Register
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

In \'N\' Out
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, folks. If you're looking for a cool single channel(yet versatile as ALL HELL) amp with tone for days, go check out the Reverend Hellhound. I've been a fan of their guitars for a long while. Handbuilt, unique instruments for the price of an American Strat! The Hellhound has more handwiring than amps twice it's price, and has a ton of headroom "boutique" amps WISH they had !
    I was worried about no channel switching: would this amp be relegated to recording? I figured, having only limited experience in the store with one, that I could set it up clean, use an OD pedal or two, and rock the night away(hadn't though it would be my MAIN amp. Too "limited" in some respects for that I thought. I'm an idiot).
    I've been experimenting. My favorite rhythm tone is early AC/DC(a sound they've recaptured on "Stiff Upper Lip". The Mutt Lange stuff on was WAY too compressed), and of course VH. Y'know, a LOUD amp with it's power stage sweating. Tinnitus has ruled out non-master volume amps for me, but I digress...
    I have THAT sound, with the Hellhound in 40 watt mode, on the "UK" setting. It's not exactly a Marshall or HiWatt clone, but it's in the sonic ballpark. I will take advantage of the "US" settings(SWEET Fender clean) when recording. What I'm trying to do with this initial post is describe my rehearsal(and stage) settings, and how I plan to get the most out of this amp.
    OK, I have the crunch I want, but I need a LITTLE bit more "OOMPH" for leads. Enter my Reverend Drivetrain pedal(an 808 style OD). Aaaaaaaaaaah... "liquid" leads.
    But my band is pretty versatile & dynamic. What about the clean strummed and jangly bits? THIS was a surprise...
    The amp is super-sensitive to pick attack. Strum hard, the sound is hard, strum lightly, and it cleans right up. On top of that, If I use my Reverend Rocco's coil taps, to split the humbuckers, they don't push the amp so hard, but the volume is still up there. I can "change channels" with my guitar controls!! This amp is a WONDROUS throwback! Eddie didn't have dual channels. No one did "back in the day"...when you had to "play the amp". Well, those days are back for me, friends. When I record, I'll make use of the fact that the Hellhound can do Vox chiming and Fender sparkling. For live applications, I've nailed my sound. You guys HAVE to spend some time with a Hellhound.
    Did I mention it weighs 36 pounds?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dooooode,

Glad you're digging the amp! I've been impressed with the look, features, and price of their guitars, good to see those attributes on the amps as well.

36 lbs.!!??, buy two and you can do weight training [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Peace
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"