and my fingers kiill me when I play the accoustic.

Just keep banging away on it and before you know it, you'll be playing the solo to "Don't Tell Me"

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You know what? If I had to do it all over again, I would have started with lessons right away. When I started 18years ago I taught myself tunes on the radio (I had some piano as a kid). I actually got pretty good, but the problem was, I had no idea what I was playing, I'd hear something, figure it out then play it.

I got to the point where I could play most any tune I heard, then I decieded to get lessons, what a nightmare!! I had to unlearn so many bad habits, and try to wrap my brain around the theory for what I already knew how to play!

I found the lessons invaluable. I really didn't start writing my own stuff until I had learned how and why things work musically. I studied for 4 1/2 years under a classical teacher, went to jazz comp for a year, then stopped the lessons all together. That was 10 years ago! I have forgotten so much that it scares me, but I feel that I've developed as a musician.

Obviously not everyone is going to spend that much time being trained, but if I were you I would start lessons ASAP, and don't just learn songs!! Ask for theory, nothing heavy, just a basic understanding and go from there.

If you want to learn how to play more then chords, an electric is in order, but an acoustic is a great place to start.

Holy crap! this is long winded, sorry

Take lessons, but most importantly, HAVE FUN!!

------------------
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Someone here gave me this advice-
    Go to www.wholenote.com
    Great lessons that not only show but ley you hear what you should be playing. Better than using a book, where you may not know if what you're playing sounds like it's supposed to. It's a good place to start.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Josh,

See there's really no right answer to your question. It all depends on how much time and effort you want to invest into a piece of wood with 6 pieces of metal strung the length of it.

If you're serious about playing, do the lesson thing like homeunit suggests. If you just wanna bang out some tunes then do what I did. I would suggest a few lessons to start out to see if you like that approach.

Homeunit's right, it's hard to fiz bad habits.

It's kind of like this. I'm a pretty good shooter when it comes to basketball. But I'm the one guy you don't on your team becuase I suck at everything else. If I would have been on teams and "practiced" I would be a lot better player. But, I just like to play "Horse" so, I don't have to be that good. You need to figure out if you want to just play "horse" or be a real "ball player"

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    You can't go wrong with Mel Bay. Jimmy has a point, playing with other people can help. Watch their fingers etc. and DO NOT try and play licks first. That can kill you. Out.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chords, chords, and more chords. Just keep playing those damn things over and over. Make sure you're playing good and clean. Don't half ass 'em. I'm real lazy on a lot of stuff and I think it really hurts the sound of my chords. Rather then playing all 6 strings, I'll find myself just banging on 2 strings. That's OK for a lot of crunchy shit, but there's a lot more "sounds" that you can squeeze out of a guitar if you play all the strings. Of couse I'm just figuring that out now, so I'm still working on playing the basic stuff correctely.

BTW, Track 5 I love how you end all of your posts with "out". It's like you're on "ham radio" or a CB or something.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Yo Jimmy you are the first one who has got it. That way you know when I'm finished talking. Actually we have to do that when we speak to each other over the air at work. Out. Now you know I'm done. Just kidding. Out.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple of guys at work are into CB's and 2-ways and they're always ending everything with "Out"

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Josh,
    When I started playing, the guitar player in my band just showed me 3 chords a week to practice and so on and so on....

But the most important thing was building a solid strum hand. Play those two or three chords for a while and concentrate on your strumming, timing and string selection.

It made things much easier for me down the road.

best of luck!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got all of those Mel Bay books, and shit like that, learned a few chords from them and what not. However, it wasn't until I learned each individual note on the neck, that I got to where it all made sense to me. I started off on trumpet first, and once I learned how a major and minor scale "looked" on guitar, I started progressing faster and faster. I don't know, it's just so different for each individual when they are learning. What might have been right for one, maybe the worst thing for the other. The only advice that I will give you is to have patience with your playing. Too many times people get frustrated and just give up, and that's not something you can do with the guitar. Hell, I STILL get frustrated and I've been playing 20 years, but I forge ahead and try to land on my feet by the time the song ends.

------------------

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"...David Lee Roth

Rothenmeister
    I started with lessons at age 6 on the accoustic, and the only thing that stuck with me was learning the basic chords. When I was 14 I decided I wanted to rock and got a Bass and amp for my birthday. It was a Harmony bud! What a piece of CRAP! Anyway, my bud Kyle started playing a six string too, but he had no idea about tempo and rhythm and chord progression and anything else basically, so I kinda took over his six string! Then I managed to save enough money to buy myself a Fender Gemini IV acoustic and I love it! That was 8 years ago and it is a great instrument.

So when I got the fender, I started playing daily. When I did that I started getting good. I had taken Piano lessons and took band in junior high and choir in high school so I knew how to read music. So when I introduced myself to tabs it wasn't to hard to learn. I got in college and was a decent rhythm player, and started playing in a small blues band. Now the lead guitarist for this band his father is a local blues player that is very well known in Tulsa, and playing with himn taught me a lot. Being over at his house and having his dad there saying, why don't you guys try this and showing us, it was incredible! When I started playing with other guys and watching what they did, I started feeling like I was playing. I picked up their stuff by seeing what they were doing, and once I figured out how to do it myself, I no longer felt like I was wrestling with the strings. Every now and then I'll have a bad day, and the fingers just don't work, but I get thru 'em.

Oh yeah, when I was 20 I bought a Strat. Two years later, I replaced the factory pickups with Fender Texas Special SRV pickups. They have got some fat tone to them!

Start on the acoustic and learn your basic chords. When you can play the eight chordss and Aminor and Eminor, buy an electric. When you get the electric, learn things like your C#minor, and F#minor. When you can pick thru a little A minor C#minor F#minor run you'll be well on your way. Then buy as many tab books as you can and cool mags. Buy a guitar world that has a few tunes you wanna pick up, and after you play thru 'em, look at the page with back issues. Buy what you think is cool.

------------------
    But Now I See How You Really Are........!