Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoping some of the Peavey Wolfgang owners will respond to this one. I've been thinking long and hard about getting a Wolfgang Standard (USA made) for some time now, but the music stores around my area don't have any in stock, so I've not had the opportunity to test drive one. I do have an Ernie Ball Axis, however, and that's a great guitar. That's probably as close as I'm gonna get to having an EBMM/EVH guitar. I imagine I'd have to find a Peavey Dealer and order one, since I don't really trust e-bay. With the hefty price tag, would a Wolfgang really be worth it?
    Jim Bailes

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Jim-
    I'll be the first tho chime in and say that the best advice would be to actually look for and try one out for yourself and see if you like playing it. I, myself have two Wolf Specials and am very happy with them. There are others on this board who don't care for Wolfs and have their own opinions, which vary because of folk's personal tastes...I am of the opinion however, that the Wolfs are a bit over priced, and with some searching, you CAN find Wolfs cheaper than the list price. I happened to get my two Specials, one new and one used, on ebay for much less than the list price.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good advice. tyry one out first if you can. If you can't then you can get a nice one on ebay.
    You just have to be careful. Ebay has a 3rd party system you can use, whereby you send the funds to a bonded 3rd party that ebay provides. When they receive the money they send you the instruments and send the owner the money. I believe there's a 25. cost for it, but if you're worried that's the way to go.
    I've bought a number of guitars off ebay using the normal methods, and have never had a problem.
    Find someone with a good no. of feedbacks who's sent guitars in the past. I'm sure it'll be fine if you're carefull.
    You can always check your local paper for sales of wolfs as well.
    Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've played them and like them...I guess I'm just not enough of a player to feel $2,500 in my hands when I hold one...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion here is that if you play one and you like it and you have the money buy it, if you want to save a buck as others have said you can usually find them used much cheaper what I think they should sell for new, but that is just my opinion,
    I have had several and some I have liked and some I havn't,I don't like the standards at all either model I think the special is the way to go, my current one I have I don't like but I can't sell cause it's striped [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dirtymovie:
    Hoping some of the Peavey Wolfgang owners will respond to this one. I've been thinking long and hard about getting a Wolfgang Standard (USA made) for some time now, but the music stores around my area don't have any in stock, so I've not had the opportunity to test drive one. I do have an Ernie Ball Axis, however, and that's a great guitar. That's probably as close as I'm gonna get to having an EBMM/EVH guitar. I imagine I'd have to find a Peavey Dealer and order one, since I don't really trust e-bay. With the hefty price tag, would a Wolfgang really be worth it?
    I personally like the guitar, and own both a standard and a special.

I can't stress this enough: Unless it is impossible to acquire the guitar used, then go ahead and buy it new.

However, if it is possible, which it is quite possible with Wolfs, buy that sucker used, absolutely...I haven't heard about that third party thing Tribb was talkin about, but it sounds like a good deal. I haven't been stiffed on ebay once yet, and have bought amps, guitars, effects, memorabilia, you name it...

Good luck man, and if you can, get a flame top...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the special is a terrible guitar. the wood of the neck is different ... even if it is maple its definately a different grade and really changes the tone to that of a mexican strat.

that standard is a great guitar, but way over priced. basically if you look at ebay, the market thinks 800-900 us is what it's worth. that's what i feel its worth too, not a penny more.

basically if you buy it from ebay, and don't like it, you can resell it on ebay for about the same price. buy it at the store and you loose 1500 as soon as they give you the receipt.

[ May 09, 2002 at 11:34 PM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]</p>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

