Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations man. I love that new guitar feel, its pretty cool. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. Got any Pics?

[ June 12, 2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: NxtVanHalen. ]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, congrats dude. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i gotta say, the tone of the wolf is soooo much nicer than the good ol' evhebmm. the musicman sounds so tinny compared to the wolf.
    Are you serious?

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

haha!

like you care, but everyone gets one eventually. anyway, learned to play satrianis 'tears in the rain' and little bit of 'lenny' by srv.

i gotta say, the tone of the wolf is soooo much nicer than the good ol' evhebmm. the musicman sounds so tinny compared to the wolf. the wolf has a coll 'springy bubblegum' sound to my ears (sorry for the technical jargon there, thats the only way i can describe the sound)

[img]smile.gif[/img] anyway, i don't regret a penny spent. i woulf recommend everyone that hasn't go try one for your self at your local music dealer.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh yeah, and ac/dc's back in black just sounds right being played on this thing. weird, i think it's just me tho.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> i gotta say, the tone of the wolf is soooo much nicer than the good ol' evhebmm. the musicman sounds so tinny compared to the wolf.
    Are you serious?</font>[/QUOTE]I was thinking the same thing, maybe your wiring is screwed up on your EVH MM?

[ June 12, 2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: homeunit ]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Come on...its that awesome Basswood in the Peavey........that Hartley guy gets only the premium Basswood......not that shit stuff over at MusicMan!!
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't buy that the "wolf is so much nicer" in respects to an EBMM. I recently acquired one after having a WOLF and a Wolf Special.
    As far as personal preference, that's fine. But as far as that being Fact, no...

I like both instruments, and they have similar/different tonal characteristics. I found the EBMM to have more of a not unpleasant midrange punch, while the Wolf seems to be more on the bassy side with good top end.

I'd hate to say that it has a more balanced string response than the Wolf, but that is the best assessment I can come up with so far. I'm not saying that I'll play any one instrument more than the other, just that its personal preference.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehehe

*erm* no, i just don't like the sound. it's a completely different, tinny, chimey sound. you can hear it all over f.u.c.k. Ed of course makes it sound great. but, it's all subjective in the end, no?

i'll post pics as soon as i get the digital cam workin again.

thx for the kind words all!

[ June 12, 2002, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by lil'devil:
    hehehe

*erm* no, i just don't like the sound. it's a completely different, tinny, chimey sound. you can hear it all over f.u.c.k. Ed of course makes it sound great. but, it's all subjective in the end, no?

i'll post pics as soon as i get the digital cam workin again.

thx for the kind words all!
    well if you're unhappy with it, look me up. I live in Vancouver as well, and be happy to take it off your hands.

