Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,
    I thought I would share this with you.
    After many, many years my old JCM 800 and cabinets were starting to look really bad, as in the grill cloth's were faded to a nasty light brown. And not really wanting to have them torn apart to install new cloths I had to get a bit creative. So as I was at the grocery store I saw what might be an answer. A bottle of Kiwi Shoe polish, the liqued kind with the sponge dispenser on the top. O.K. I know what you all thinking and so was I at the time, but hey I figured I'd give it a shot. So I got home and started to carefully remove the emblems. Well I have to say that stuff is fantastic !! as I was lightly dabbing on the polish it all started to come together. I pressed the emblems back on and that thing looks like it's new again, in fact when my wife saw it so flipped, cause she thought it was a new amp. LOL, I played that joke out for a short time and clued her in.
    Dave
    www.spacetape.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That nasty light brown grill cloth you describe is the type of cloth that marshall collectors look for when they're buying older cabinets.
    It's called natural aging, and it actually makes an older cab more valuable.
    The basket weave cloth, onced it's aged and turned brown or yellow is quite sought after.
    It's like taking an old gibson or fender, and refinishing it cause it looks too beat up. After it's refinished, the value of the instrument is about 1/6 or less, of the value that it was before refinishing.
    I've seen 25,000. strats being sold for 3-6000, just because they got a new coat of paint or a new clear coat.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

that's a cool idea, but doesn't the polish smear onto everything it touches, or does it just dry down?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL ya know Tribb, I thought about that after the fact. Ehh it's ok because I really never plan on selling it.
    As far as the polish getting all over everything, like the white piping... it comes right off as long as your quick. O.k. so in summary... good idea wrong amp to experiment with ?
    Dave

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whether what you did is a good idea or not, what I did to one of my cabinets was worse. I actually ripped the grill cloth off because I thought the cabinet would look good with the four speakers being visible. I was on my skateboard one night trying to do a trick on my slick bedrooom floor, fell on my ass and shot the skateboard right through one of the speakers ripping the cone. Now THAT was stupid.

[ January 16, 2002 at 12:25 PM: Message edited by: AxeSlinger84 ]</p>