Register
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

10.29.11 @ 12:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Squire Strat silver series made in japan that I bought second hand, it plays well and can sound pretty good when playing van halen material with beleive it or not the original pickups it came with. Anyway I have a strange problem with it and stay with me as I explain. It has a standard strat style tremelo system that is set only to bend down, not floating.

When I bend the tremelo down, when I return it to its position the top 3 strings (G B E), are all at a higher tuning which puts any further in-tune playing down the toilet. But get this, when I bend each of the out of tune strings up say at the 7th fret usually, they return almost to the perfect in-tune position, weird huh?

Now before you suggest the following things I have already done them; bought new tremelo springs, and put graphite (lead pencil) in the nut after cleaning the shit that may build up in the nut after a set of strings have had their life.

Can anyone suggest any way I can solve this problem.
    "What is understood need not be discussed, and i'm a bad ass mother".

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Sounds like your problem is with your nut and or string wrapping technique.

The nut issue, you seem to know about. You may have to replace it, or file the slots to take off whatever's getting hung up there.

String wrapping is your likely problem. If you put too many wraps around your tuning post, the string can get hung up in the existing wraps. What I've always done is make sure that when I change the strings I keep solid tension on the string as it's being wound on, and I make sure that each wrap is stug up against the previous wrap. I put on as few wraps as I can get away with. I've found that if there are too many wraps, and they're not stug together, the string can fall into one of those grooves and get hung-up. I've had the exact same problem you're describing, and I've found the solution lies in your wrapping skills
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah man thats what I'll try, thanks. I have the habit of filling the tuning peg with one layer of string from top to bottom. Next time I'll put less and give it a try. thanks.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi 316. Your problem is one that a lot of strats have. What's happening is, when you push down on the whammy you're physically not just dropping pitch. The strings are sliding towards the headstock through the slots in the nut and then hanging up near the pegs, so when you release the bar they aren't sliding back through to full extention. That's why when you bend them they sound fine. By bending you're pulling them back through the slot. Graphite on the nut doesn't do much. You might want to try a drop of oil that contains tefflon on each slot when you put a new set of strings. Put the drop right on the string where it sits over the slot.
    If you're using a heavier guage of string than the slot is cut for then have someone cut the slot slightly larger with a slot file.
    A real graphite nut might help as well.
    You can also spend 25 or so and get a wilkinson roller nut installed, which will eleiminate your problem as well, but try the oil first.
    If you really like the guitar and it sounds like you do, you can always get a set of locking tuners as well. Just put the string in the tuner, hand tighten it and it'll never slip.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    If you really like the guitar and it sounds like you do, you can always get a set of locking tuners as well. Just put the string in the tuner, hand tighten it and it'll never slip.
    If the strings are binding in the nut, then would locking tuners really help? I'd take care of the nut first and if it still goes out of tune, then get some locking tuners.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

There are a few things you can try. I would get a graphite nut installed on it. The strings being over wound can be a real problem. On the low he you want about three windings. On the high e I would say around 5. There are a multitude of problems you could be having. My suggestion would be give up the bar or sell your guitar and buy one with a floyd rose. The problem being the more things you try to fix it the more costly it will be. These days you can get a Charvel, Jackson or Ibanez with a Floyd for around $300.00. Sinking a bunch of money into a guitar that may never stay in tune properly is a waste.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the strings are binding in the nut, then would locking tuners really help? I'd take care of the nut first and if it still goes out of tune, then get some locking tuners.
    One has nothing to do with the other. I was just giving 316 a couple of options which would eliminate any problems with the nut, and "also" any potential problems with overwinding or underwinding at the peg when using a strat trem.
    By replacing the tuners with locking tuners the problem of winding is eliminated, no matter how hard you use the whammy.
    Like I said, one has nothing to do with the other, but if you read my post you'd see that.
    Since 316 is happy with his guitar as it is there's no point in trying to talk him into changing guitars or installing a floyd which would alter the sound up of his strat.
    It sounds like he's got a good instrument already.
    The replacement nut and locking tuners just allow players to play more aggrssively and keep their guitars in tune.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, at the moment I have no intention of spending money on another guitar just yet, i'll wait till I have enough to get something good made in the USA. As for my Strat, it is a good guitar and I payed little for it. I just want to get this sorted out as best as I can for a reasonable price because even though its a cheap guitar, it is a good playing guitar.
    As for instally a floyd, it just doesn't seem worth it, so first I'll look at the nut situation and stop over-winding my strings.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:

Like I said, one has nothing to do with the other, but if you read my post you'd see that.
    Well, I agree that one has nothing to do with the other. I did in fact read your original post...completely through, otherwise I would not have quoted it. Maybe I lost an interpretation somewhere, but the way it reads to me is that you can try oiling the nut, replacing the nut, recutting the slots, a combination of the three...or you can replace your tuners. I was just clarifying what could be construed as confusing wording since throughout your post you are talking about problems with the nut and how to resolve them, not the windings on the tuning pegs, then you threw in the locking tuners. I just wanted to point out that just replacing the original tuners with locking tuners will not help at all if the nut is at fault.

No offense meant...and none taken. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]