Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Wolfman's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.00
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    8,119
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

    05.27.16 @ 08:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    I was going to post this in Sammy Who's thread, but Glenn is just too damn fast for my slow-ass typing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Just an explanation for those of you who think we are biased here regarding the closing of threads. No offense to Glenn, but I spent some time composing this and think peeps could benefit from it. if it needs to be closed afterwards, fine - but here goes :

    SW, here's the way I look at it - you have two different ways that bashing can occur - one is within the course of a thread that has other content, and the other is when a thread is actually started with a remark intended to incite argument. An example of the latter is where namknod had threads closed here in Main yesterday - not only was the sole intention of the his threads to slam Sam, period - he dissed the site as well. Why the hell should we keep threads like that open? There's nothing good that's going to come out of inflammatory remarks like that, especially when the poster claims they aren't even a VH fan or a supporter of either singer (or whatever the "debate" may be about). People like that just enjoy stirring shit up to get a rise out of people and should never wonder twice why their threads are being closed. You want to live that way (not you personally), fine - go pick a bar fight or get it out of your system as a kid on a playground somewhere. It's just childish behavior that has no place on a board where people are discussing common interests as adults.
    On the other hand, when disagreements arise within a thread that has other content, the thread is given benefit to remain open so that it may be steered back on course instead of becoming a bashfest once people have had their say. The problem there is that more often than not, once tempers flare, you end up with a fight between two people (or sometimes 3 or 4) that draws attention away from the thread and alienates the rest of the people involved in the matter of discussion, and those few people think somehow they are going to get the last word in. At that point, a perfectly good thread which everyone could enjoy and take part in is ruined, and has to be closed, usually to the disappointment of those who had something decent to say.

    My own observation is that the die-hard Roth fans are the ones that start the threads I mentioned in the first example - they can't stand to see Sam get any kind of props thrown his way at all, which is just ludicrous if you ask me. You'll see very few Sam fans start a "Dave sucks" thread. I have always seen this site as "Pro-Roth" much more so than "Pro-Sammy", which is why I can't understand why some idiots continue to call us Sammy-lovers, etc. There's no basis for those suggestions.
    If a fan of "singer A" can't stand to ever see a positive comment about "singer B" then they have a real problem with the whole idea of equality and fair play. That's what sites like the DLR Army and Hagar fan sites are for - if somebody wants to discuss them only, that's where they should go. it's not that we don't want those people here, it's just that the scope of what we consider Van Halen here is never going to satisfy narrow/particular points of interest and that will never change.
    Hope that all makes sense. I can assure there is no conspiracy among the mods to favor one singer over the other - there are just too many factors to cinsider when closing or moving a thread, and unfortunately, it's never going to come down to an equal distribution between Dave and Sam. Some days it will look like the mo is in favor of Dave, and others it will look like Sam is getting the upper hand. Just think of the board as a microcosm of life itself - things don't always go in peoples' favor all the time.

  2. #2
    Good Enough Cabo Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Age
    47
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    2,679
    Favorite VH Album

    VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

    On Fire
    Last Online

    08.27.15 @ 01:07 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Nicely done, wolf! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

  3. #3
    Eye suffacozza YEWW! Goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.01.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    12,860
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    09.25.16 @ 03:47 AM
    Likes
    26
    Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts


    Premium Member
    This place has always been fairly pro-roth in the past. Something changed about 6 - 8 months ago. See dlr.com for evidence.

    The change of moods all related to Daves pretty obvious slide into mediocrity & irrelevence. If the guy pulls his finger out and delivers a kick ass album, then I'm sure the Daveometer will swing back into the positive pretty quickly
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    05.09.16 @ 11:08 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    quick fix:
    just start a 'good thread up in flames' forum. Send all the crap there. Then, the other forums will be left to those with meaningful things to say. Flamers will then have a 'favorite forum', a 'bitch session', if you will.

  5. #5
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    65,090
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    09.25.16 @ 06:55 PM
    Likes
    665
    Liked 7,722 Times in 3,245 Posts

    Yeah but then you end up with a Dump forum like the Army has, and I don't see the point of that.

