Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are your opinons on the Wolfgang, vs. the Wolfgang Special? I like the bright tone that the maple gives, and the looks of the Wolfgang. However the low cost of the special, and the lack of a tone knob( I agree w/Ed, I never REALLY use mine either. It IS pretty much all the way up, period, as he says). I even prefer the 'flat top' over the carved sometimes. What about you guys?

BTW I have to commend Ed on the price, availability, and quality on his signature axes. Not too many rich artists would make sure there was a quality low cost version of such a product. Very hands on and it shows, thanks Ed.
    "We don't need no stinkin' click!" -AL<br /><br />Here’s my 10 cents. My 2 cents is free. A nuisance, who sent, you send for me? -Eminem/The Eminem Show<br /><br />No. Now take off my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they breakup. -Adam Sandler/The Wedding Singer<br /><br />He's got huge, sharp, pointy....look at the bones! -John Cleese/Monty Python<br /><br />You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!?-Adam Sandler/Happy Gilmore<br /><br />Tell 'em I want some snatch by the pool!-?/Slap Shot<br /><br />For such a small town, it sure has alot of assholes! -Classic bumper sticker!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the specials sounds to me too much like a strat, something i'm not fond of. kinda cheap sounding.

the standard to my ears has a wonderfull tight tone without too much high and and too much deep end ... just a great tonal balance.

in regards to body shape, i don't like the rounded flat body of the special either, it just looks cheap as well (sorry, i'm a designer which means im finicky! lol ). if it was bound like the music man it would be okay - but in that case the musicman body would look better anyway. i've seen musicman axis bodies with wolfie necks on ebay that just look amazing!

personally, i will never own a special.

however, ed and other guitarists that i've listened to seem to make the special sound wonderfull tho!

[ September 06, 2002, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My two cents. I currently own a Special and a Standard. I had another Standard that I traded earlier this year on another guitar. Anyway, I play my Special probably 90% of the time. Sorry to disagree with the above post, but it in no way sounds like a Strat. It does sound somewhat different than my Standard, but not THAT much. I like the flat body a little more than the carved top, and I also like the rounded edges as I find the Standard digs into my arm a bit. Quality wise they are the same minus the cosmetic enhancements on the Standard. All in all I think the Wolfgang USA made Special is a damn good guitar for the bucks. It's pretty much all I've played for 3 years now.

Don't forget the middle of the road Flame Top Special if you like the nice tops on the Standard.

T

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

It's a foregone conclusion that at some point I'll add a used Wolf Special to my collection.

Wolfgangs (of any type) are just flat-out fun to play, period.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Agius9:
    What are your opinons on the Wolfgang, vs. the Wolfgang Special? I like the bright tone that the maple gives, and the looks of the Wolfgang. However the low cost of the special, and the lack of a tone knob( I agree w/Ed, I never REALLY use mine either. It IS pretty much all the way up, period, as he says). I even prefer the 'flat top' over the carved sometimes. What about you guys?

BTW I have to commend Ed on the price, availability, and quality on his signature axes. Not too many rich artists would make sure there was a quality low cost version of such a product. Very hands on and it shows, thanks Ed.
    My 2 cents here is that the flametop standards are too high endy or Bright for my taste and too expensive, I like the Special better *but* I'd also rather be hit by a truck than burned alive,
    I think the solid color standards sound too close to the specials to be worth any more $$ and I'm not real thrilled with an archtop guitar.
    The flametop Specials however are nice but since they have the QT EX for the $$ I'd go Korean, there just isn't that much difference and you can get one for a little over $500 and they are worth it.
    Over all I'd take the EBMM EX over any Wolf anyday, I've seen to many of the specials in the last 3-4 years and they are just too inconsistant
    in sound and playability you can pick up 3 of them and get 3 differnt guitars IMO.
    my 2 cents [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.
    www.rolsguitars.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I AGREE WITH ROL ACCEPT I WOULDN'T GO WITH THE KOREAN AT ALL.I BOUGHT ONE A MONTH AGO AS A BACK UP TO MY EBMM GUITARS AND THE DAMN THING WILL NOT HOLD A SET UP OR STAY IN TUNE PAST ONE OR TWO DIVE BOMBS WITH THE ROSE.I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH THIS THING. I TOOK IT APART AND CHECKED EVERYTHING OUT AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND SET IT BACK UP JUST LIKE I HAVE MY EBMM AND IT JUST WON'T STAY IN TUNE OR HOLD IT'S SET UP.SOFT WOOD OR WHAT I DON'T HAVE A CLUE. IT SURE IS NICE TO LOOK AT THOUGH!!!!!! EXPENSIVE EYE PIECE THAT'S ALL IT'S GOOD FOR
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...896498028&rd=1

