Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys. I seldom visit this part of the forums, but I have a few questions I am hoping you all can answer or send me in the right direction.

Ok, I bought an gelectric guitar back probably in the late 80s with the intentions of learning how to play. I do not believe that I will ever have the patience to learn how to play, but my son is really interested in learning. I have a nice little amplifier for it as well.

Now, for the questions. I have a Signal Flex (SF-60) Guitar tuner. I have no idea how to use it, but I need to learn because, of course, the guitar needs to be in the correct tuneage for my son to learn what it should sound like. Is there a web site that shows how to use one of these tuners? Nifty little tuner, just has never been used.

Secondly, is there a web site that has good illustrations of notes and chords? That way he can get an idea of what is going on. I have some pages of tabs, but he needs to learn music as well.

We plan to get him a set of keyboards for his birthday in March, but that is a different story. Any suggestions on Keyboards brands, number of keys, lighted/non lighted keys...

Thank you guys for any information! I am trying to get both of my boys exposed to music learning while they are young so it will be easier. I guess I am just too hard headed to learn anymore.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're serious the best thing you can do for him/them is to get a few lessons from a music instructor, either through a music store or through the yellow pages.
    An instructor will explain tuning and notes, as well as chord structure.
    If you don't have the patience needed to learn to play then expose your kids to someone who'll start them off on the right track and let them decide from there.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jeez, I haven't looked at my guitar tuner in years. Does your tuner have a needle readout or is it a digital thing? If it's a needle then as you flip from string to string you want that baby centered.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just do some search machines like google.com... there are a lot of online guitar tuners, you hear the notes and have to tune it to the note thats all

BTW: today i think a teacher is not so necessary, there are also a LOT of online ressources to learn from (i´ll post some links later)...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I didn't benefit from lessons when I was a kid, but I would have to agree with Tribb that if you can find an instructor, have your son visit with him a few times to at least learn about tuning (15 minutes is all you need!), then learn a few chords. In general, I play three chrod formations and two scales. I know alot more, but I rarely use it. The scales and chord formations are all you really need to play anytyhing from VH to Iron Maiden to Drowning Pool. Maybe I can hook your boy up with some MP3s of tuning and chord formations. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the information guys! I live in a smaller community so it might be difficult to find an instructor for guitar. I have located one for piano though. Really older lady. He will love that . Yes the tuner is an analog with the needle. I will play with it this week to see if i can figure it out. i hooked it up the other night and none of the strings were even on the scale. must be bad.
    Thanks again and all links would be appreciated!
    Buddy
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who