    There is no question there are more DLR era fans here than Sam era...IMO. Even this "Sammy loving ass kissing faggot webmaster" is far more partial to the Dave era of Van Halen.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.22.00
    Age
    48
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,864
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.25.16 @ 07:04 PM
    Likes
    491
    Liked 95 Times in 61 Posts

    Originally posted by Wolfman:
    I was going to post this in Sammy Who's thread, but Glenn is just too damn fast for my slow-ass typing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Just an explanation for those of you who think we are biased here regarding the closing of threads. No offense to Glenn, but I spent some time composing this and think peeps could benefit from it. if it needs to be closed afterwards, fine - but here goes :

    SW, here's the way I look at it - you have two different ways that bashing can occur - one is within the course of a thread that has other content, and the other is when a thread is actually started with a remark intended to incite argument. An example of the latter is where namknod had threads closed here in Main yesterday - not only was the sole intention of the his threads to slam Sam, period - he dissed the site as well. Why the hell should we keep threads like that open? There's nothing good that's going to come out of inflammatory remarks like that, especially when the poster claims they aren't even a VH fan or a supporter of either singer (or whatever the "debate" may be about). People like that just enjoy stirring shit up to get a rise out of people and should never wonder twice why their threads are being closed. You want to live that way (not you personally), fine - go pick a bar fight or get it out of your system as a kid on a playground somewhere. It's just childish behavior that has no place on a board where people are discussing common interests as adults.
    On the other hand, when disagreements arise within a thread that has other content, the thread is given benefit to remain open so that it may be steered back on course instead of becoming a bashfest once people have had their say. The problem there is that more often than not, once tempers flare, you end up with a fight between two people (or sometimes 3 or 4) that draws attention away from the thread and alienates the rest of the people involved in the matter of discussion, and those few people think somehow they are going to get the last word in. At that point, a perfectly good thread which everyone could enjoy and take part in is ruined, and has to be closed, usually to the disappointment of those who had something decent to say.

    My own observation is that the die-hard Roth fans are the ones that start the threads I mentioned in the first example - they can't stand to see Sam get any kind of props thrown his way at all, which is just ludicrous if you ask me. You'll see very few Sam fans start a "Dave sucks" thread. I have always seen this site as "Pro-Roth" much more so than "Pro-Sammy", which is why I can't understand why some idiots continue to call us Sammy-lovers, etc. There's no basis for those suggestions.
    If a fan of "singer A" can't stand to ever see a positive comment about "singer B" then they have a real problem with the whole idea of equality and fair play. That's what sites like the DLR Army and Hagar fan sites are for - if somebody wants to discuss them only, that's where they should go. it's not that we don't want those people here, it's just that the scope of what we consider Van Halen here is never going to satisfy narrow/particular points of interest and that will never change.
    Hope that all makes sense. I can assure there is no conspiracy among the mods to favor one singer over the other - there are just too many factors to cinsider when closing or moving a thread, and unfortunately, it's never going to come down to an equal distribution between Dave and Sam. Some days it will look like the mo is in favor of Dave, and others it will look like Sam is getting the upper hand. Just think of the board as a microcosm of life itself - things don't always go in peoples' favor all the time.
    Very well said Kentucky man. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Posts
    26
    Last Online

    09.17.05 @ 09:29 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I believe some of the David Lee backlash here could be attributed to perceptions some of him letting himself go.

    The pro-Sammy sentiment here could be attributed by Michael Anthony's apparent siding with him and the potential Planet US project.

    darthy's advice:
    David Lee: Please use Rogaine, Hair Transplants, and maybe face lift. (Seriously.)

    Sammy: Please grow your hair longer and lose 20lbs (not that hard.) PS: Stop dressing like Richard Simmons. (Seriously.)

    Van Halen Sisters: Get help.

  8. #8
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.20.00
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,884
    Favorite VH Album

    BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

    AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

    03.20.07 @ 11:01 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by darthpsychotic:
    I believe some of the David Lee backlash here could be attributed to perceptions some of him letting himself go.

    The pro-Sammy sentiment here could be attributed by Michael Anthony's apparent siding with him and the potential Planet US project.
    I don't think so. Why would MA's involvement with Sammy influence people here. All the pro-Sammy people here have most likely been a supporter for a long time.

    Originally posted by darthpsychotic:

    darthy's advice:
    David Lee: Please use Rogaine, Hair Transplants, and maybe face lift. (Seriously.)
    This has been needed for some time now

    Originally posted by darthpsychotic:

    Sammy: Please grow your hair longer and lose 20lbs (not that hard.) PS: Stop dressing like Richard Simmons. (Seriously.)
    Losing 20 lbs is not easy! And, he dresses like Jimmy Buffet, NOT Richard Simmons.

    Originally posted by darthpsychotic:

    Van Halen Sisters: Get help.
    LOL [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. That's it KEEP closing my posts!!
    By Kenny666 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10.21.05, 12:28 PM
  2. whos closing in Charlotte???
    By FAIRWRNING in forum "Song For Song" Tour 2002
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08.06.02, 09:33 AM
  3. opening/ closing for the 2nd leg
    By ecubuc in forum "Song For Song" Tour 2002
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07.22.02, 11:37 AM
  4. Who's closing at the Gorge?
    By simmons3d in forum "Song For Song" Tour 2002
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06.14.02, 01:12 PM
  5. LIke to Bash the sheep? Bash this--
    By Fat Lady in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03.21.02, 04:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •