Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

WHat is the big deal with all these pods?? I keep hearing all these things about Pods and stuff. I've nevr heard one. What is the big deal with them? (Pods are like effect modelators right?)

------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

"Take it off, Take it all off!"

"Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After using the pod for a short while, I find that although it's a usefull studio tool, it doesn't really capture the tube sound. It's not quite solid state sounding though either. It seemed to be somewhere in the middle ground. For live stuff I found it not to be effective at all. Sloppy sounding in the bottom end. When you clean up the bottom end it loses punch. After a lot of tweaking I found it just didn't sound as good as tubes. Like I said, it's close to a tube sound but doesn't really get there, and the more I listen, the less it sounds like it. The effects aren't as good as a lot of pedals either. I suppose your cabinet could play a big part as well as the power amp you're using, but I don't think anything sounds like a good tube amp. I guess you fool yourself into think it does though. I hear t.c. electrinocs has a much better tube, and effects emulator. A few professional studio musicians told that, so I think I'll try a t.c. model out, but I still think tubes and a good speaker is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited December 22, 2000 at 06:15 AM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

The pods are amazing little boxes that do a great ob at EMULATING various amps and effects. I say emulating because there is no substitute for a good loud tube amp pushing air through a speaker cabinet. That being said. . .these things are fantastic for recording and headphone practice. I would never use it live (unless I used the Pro version with a good tube power amp and some other goodies. . a la Ty of Kings X). For the money though, if your looking for a good way to practice at home quietly, or record onto your 4-track or hard disc recorder, the POD will give you tons of usable tones.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For whatever it's worth, I rented the rackmount version, as well as the kidney shaped unit, and used it in different modes through my marshall power amp and preamp, as well as other amps(fenders, Rivera, soldano, etc.)with no better luck. I found the amp by itself or with a pedal or 2 in front of it sounded better. It must seem like a heavy knock to pods, but it's really not.
    I just don't see spending 450. for a headphone unit, although in a pinch they're probably fine in the studio. I just don't think anyone will mistake one for a tube amp. I took the kidney shaped one on the road for a couple of weeks, hoping I could go right through the PA., and the guys I was playing for(not my own band) always told me to go straight through the amp and not use the pod after listening to the sound check. I tried it through diff. PA's, and in diff. clubs. I even tried going through the amp I was using. I don't think the rackmount version would have made any difference, cause it didn't in the studio. When you said "usable", I think that was the key word. I use a strat in 1 band and an Ernie Ball EVH in the other. The pod unit sounded better with the EVH, but that guitar sounds great in almost any amp with some gain. It still sounded better straight through the amp, than through the pod. A friend of mine at the store I go to said the pod hysteria's starting to die out. They have 2 rackmount units there as well as 4-5 kidney shaped units there, and they've been there for awhile. They've also got a few line 6 amps which aren't selling. I've found some of the line 6 amps to sound pretty good actually, cause maybe the speakers and cabs are matched better to the circuitry. I got caught up in the pod hype myself, and for awhile I thought nothing could beat them, until I used them for awhile and then realized I was wrong. You're right about Ty tabor's sound, it's great, but there are lots of other factors which contribute to his sound.
    I'm picking up a t.c. electronics unit this weekend to try for a couple of weeks, and as I'm playing in 2 bands with completely different styles of music, it'll give me a chance to try the t.c. unit out under the same circumstances. The pod unit just didn't cut it. I was disapointed, because I was hoping it would.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited December 22, 2000 at 10:32 AM).]

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited December 22, 2000 at 10:41 AM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

I realize there is more to Ty's sound than just the POD (my band toured with King's X this Fall, and I had several discussions about his set up). However, the fact remains that Ty did use a POD to record 90% of the guitar on their latest CD and he uses it in his live rig. I am not saying it was solely the POD, but whatever he used in conjunction with it, seemed to sound good to me. Tribb, don't get me wrong. . .I am a Marshall man and would really not use the POD live either, but it is still a pretty amazing little box for the money ($320).

Eruption
    Last Online

. . .and for the guys who will never get the opportunity to play through a Marshall JCM 800, Plexi, SLO-100, Mesa Boogie Mark IV, Vox AC-30, etc, the POD will really get them a close facsimile of the tones of those amps. Which is great for those guys recording in their home studios. It all kinda depends what level you're using on, you know?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

HA!

What Jape Man said

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ouch!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As an apartment dweller and home recordist, I have found that my 5150 is QUITE useless for normal purposes. (any neighbors within 300 yards rule out using it as it was meant to be used)

So, the POD has been great for me. It's small, easy to use, and I think it sounds great. Whether or not its sounds are the same as a real amp's is not an issue with me. It's quite convenient, and sounds good enough in my recordings that I'm very happy with it.

On the down side, I think the effects in it are nice to fiddle with, but they are NOT up to par. And the reverb? Well, let me just say I think it's the worst one I've heard in a LONG time. Instead of complaining that the effects aren't good enough, I simply use my trusty cheapo Digitech TSR-12.

For practice and recording, it's great. I would NOT use it live unless there was an emergency. So far, nobody who was listened to my POD recordings know what I used, and I haven't gotten any complaints, so it ain't all that bad.

On top of everything, if nothing else, the unit is FUN; it lets me use sounds that I could otherwise not obtain, which turns into a good deal of writing inspiration and variation.

I'm sure this would piss some people off, but I HATE Marshalls..I think the POD's models of them are superior to the real thing. (OH NO!!! GASP!!!)

So, just check one out..if you like it, fine...if you don't like it...that's fine too.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You hate marshalls!?!? Wha..wha..WHAT!!!
    Now that's going too far!!! Low blow.

Eruption
    Last Online

I am convinced that anyone who claims they "hate" Marshalls probably have never played one from the 70s or earlier, and probably don't gig regularly. Marshalls put out a hell of a lot of frequency. I used to play 5150s and soldanos, and I can tell you there's nothing like a good old Marshall.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jape, you da man. I couldn't have said it better.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

An OLDER Marshall is great. My buddy had a real old one and it ruled.

The funny thing I found is that when I was playing through it, I thought it sounded like shit, but when I heard the playback of a recorded rehersal it sounded unbelievable.

I would love to get hands on one of Tribbs though!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine are early 70's heads and 68 cab., but the head's not stock. It's modded for more gain, loop channel, channel switching, etc.
    My friends has an old plexi head that's sounds unreal. He has 3 of them, all stock, but one sounds like nothing I've ever heard. He bought it for a song, and I've tried to buy it off him, but he says I can line up at his funeral..lol