Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK guitar guys, ponder this:

The concept of taking the guitar to new heights has virtually disappeared over the last decade. The current trends and MTV influence has made any efforts of advancing the art of guitar a virtual commercial impossibility.

As a result, we are living in a day and age when we can finally pursue any and all aspects of the guitar (and music in general) with complete freedom from the whip of an overseer. So what have we been doing?

We copy other people's licks.
    We copy other people's sounds.
    We copy other people's this.
    We copy other people's that.

etc etc

Now is perhaps the BEST time to push ourselves into unexplored (or at least underexplored) territories. We can safely eschew any notions of commerciality in favor of experimenting with any one of a number of new technologies, techniques, styles, etc.

As a group, are we man enough to try? Or are we gonna wuss out?

I still hear squeaking sounds...

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As far as I'm concerned the people who have the "guts" enough to play straight ahead rock and roll are the ones who are taking the chances these days. One hand I agree with trying to take the instrument into unexplored territory but technically in my opinion that's simply not possible since guys like EVH, Malmsteen, Impellitteri, Vai all came way before us. On the other hand if someone is gonna take the instrument in a new unexplored direction it's gonna be sonically. The reason why I don't go there is because I hate that shit. Look at Tom Morello from RATM or the guitar players from Linkin Park - you give these fools a Digitech Whammy pedal and all of a sudden their "riffs" sound like broken doorbell chimes. To me being "gutsy" this day and age is to play rock music with no rapping that relys on the riffs and what the guitar player is doing as opposed to what noises he can make and then pass them off as a "riff." In other words, doing something important or revolutionary for the instrument is to take it back 15-20 years to when it mattered and bands were "guitar based." This is another reason why I don't use digital effects. I try to keep everything as basic and non-modern as possible to make sure I don't start getting into making my guitar sound like a broken doorbell chime as opposed to a Black Sabbath style riff. [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Axe is right everything has almost been done before, now if zakk wyldes black label society could go main stream that would be killer. Zakk plays a sabbath style but adds his own ozzy side to it his great lyrics and voice and great guitar solos that is where im heading the zakk way!!!
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my opinion, the people who have "the guts" enough are those who play music straight from the heart and not from the biz-wallet... forgive my way to express myself.
    I know that if today you don't look good, don't put the right wears on and don't have at least 72 girls dancin' naked showing their beauties, you are nobody.
    But I really appreciate those who don't give a damn shit about trends and still play their own music.
    Guitar-wise, it is basically the same. People learn to play two licks and an old riff, put it in a loop and play it all the way through a plastic song.
    It is easier and allow them more success than trying to improve and really say something on that piece of stringed wood.
    Moreover, at least speaking about some italian music, guitar solos are almost totally out, nowadays.

I think that it doesn't matter if what you're playing is not new or innovative, just let your feelings out and all of a sudden the guitar will sound freshier, and maybe something you will also invent something new, by a happy accident, like Eddie did...

Ciao
    [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AxeSlinger84:
    As far as I'm concerned the people who have the "guts" enough to play straight ahead rock and roll are the ones who are taking the chances these days. One hand I agree with trying to take the instrument into unexplored territory but technically in my opinion that's simply not possible since guys like EVH, Malmsteen, Impellitteri, Vai all came way before us. On the other hand if someone is gonna take the instrument in a new unexplored direction it's gonna be sonically. The reason why I don't go there is because I hate that shit. Look at Tom Morello from RATM or the guitar players from Linkin Park - you give these fools a Digitech Whammy pedal and all of a sudden their "riffs" sound like broken doorbell chimes. To me being "gutsy" this day and age is to play rock music with no rapping that relys on the riffs and what the guitar player is doing as opposed to what noises he can make and then pass them off as a "riff." In other words, doing something important or revolutionary for the instrument is to take it back 15-20 years to when it mattered and bands were "guitar based." This is another reason why I don't use digital effects. I try to keep everything as basic and non-modern as possible to make sure I don't start getting into making my guitar sound like a broken doorbell chime as opposed to a Black Sabbath style riff. [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. All guitarists do in today's bands is try to use the most amount of effects to create the weirdest, screwed up sounds. And that's why they all suck, because instead of trying to actually play the guitar, they all sit around with their fancy little gizmos making nothing but noize, and calling it great 'new' music. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't remember seeing you on here Seicorde
    but you certainly make a lot of sense. Welcome aboard.
    I completely agree with what you say.
    Guys like Stevie Ray, and Ed, etc., although in completely different worlds, style wise, were innovative simply because of what came out of their fingers.
    I don't think they were really trying so much to be different. I believe that being the players they were, they couldn't help it, if that makes any sense.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i like alot of current rock/ metal ! korn,mudvayne,nonpoint,deftones,ratm,pantera,drown ing pool, system of a down,glassjaw,sevendust,ect,ect...... why is it that if a band doesnt put a 2000 note solo in its songs it sucks? ill take a wicked riff over a classical yngwie solo anyday.......... and ive used a whammy pedal they re fun as hell !!!!!! and i have a 7 string too!!...... music is about fun and attitude and grooving. i love eddies stuff because he plays with attitude and groove. srv? attitude and groove, jimi? attitude and groove. these guys are playing with total feeling. not like some guy standing in his puffy sleeved shirt and teased hair playing 5 million note solos saying "look at me im great". id rather go to a concert where a band says "get the fuck up and feel the music"......i dont listen to all music to hear a guitar solo or pay attention to just the guitar. when i feel like doing that ill listen to vh,vai, srv or jimi. i think the guitar has been takin to all the levels it needs. now it is a matter of making sonic textures with effects,which is cool too...... well im gonna go grab my cheese while i try to learn eddies stuff and continue my search for a nice "brown" tone ,while i play heavy ass riffs on my 7 string ala korn. all the while ill have a big smile on my face because its FUN for me and it makes me happy.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh Oh, I guess I'll have to comb my hair and get rid of my puffy shirt now. And I'll try to narrow my solos down to 3 million notes.
    Damn, I've tried the newest technologies available Abe, like putting the guitar on a stand at full volume and throwing balls of steel wool at it, but nothing helps. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb...have you tried igniting the steel wool first? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, it's interesting where people took this thread, and are continuing to take this thread. My original intent was not 'daring to be different' for the sake of being different, I was leaning more toward the concept of exploring ground that, in past eras, was frowned upon due to 'market limitations'. Now that the world at large is lacking in guitar recognition, there are few boundaries or expectations. As such, this should be an explosive time for a little more creative thinking among us 'little people'.