In \'N\' Out
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to object to "the Special is a Terrible guitar". I missed my Wolfgang Special(had to sell it a couple years back), and recently got a replacement. It is the only solidbody in my collection(my other guitars are Reverends), and the only one that passed my "what I feel I deserve for this amount of money" test.
    My Special plays & sounds FANTASTIC, the quality is beyond reproach. Considering the only other major American-made "mass produced" guitar in that price range($800-$900) is the American Strat, and don't get me started about THEIR quality control(yeesh)...
    I've played the EBMM EVH/Axis, and it ain't a $1500 guitar, folks! A GREAT guitar, yeah, but it shouldn't be topping a grand.
    I love the Wolfgang Series, and and I have NEVER run into a "problem" Wolfgang or Special in my search. After checking out quite a few over the last 2 years, MY decision was:"they're all great, I'll just pick a good color..." [img]smile.gif[/img]
    This Korean job, I dunno...I don't even think I could be unbiased about it, given the idea behing the Wolfgang was to put Eddie's guitar inn reach of the average joe(which the Special did).
    I guess I'm just against the "import/international" Wolf in principle. I'm sure it's "okay", but $799 IS over the top for a Korean guitar PERIOD.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't believe the US made special is terrible either. It appeals to a wide variety of players, as well as a no. of posters here play them and swear by them.
    I'm not a huge fan of the wolf, but I can appreciate the fact that it's a working guitar that's quite rugged and that's what it's all about.
    I think it would have been a better sounding guitar if they had used a different type of body wood, but as far as the neck goes, it's hard rock maple as opposed to bird's eye maple.
    Hard rock maple feels a bit different to the touch, but is every bit as hard as bird's eye, and there's nothing wrong with the grade.
    The special, like the standard has graphite in the neck and won't twist or warp any easier.
    The one problem I do find with any of the wolf necks is the fact that they're all sanded differently so there's no real uniform shape. Some are thinner than others, while some are nice and chunky.
    I do think the new Korean models use a cheaper grade of maple though. I'd be very surprised if there's graphite in the neck lke the US models.
    I don't think people think about that kind of stuff enough as long as it's got a nice peice of veneer on the front.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

In \'N\' Out
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

True enough, Tribb! 3 out of my 4 guitars have "reinforced" necks: graphite in the Wolf Special, aluminum in 2 of the Reverends. I look for details like that.
    Good call, too: I find the vibe of the Special to be very "working class". And in Vintage Gold, mine is VERY classy looking!

[ May 10, 2002 at 08:49 PM: Message edited by: ajay315 ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    Good advice. tyry one out first if you can. If you can't then you can get a nice one on ebay.
    You just have to be careful. Ebay has a 3rd party system you can use, whereby you send the funds to a bonded 3rd party that ebay provides. When they receive the money they send you the instruments and send the owner the money. I believe there's a 25. cost for it, but if you're worried that's the way to go.
    I've bought a number of guitars off ebay using the normal methods, and have never had a problem.
    Find someone with a good no. of feedbacks who's sent guitars in the past. I'm sure it'll be fine if you're carefull.
    You can always check your local paper for sales of wolfs as well.
    Good luck.
    That is called Escrow and rarely will any seller use it. My suggestion for buying anything through Ebay is to use a insured Visa card. That way Visa will refund your money if you never recieve the product or if it is damaged in shipping. Paypal offers a $200.00 insurance for anything purchased through them as does Ebay = total of $400.00. Definatly use a credit card that covers you on purchases.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great input, folks. I've decided to go ahead and try the ebay route.Right now, all they've got are wolf specials or way overpriced standards. Waiting to find a purple standard.
    Jim Bailes

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    I have a wonderful Wolfgang Standard amber flametop. I am not a guy that likes to buy 14 different guitars and play them all at one time. Right now I only use 2 guitars...My Wolf and a Strat. Personally, I think the Wolf can be a very versitile guitar because of the fact that it is made so tightly. I have yet to find a guitar that sustains and is so sensitive to harmonics.

I do have one recommendation though...that is to play the particular one that you are looking at before you buy it. That may be difficult, but I have noticed inconsistencies between other Wolfgang Standards and my own. It may just be a mass production problem. Does anyone out there own multiple Wolfgangs have this problem?

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Originally posted by Reckless Fable:
    I have noticed inconsistencies between other Wolfgang Standards and my own. It may just be a mass production problem. Does anyone out there own multiple Wolfgangs have this problem?
    The necks on my two Specials are similar yet different.....just as Tribb alluded to in another post, all the necks aren't the same. I do like how they both feel however, so I'm not complaining. One is smoother than the other, and the shapes are slightly different

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Can someone enlighten me to the differences between the four models of Wolfgang to begin with? I can see there is the flat-top and beveled versions of the body, but what else exactly differenciates them from each other? They all look like you can get the same hardware on any of them so I've always been confused by what I'm looking at. I definitely like the beveled-edge body over the flat.

[ May 21, 2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Fontcow ]