Thread: 5150 vs 5150 II

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

Has anyone been able to acurately compare the lead channels of both amps?

My next aquisition in my EVH rig is a 5150. The big question is which one....

I've heard someone that has both amps say, "If you're looking for tones from fuck and balance, get the 5150. If you want more classic VH tones, get the 5150 II."

Could that be considered an acurate statement?

-Frank

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I haven't heard a 5150 II yet, but I hear it is more versatile. I had a 5150 for a while, but got rid of it because it only had one sound.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL...

That one sound is what I'm looking for ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

thatslikeaskingwhatmyfavjunkfoodis
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DEAR STRANGEGREY: IF YOUR LOOKING TO AQUIRE THE 'OLD' VAN HALEN GUITAR SOUND, IT'S NOT A 5150 YOU NEED, BUT A MARSHALL, basic BOSS effects pedals and MXR flanger that's all EDDIE used back then. Pull back on your MIDS, full throttle your BASS and HI'S. PEACE OUT , APOSTLE PAUL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope, I'm looking for fuck and balance

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well Strange, I haven't had the chance to use a II, but I did own an original for 5 or so years. If you want the fuck tone the 5150 will do it nicely. Add a harmanizor and your done. The Balance tone may be a bit more elusive, depending on how anal you are about these things.

I've been told that Ed used modded 800's on that tour, and to me his tone is drastically different, (and better), then the fuck tone, which was good in itself. His effects setup was a little different sounding to me.

The other thing is the guitar you play, ed uses basswood with a maple top, so you need to keep that in mind.

Overall the big hurdle in getting that tone is the fact that Ed uses whatever amp he's using as a preamp. He runs into power amps, splits the singnal, yada yada yada. In effect he running a stereo rig, so a guitar straight into an amp might come close, but it won't be "the tone".

Add on top of that 3/4 of it comes from the hands!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the info homeunit...

I'm actually looking to chuck a harmonizer into the effects loop of the 5150...so yeah, I suspect I'll get close. I'm actually quite decided on the 5150...my question is whether its worth investigating the 5150 II or not.

I play an ernie ball axis and a wolfgang, so I've got the bases covered there....as far as fingers go, I've been told that i come pretty close to Eds tone, with my playing anyway...

Again, I'm just looking for what the subtle differences between the 5150 and the 5150 II. If that extra 12AX7 thats in the 5150 II is anywhere in the signal chain for the lead amp, it *will* change the tone someway. Just curious how...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've heard that the 5150 IIs sound like crap, too much gain, and the tone is more brittle, but I don't have any hands on experience so I don't know.

It sounds as though you'll be pretty damned close with your setup. I hope you like whatever you end up with. Have fun

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A 5150 sounds like a 5150...I am not sure if that's good or bad.....but you can't get much more out of it then what it is...Ed's amp...tuned to his ears....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well,

It's going to be used in a Van Halen Tribute band....so thats why I'm looking for the 5150...since my goal is to go after the later van halen tones, since the early stuff is done to death....

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 5150 will do fine if you're using it a Van Hagar tribute band. A 2000 dollar Eventide really isn't that necessary as all Eddie uses it for is detune chorus. Any rack unit with a good detune chorus and delay will do the trick. You may also want to get an MXR Flanger and Phase 90 since he did still use those in the Van Hagar era, like on Judgement Day, Aftershock, etc... The only differences between the two amps is the seperate eq for the clean channel, the footswitchable crunch, and a slighly different voiced lead channel, and I mean slightly, on the 5150II.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Larry J is right about the detune chorus, I used a TC Electronics G-Major, and I dialed in a pretty good simulation of the detune effect. I'm sure there's other units out there that are even cheaper that work.

I had a boss pedal a while back called Digital Dimensions and it did a good job of mimicing the detune effect as well. They're a bit tough to find, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time.

Besides, last time I tried an Eventide, I found it not to be user friendly, but that was 10 years ago, so I don't know what they're like today.

Also stay away from the reissue Phase 90s, they suck. I have an old one, and it rules, but my buddy tried the reissue the other day and it blows bad.

MXR Flangers have just rescently changed. They went from using an 18 volt power supply with no battery options, to using a 9 volt battery with a 9 volt adator option. If I were you, I'd make sure to try both the 18 volt job and the 9 volt job. I haven't tried to 9 volt one yet, but I would think that cutting the power requirments in half has to do something to the sound. Mind you I don't know shit about voltage, or electricity in general, so they may be just fine, but I'd check it out if I were you.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the VH stuff has been done to death, and then some, regardless of the era.
    It just depends on what your music preferences are, and how much fun you have playing it.
    I used a 5150 II quite a while ago, for just a weekend, and wasn't impressed over the 5150, which I fanally had enough of.
    My favorite combination right now is a strat and fender amp, but for VH type shit I still love my marshall.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    All the VH stuff has been done to death, and then some, regardless of the era.
    It just depends on what your music preferences are, and how much fun you have playing it.
    I used a 5150 II quite a while ago, for just a weekend, and wasn't impressed over the 5150, which I fanally had enough of.
    My favorite combination right now is a strat and fender amp, but for VH type shit I still love my marshall.
    Just curious on what Fender amp you got, tribb. I'm still using my Bassman and want something else.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't want to use my marshall for smaller club jams, and I'm not crazy about the way it sounds with my strat, although it sounds great with humbuckers. I tried a no. of fender amps, but wasn't happy till i accidentally stumbled across an older amp called a fender 30 in a vintage store here. I couldn't get any information on it till I phoned Paul Rivera. He worked at fender in the early 80's, before he started his own line of amps.
    Apparently someone at Fender copied the design from one of Paul's old modded vibrolux's and produced this one. The clean channel sounds like an old vibrolux, but the gain channel really puts it out. Not what you'd expect from a Fender. It uses push/pull circuitry. Paul was pretty upset at the time, and they only produced about 1200 of them before stoppping. It's all point to point wired and soldered, and all tube, with 2 6L6 output tubes, 6 preamp tubes, and a 5U4 rectifier tube. It uses 2 10" Electra Voice speakers and that little f%#@er's loud.
    the one I picked up is mint, and there was no one that could tell me anything about them except Rivera.
    You can see what it looks like here:
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/