I don't expect there to be another figure like Eddie, or for some astounding new technician capable of playing 420 notes per second with some deranged gadget. I just wonder how many guitarists out there are willing to take a few chances and really begin experimenting with things, whether it be sonic, technical, stylistic, or whatever. Better yet, a combination of the above.

Every so many years, a style or trend stagnates, and it seems everyone jumps on each bandwagon as it comes. And sadly, they continue on that bandwagon long after it's been worn out. I, for one, have some strange musical tastes; I have a great love of the classical era and 80's synth-pop, two genres that were never quite cross-pollinated. For me, it's natural to mix the two. I am not 'trying' to be different-I am just exploring being 'me'. The fact that the electric guitar was not much of a factor with either one makes it kinda strange for some to hear. Also, after years of high school band (marching and symphonic), I have THAT influence as well.

So whatever 'advancing' or 'evolving' means to everyone, I find it interesting. But what is MOST interesting is the possibility of hearing what comes as a result of this downtime for guitar-oriented music. Hopefully, with everyone here expressing their interpretation of that, and all of which are different from the next guy's, maybe some MORE ideas will spark, and we can again enjoy a fertile era of guitar playing.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well the newer music I like doesn't inspire me, to pick up my guitar and play. The new music I like is just for the way it sounds, the way it makes me bob my head, or wanna get up and jump around. Some older music will make me want to learn it cuz it sounds cool, but won't make me want to get up and have a good time. The trick is having both in your songs. Real musicianship and a song that just kicks ass!! There are few bands that do it, and none of them that have both now. Originallity on the guitar wouldn't hurt, but right now I'm just waiting to hear some real good playing from these new players.
    I am awesome

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes my thoughts come out a little jumbled because in my head it makes perfect sense but I have a hard time putting across in words what I mean. In my own little musical world I have two groups of music that I listen to - music that influences me which I take seriously and music that I like to listen to but feel it's insignificant as far as musical impact goes. When I hear SRV on the radio it's music that I dig which has a musical impact on me. Today for instance, at the BoSox game I heard that song "Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners and I like that song but never in a million years would I say "yeah that's a great song which influences me to play better." On the way home I heard a Go-Go's remix of 3 or 4 tunes which I thought was cool but it's only fun - no more, no less. Same thing as Linkin Park or virtually any other modern band for that matter. I like some stuff I hear on the radio these days which is modern music but it just doesn't have enough musically to be making any type of significant impact IMO. So when it sounds like I'm ripping on modern music or even music with no guitar in it, I'm not - in fact I like most of it, it's just that to me it's good for "fun" but nothing past that.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tribb i know you dont have the puffy shirt and teased up hair. you re too cool for that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] for real though tribb has givin me good advice on stuff and its apreciated.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick S:
    tribb i know you dont have the puffy shirt and teased up hair. you re too cool for that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] for real though tribb has givin me good advice on stuff and its apreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey...just look at what the puffy shirt was for Seinfeld! He looked like a PIRATE! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And from what I hear, once you add the steel wool hair extensions, you need never tease it again. [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]

Since fashion has suddenly reared its head into the thread, consider the following:

It is believed by many that people will live up or down to the class level of their clothing.(ie 'clothes make the man') How many of you have ever picked up your guitar while wearing a suit? A tux? While naked? Wearing filthy working-outside clothes? Did it make any difference in your playing?

Could it be possible that if some people altered their wardrobe that their entire approach to playing could change with it?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I play naked all the time [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album