Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How would you tap? i want to learn how. [img]smile.gif[/img] , or isnt so hard to explain.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....get the left hand strong or your neck hand strong....play the thing without picking just use you neck hand , start off , with 2 notes , then 3.and so on....the majic is in the neck hand
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

learn to crawl before you run meanstreet.

Learn the basics first, go to a teacher, learn how music works, learn some chords.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Don't even worry about tapping, you're a WAYS off from that. Just concern yourself with the basics. Learn some open chords, switching between them, maybe learn a few scales to start off. Like home said, gotta crawl before you run.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, [img]smile.gif[/img] i'll buy i video, to teach me or something.

i'm going to be famous [img]smile.gif[/img]
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by the van baron:
    .....get the left hand strong or your neck hand strong....play the thing without picking just use you neck hand , start off , with 2 notes , then 3.and so on....the majic is in the neck hand
    WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those guys are right. Don't worry about tapping till you can play a song by just strumming, and from your past posts you're still a long way from that. It doesn't sound like you're even at the crawling stage, let alone walking.
    If you really want to learn then get your dad, or a teacher to show you the basics, chords, scales, etc.
    Until then you're just blowing smoke, and not being taken seriously.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could do the "tapping" section of Eruption before I could play the rhythm section of Runnin' With the Devil.....and almost 10 years later...I think all that emphasis on flash has hurt my playing ability.

I know the tricks....but as a player....overall....I suck....

Meanstreet....just keep playing those chords as cleanly as possible.....listen to your chords as you play them....make sure it's clean.....so you don't end up like me........doin' pick slides and squeals, yet struggling with very basic tunes.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where I live, it seems to be a big competition within people who know me to find someone whose better than me. Most of these people don't play guitar and say stuff like "that guy can play really fast but he had a hard time playing 'that Tool song.'" When I hear something like this I just kinda laugh because as far as I'm concerned it's impossible to be a "speed demon" on the fretboard but not be able to string a few chords together. Music just doesn't work like that. It's like anything else - it takes a ton of work to learn and after you learn, the battle still isn't over because you've gotta work to keep your ability and keep on learning and getting better. Start from the ground up. They don't build skyscrapers by putting the roof on them first. Learn some chords.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i know one chord, that my dad taught me, its the one when you play on You Really Got Me, but i dont know what the chord is called. ?????

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Uh there are lots of chords in "You Really Got Me."
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No the one where eddie begins DUH NUH NU NUH, NUH. Its two spaces from the top by the tune area.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would say A is the chord you mean mean_street - that's the one that I would say YRGM is based around.

And Brett, I don't know about mean_street being WAY off from tapping - it was one of the first things I ever learnt - way before any orthadox soloing techniques! I actually think the tapping parts of most VH solos are the easiest parts. I still struggle like fuck with eruption... EXCEPT the tapping part which I can play properly.

I take your point though - not to bother with tapping so soon. Although it was one of the first things I learnt, I kind of regret it a bit - I would have much rathered gaining knowlage about scales etc. I'm like jimmy (who posted a few times back) - I can do all the flashy tricks but I pretty much suck as an overall guitar player. Its kind of funny - all my friends think I'm really good but any guitarist could tell that I'm shit. I can't get my stuff clear enough - its too muddy and messy. My advise to mean_street would be to make sure you can play clearly and crisply - that's something I really wish I could do better.

[ March 13, 2002 at 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Romeo Delight ]</p>
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tapping is only good when used sparingly anyway. It's got 1983 written all over it when you hear it - I always kinda looked at it as a cheap way to play fast. It sounds cool here and there but the triplets get old after a while. Vai and Reb Beach do cool stuff with it because they expand upon what Eddie started. Legato is definitely hot shit but I think one would get much more out of right hand picking exercises than learning how to tap.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, i know all the flashy tricks too, and i seriously suck. [img]redface.gif[/img]

so i'm with the rest, learn to crawl before you run. [img]smile.gif[/img]