[ September 07, 2002, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: GEC5150 ]
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The necks of a standard and special feel very different to me. The standard feeling much nicer. In fact, at this point its my favorite neck I've played. Technically I think the only difference in the necks is that the standard is birds eye maple and the special is plain maple though. And I do like the archtop body of the standard.
    Anyhow, play em both...and play a bunch of them and see for yourself. The specials are a pretty good value it seems.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by GEC5150:
    I AGREE WITH ROL ACCEPT I WOULDN'T GO WITH THE KOREAN AT ALL.I BOUGHT ONE A MONTH AGO AS A BACK UP TO MY EBMM GUITARS AND THE DAMN THING WILL NOT HOLD A SET UP OR STAY IN TUNE PAST ONE OR TWO DIVE BOMBS WITH THE ROSE.I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH THIS THING. I TOOK IT APART AND CHECKED EVERYTHING OUT AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND SET IT BACK UP JUST LIKE I HAVE MY EBMM AND IT JUST WON'T STAY IN TUNE OR HOLD IT'S SET UP.SOFT WOOD OR WHAT I DON'T HAVE A CLUE. IT SURE IS NICE TO LOOK AT THOUGH!!!!!! EXPENSIVE EYE PIECE THAT'S ALL IT'S GOOD FOR
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...896498028&rd=1
    hey are you interested in sending it to me and letting me see if I can fix it ?? no charge other than shipping .
    lemme know
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Majestic:
    [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Hey dude, what gives? I haven't betrayed the team!

I meant that someday, I'll have a Wolfgang Special that I'll plunk around on from time to time, sort of like a "pet b*tch", ya know?? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

I'm still an Axis man, all the way! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

*** DISCLAIMER: "of any type" doesn't include the Korean Schmolfgang

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rol check your mail
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by homeunit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Majestic:
    [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Hey dude, what gives? I haven't betrayed the team!

I meant that someday, I'll have a Wolfgang Special that I'll plunk around on from time to time, sort of like a "pet b*tch", ya know?? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

I'm still an Axis man, all the way! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

*** DISCLAIMER: "of any type" doesn't include the Korean Schmolfgang
    </font>[/QUOTE]that a boy [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I prefer the Special. However, from this, I mean I preferred the Special that was in the shop to the Standard that was in the shop.

I played Ibanez, Fenders, The Special, a Standard, an Axis and a Music Man. For me, it was the Wolfgang Special Flametop.

Got it for the price of a Special. I guess the maple top made the sound for me. But of the guitars I played it was the easiest, most comfortable and most versatile of the lot.

So it came home with me.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer a Standard the next time I go shopping.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.06.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

?
    Originally Posted by vanzefflin
    This configuration cancels noise or cyclical hum. Hence, the name humbucker. It bucks hum.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Goldtop Standard, and a Flametop Special. I play the Special a lot more than I play the Standard. At one point, I swapped necks between the two and guess what...the only difference was appearance. Maybe I got lucky and got two VERY similar necks, but I could feel little if any difference between the two. I prefer the looks of the Flametop Special, but I don't think the regular Specials look too good at all. I like my guitars to be a little flashy, I guess. Both guitars have VERY similar tone, with the Standard having a slightly thicker tone, but not really enough difference to fret over...no pun intended.

BTW, Peavey's customer service is great. I recently had to send my Goldtop (1998 model, bought new in 1998 and played A LOT since then, I didn't get the Flametop until 2001) back to Peavey to have it re-painted. The paint started flaking off of it. I don't know why, and I don't really care. I sent it back to Peavey with a copy of the sales receipt from December of 1998, and they stripped the body and repainted it at no charge. It now looks even better than it did when I bought it, since there was a small blemish in the paint when I bought it. All it cost me was the price of shipping it to Peavey ($17).

While I'm not happy that such an expensive axe had such a major aesthetic problem after only 4 years, I give Peavey a lot of credit for standing behind their products.

Take that for what it's worth.