[ June 12, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: homeunit ]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> i gotta say, the tone of the wolf is soooo much nicer than the good ol' evhebmm. the musicman sounds so tinny compared to the wolf.
    Are you serious?</font>[/QUOTE]you know tribb it could be true, the sound difference from wolf to wolf is so big I can believe it, I have had specials that were so awesome sounding that I liked 'em better than the MM and then I have had some shitty sounding ones (like now) that I don't even play unless I have to.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea Rol, you're probably right. All the wolfs I had sounded quite different from each other, while the EVH's tend to some very much alike from one to another.
    I think the wolf has more bass responce to it and maybe that's what a number of players look for, but the MM EVH is better balanced and has a better cut and tone as far as I'm concerned.
    I really liked the sound of the FUCK album. That midrange nasally sound gives the guitar real vocal quality that I don't hear in the wolf. Eventually they all became boring to play cause there wasn't anything unique about the wolf's sound. The EVH on the other hand has it's own tone that other guitars have tried to copy but haven't seemed to be able to from what I've heard.
    When cranked I also thought the EVH has a cleaner more distinct lead sound. I also found the EVH's to have better sustain and clarity.
    Some of the wolfs I played were very coarse and gritty sounding, even at low volumes, but some were ballsy when cranked.
    This isn't a comparison as to which is better, because sound is subjective to the listener.
    I just can't see the EVH sound as being called tinny.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sound is subjective to the listener.
    I just can't see the EVH sound as being called tinny.
    I have to agree there, I missed that quote, there is no way I would call that guitar tinny unless a coil was out or something.
    I was just saying that it is possible to get a Wolf that sounds as good or even better than the MM, I've had one and like a dummy sold it when I got in a bind on orders.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I'm told, the Balance album was done with his EBMM guitar doing at least 75% of the work, so I'm not sure which songs you mean.
    The wolf was still in it's prototype stages at that point. If you saw him live during that tour, when the songs were already recorded you'd notice that he's using his EBMM guitar for just about everything.
    While it's true that the EBMM EVH resonates better when unplugged, that is a better acoustic sound then the wolf, which sounds pretty dead when unplugged. I figure that's because the graphite rods in the neck of the wolf absorb and deaden the sound.
    With what I've found over the years the only way a guitar would be affected by a flatter acoustic sound is if you swapped the same identical pickups in a wolf or EVH guitar for instance.
    I've also got to make it clear that I'm not talking about the axis in any way.
    Although the axis is a pretty good looking guitar, it is NOT an EBMM EVH and doesn't sound like one.
    If your going to make a comparison then you've got to go for the real thing.
    I've heard the arguments over and over about the tone zone and air norton in the EVH. I don't know what they use in the axis, but it's definately not a TZ or AN in the original EVH.
    I also know what SD says, but when they were designing the pickup for the evh, Ed could have said, no problem, just slap a tone zone in and were done. If you know about the evolution of those pickups you'd know that's not true. I've tried both tone zones as well as AN's and they sound nothing like the original.
    I also got rid of more than one axis because they didn't sound like the original evh.
    I'm getting way off topic too here, but what I'm trying to say is that the acoustic ring a guitar has when unplugged isn't a major factor unless you're using single coils, or very low output humbuckers.
    Ed has a preference for guitars that are very light in weight, and when he designed the original evh I'm sure the way it rang acoustically was a factor. I assume he was going for the same type of ring to the wolf, but once you put graphite rods in the neck the acoustics change.
    I remember him saying he wanted to be able to pick up a guitar in any store and be able to take it onstage, and have it sound and feel the same. That was true with the EBMM EVH, they have a very uniform feel and sound, but I don't think it is with the wolf. No 2 wolfs feel or sound the same.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay, try this:

maybe i'm crazy but go to a store that has both, pickup a wolf and strum it acoustically. then pickup an axis and strum that acoustically. don't plug it in, listen to its natural tone.

my theory on guitar sound is that the acoustic sound is the first basic tonal quality. you add an amp and that 'colours' the sound (you can still hear the original tone underneath the amp colour no matter what amp you use, try it). add a monster guitar player like ed, vai or vaughn and they coulour the natural tone of the guitar some more.

okay sometimes this is coloured by the amp so much that you can't really tell any more. but strum the axis acoustically, strum the wolf acoustically then go straight to your car or whatever and listend to some stuff off of pundcake and the balance. can you hear the guitar tones under ed and under his amps?

maybe i'm just hearing what i want to hear, but to me the axis resonates like crazy and you can hear that exact sound under all the f.u.c.k. songs. wheras the wolf doesnt resonate quite the same and you can hear that on balance. take it another step further, pickup any, absolutely any strat and strum it acoustically - then listen to vaughn (or anyone that plays a strat). you can hear that tone underneath his amazingly powerful sound and the colours of that wacky fender amp that he uses.

guys like ed and vaughn seem to really go for a more cleaner acoustical sound to me, whereas guys that play pantera/metalica kind of thing just wash over the acoustic sound of a guitar with the colour of their amp. you can do the same to a tele, gibson sg or les paul although it less evident to me on asian made guitars for some reason.

but then again, maybe i'm making a big thing about nuthin.

[ June 14, 2002, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]