Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

From VH1 through 1984.
    Favorite VH Song

Girls gone bad
    Last Online

01.24.05 @ 02:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Technically terrific, yet it sounds like a typewriter.
    Compared to this, even Malmsteen sounds spontaneous. Incredible command, anyway.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh my word !!!

Absolutely fantastic playing, yet not a drop of feeling anywhere in it.

I was amazed by what he was doing, but it just didn't move me at all.

Whoever said it sounded like a tpewriter was spot on.

Wasn't it Eddie who said something along the lines of,

"He can play one note that will leave you moved when another guy can play a thousand notes a second with no feeling"

When he was talking about Clapton or something ?

This is how this makes me feel. Amazing to watch, fantastic technique, but really, no emotion coming through in the playing at all.

Shame.

[img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you guys saw him in person you'd see there's nothing sad about him.
    He's been around for quite awhile and has reached a degree of proficiency that makes simple stuff boring for him.
    Compared to what he's able to do, what he did on there is actually quite simple for him. He can take a left handed guitar, and play it exactly the same way. Either hand makes no difference. On stage he plays 2 guitars at the same time. He plays passages on both guitars, or rythm on one, while playing lead on the other.
    It's something you've gotta see, whether it moves you or not.
    Sometimes it's just about talent, period. If that stuff was being done by a composer on a piano he'd be called a genius, but when it's played on a fret board somehow things change.
    What you saw on the clip was his metal playing, because that's how he makes his living, and he can blow virtually anyone out of the water, but on a strat or les paul he's unbelievable as well. He can play anything, and I've heard him play with amazing soul and feeling.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by tribb:
    He's been around for quite awhile and has reached a degree of proficiency that makes simple stuff boring for him.
    Compared to what he's able to do, what he did on there is actually quite simple for him. He can take a left handed guitar, and play it exactly the same way. Either hand makes no difference. On stage he plays 2 guitars at the same time. He plays passages on both guitars, or rythm on one, while playing lead on the other.
    Sometimes it's just about talent, period. If that stuff was being done by a composer on a piano he'd be called a genius, but when it's played on a fret board somehow things change.
    What you saw on the clip was his metal playing, because that's how he makes his living, and he can blow virtually anyone out of the water, but on a strat or les paul he's unbelievable as well. He can play anything, and I've heard him play with amazing soul and feeling.
    Hey tribb. I was just going from what I saw there in the clip. And it just didn't move me at all.

I wasn't calling him sad though, just that it was a shame that there was no feeling (to me anyway) in that clip of playing I saw.

However, what you describe about the two guitar playing is intriguing.

I'll stay with what I was saying, the guy is fantastic, absolutely amazing, and I'll hold my hands up, if I saw him playing live, there's no denying my jaw would be hitting the floor. Mind you, the way he was moving in that clip, two guitars doesn't look like it would be a problem for him. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But there was no feeling in that clip for me. But when you're playing at that speeds, and that sort of metal stuff, then there generally isn't any feeling.

But I wasn't calling him sad. This kind of thing doesn't move me.

But yeah, I would love to see him play some of the other stuff you describe that would move me.

Peace.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    I couldn't agree more.

I didn't watch the clip since I'm at work, but judging by the name of the link, I'm assuming we're talking about Michael Angelo?

I had the chance to see a clinic he did at a local music store several years ago. I had heard of him before and seen the clips where he played the double neck guitar....both necks at the same time. The clips in no way prepared me for what I saw and heard at that clinic.

He was a really nice guy too. The only special accomodations he required for the show was a Marshall half stack (A JCM800 I think) and a Washburn (D35 I think) acoustic guitar, and a 6 pack of 7-Up.

As impressive as his electric guitar work was, when he strapped on the acoustic, my jaw hit the floor. He was playing runs on the acoustic guitar just as fast and clean as he did on the electric.

The whole night he played with a DAT machine for backing tracks and he never missed a note. He also told little stories and jokes between burning up the fretboard. He even described how he came up with his double neck technique and showed some examples of experiments gone horribly wrong in developing the technique.

If you ever get a chance to attend one of his clinics, I highly recommend it.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow that is incredible .. i've heard of this guy but never heard him play .. that's amazing .. where can i see this 2 neck technique ?

i'm really really curious !

Rich

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Prages:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    I couldn't agree more.

I didn't watch the clip since I'm at work, but judging by the name of the link, I'm assuming we're talking about Michael Angelo?

I had the chance to see a clinic he did at a local music store several years ago. I had heard of him before and seen the clips where he played the double neck guitar....both necks at the same time. The clips in no way prepared me for what I saw and heard at that clinic.

He was a really nice guy too. The only special accomodations he required for the show was a Marshall half stack (A JCM800 I think) and a Washburn (D35 I think) acoustic guitar, and a 6 pack of 7-Up.

As impressive as his electric guitar work was, when he strapped on the acoustic, my jaw hit the floor. He was playing runs on the acoustic guitar just as fast and clean as he did on the electric.

The whole night he played with a DAT machine for backing tracks and he never missed a note. He also told little stories and jokes between burning up the fretboard. He even described how he came up with his double neck technique and showed some examples of experiments gone horribly wrong in developing the technique.

If you ever get a chance to attend one of his clinics, I highly recommend it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]He's the cat that had a doubleneck guitar sort of like a "V" that he would hold in front of him and play with both hands? Wasn't he also the guitarist for White Lion???

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think he was in White Lion, but I could be wrong. I think Vito Brata was their guitarist.
    Michael Angelo has a no. of instructional tapes out where he plays on 2 necks, and that's only to show you that you can do it.
    The series is also called the speed kills series of tapes. There are also some live cuts filmed with his band wherr he does his stuff live on stage.
    I'm not saying he's the be all and end all of guitarists. He's just an incredible player and a very nice guy, who believe it or not, is not conceited about his ability at all. He's very down to earth as a person. You just put a guitar in his hands and he becomes an alien.
    Unfortunately because of the music he's known to do live with his band he's been looped into the typewriter kind of player, which he can do extremely well, but there is so much more to his playing ability that I hope he eventually gets the recognition he deserves as a major player.
    I wasn't trying to go after anybody for anything they might have said. I realize a no. of players don't care for the speed type of playing, and although I'm not crazy about it either because it's not the type of playing I'm into either, I've heard what he can do on the other side of the coin.
    Shiro, thanks for bringing the guitar clip to the forum.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, he was in a band called Nitro back in the 80's.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Yep, that was Michelangelo, alright.

Yeah, he's a freakshow.

He's like the Larry Bird of guitar, in that it seems like mentally, his brain is 2 steps ahead of whatever his hands happen to be doing at the time. It's not just raw physical ability....it's the way his brain PERCEIVES the way the guitar should be played.

Very strange stuff, and yes, he probably gets VERY bored teaching people how to play 'Mary Had a Little Lamb'.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is so incredibly good yet so incredibly sad at the same time.

honestly, i don't know where to begin.

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Remember that big heart shaped guitar that Steve Vai had during his DLR days, the one with three necks? He admitted that he got the idea from Michael Angelo.
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Ugly ass guitar... [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shit, I thought it was awesome!!! I think there are some jealous SOB's on this board!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!