Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I begin, I'm with the general consenus that Ed's tone is in his hands. However, I also believe equipment choice is just as important. I just bought a 1996 EBMM natural quilt top axis. Needless to say I'm in love. I play it through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I'm not getting that vintage Eddie tone. Anybody have any suggestions/recommendations on how I can get closer to Ed's tone without buying a new amp?
    Chris

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To my ears, the Fender Hot Rod series have a very raspy, sloppy distortion to them, as though they were trying to simulate a fried speaker or something. Much better suited to blues than rock. Ed's tone was a little more on the metal side of things.

To get closer to Eddie's early tone, a Fender usually isn't the best choice. I don't know how much $$ you are willing to spend, but finding a separate preamp and running it into the power amp in jack may be a better setup. You would need something with a tighter gain structure.

If you don't want to go that far, boosting the mids BEFORE the preamp section is a start, maybe somewhere around 1.2KHz or so, to focus the sound. It's a tough sound to get though, hopefully some of the other guys here can help you more than I can.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with AVH. I think you should take it a step farther and off the fender for something that'll get you closer to Ed's sound. There's any no. of amps that will do it bettere than a fender. I'm not knocking fender amps. Like AVH says, they are good blues amps and have their purpose. The sound you're after just isn't one delivered by a fender unless it has some serious modifications done, and then you might as well start off with an amp that will get you almost there to begin with.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

For the amp you currently have, try setting your pre gain around 5 or 6, and cranking your post. It's going to be loud, but give it a shot. Don't dump all of your midrange frequency out, and pump up your bass frequency. If the amp has reverb dial in around 3 or 4. Try that. But, tibb and the other guys are right, Fender amps aren't really in the VH tone recipe. Good luck, and have fun with what you have. You could also buy a TS-9 tubescreamer and that will get you closer to a VH tone with your Hot Rod Deluxe.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. My search for the holy grail of tone continues...
    Chris