Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.04.07 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All, Looking at purchasing another amp...
    Looking at Soldano SLO 100, Decatone, Hot Rod 50 or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier / Triple Rectifier...any suggestions? Comparisons?
    Thanks in Advance [img]smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Go with the Boogie!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gut feeling: Boogie!
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Boogie

Boogie

Boogie
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jati:
    Looking at Soldano SLO 100, Decatone, Hot Rod 50 or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier / Triple Rectifier...any suggestions? Comparisons?
    Sorry but I'm gonna go against everyone else and say SLO or Decatone. If you have the cash for the SLO I would get it. With the SLO you're going to have THE high gain amp. Michael Soldano has said on numerous times that the 5150 and Rectifier preamps are copies of his SLO preamp design. With SLO you are going to have a much easier time getting YOUR own sound out of it, and you'll have something that not as many people have. The Rectifier is great at what it does, but I think the SLO is a much better amp. Sorry, flame all you want, but I don't like the Rectifiers at all, and I've spent a lot of time with them, tweaking trying to find something that didn't sound like Heavey Metal or New Metal, but thats all I could get it to do, and I sat with Rectos with 6l6's and EL34s, messed with every channel in vintage and moder modes and all I could get out of it was a Metal sound. With the SLO I sat down with I got usable blues, rock, hard rock, and metal. I personally wouldn't buy either of the amps, because all I use is a cranked Marshall and adjust with a volume knob so I have no need for an amp that does anything but Marshall. Basically my opinion is that the Recto to my ears only does the Recto sound and the SLO can do Marshally and Rectoish sounds, and in over all tone the SLO wins hands down.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.29.12 @ 02:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Boogie...ANY Boogie.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

whew, i don't know much about technical shit, but the boogies are cool, imo. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by LarryJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jati:
    Sorry but I'm gonna go against everyone else and say SLO or Decatone. If you have the cash for the SLO I would get it. With the SLO you're going to have THE high gain amp. Michael Soldano has said on numerous times that the 5150 and Rectifier preamps are copies of his SLO preamp design. With SLO you are going to have a much easier time getting YOUR own sound out of it, and you'll have something that not as many people have. The Rectifier is great at what it does, but I think the SLO is a much better amp. Sorry, flame all you want, but I don't like the Rectifiers at all, and I've spent a lot of time with them, tweaking trying to find something that didn't sound like Heavey Metal or New Metal, but thats all I could get it to do, and I sat with Rectos with 6l6's and EL34s, messed with every channel in vintage and moder modes and all I could get out of it was a Metal sound. With the SLO I sat down with I got usable blues, rock, hard rock, and metal. I personally wouldn't buy either of the amps, because all I use is a cranked Marshall and adjust with a volume knob so I have no need for an amp that does anything but Marshall. Basically my opinion is that the Recto to my ears only does the Recto sound and the SLO can do Marshally and Rectoish sounds, and in over all tone the SLO wins hands down.</font>[/QUOTE]Intresting take Larry. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the Recto line. They're sooo versitile that any slight turn of a knob can completely change your tone. My buddies dual can dial up a ton of drastically different tones. Marshally, 5150ish, Soldanoish, etc.
    I've played an SLO on a few ocasions, and I really don't care for them. Too gainy, too fuzzy, too processed sounding, and too fucking much money! lol I guess I just don't know how to work them.
    It seems like the market is saturated with Rectos these days, and 99% of what I hear is shit. Guys seem to dial up WAY too much gain, and it sounds like they eq in the shape of a smile. The Triple Rec is a fire breathing beast from hell. It has almost every concievable option in it, and I think it takes a lot of tweaking and messing around to get a handle on them.
    At this point, I'm more then happy with my marshal, but I do think I'll get into a recto as well once I can afford it.
    I think the thing to do is really try a bunch a different amps, and see which one meets your needs.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[/qb][/QUOTE]Intresting take Larry. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the Recto line. They're sooo versitile that any slight turn of a knob can completely change your tone. My buddies dual can dial up a ton of drastically different tones. Marshally, 5150ish, Soldanoish, etc.
    I've played an SLO on a few ocasions, and I really don't care for them. Too gainy, too fuzzy, too processed sounding, and too fucking much money! lol I guess I just don't know how to work them.
    It seems like the market is saturated with Rectos these days, and 99% of what I hear is shit. Guys seem to dial up WAY too much gain, and it sounds like they eq in the shape of a smile. The Triple Rec is a fire breathing beast from hell. It has almost every concievable option in it, and I think it takes a lot of tweaking and messing around to get a handle on them.
    At this point, I'm more then happy with my marshal, but I do think I'll get into a recto as well once I can afford it.
    I think the thing to do is really try a bunch a different amps, and see which one meets your needs.[/qb][/QUOTE]

I definitely see where you're coming from talking about a lot of players (especially the guy from Creed) with horrible Recto tone. I'm not fond of Rectos but I know they sound a heck of a lot better than that buzzy stuff that he's got coming from his Recto. You're correct that the SLO does have a lot of gain(just like the Rectos and 5150s). I think the SLO and Recto have 5 gain stages, and the 5150 has 6. And with guys like me and you who like a Marshall type gain, only the first 2 or 3 gain stages are what we would call "usable gain", and probably less than that when you add in power tube breakup. The guys who like really high gain use the 4th and the beginnings of the 5th stage. The SLO is the same deal as the Recto as the 5150, the tone gets smoother and less buzzy with the power tubes working harder. And the power section is the main reason I prefer the the SLO over the Recto, the SLO power section cranked up gets real greasy and Marshally, and the Recto gets more chunky metal type attack(nothing wrong with that, especially if thats what you're going for). But you're definitely right that you just have to try out the amps and find what works for you. Hey, at least we agree on the Marshall! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ February 15, 2002 at 09:26 PM: Message edited by: LarryJ ]</p>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Homeunit:
    I think the thing to do is really try a bunch a different amps, and see which one meets your needs.
    Good advice. Let your ears decide. If the SLO sounds best to you, then that's the one to go for, but weigh it against the others.