Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But It will take me a while to save up around $1500. I like Wolfgangs but I like the Axis too. and the Axis is a little cheaper. Can you guys recomend this or try to talk me out of it or somthing. Give me your opinion. But Wolfs really arent all that much more. I am only gonna be able to afford it one. I might also get a special flame top Wolf with a dark cherry sunburst. It is really the Axis or the Flametop Wolf special I am torn between but I leaning toward the Axis cause I like it a little better(I am just rableing now so I'll stop)

[ December 27, 2001 at 06:33 PM: Message edited by: NxtVanHalen. ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up my Wolfie for $1279.03.....that's actually cheaper than the Axis.

I think there are a lot of great guitars that are as good as the Wolfgang, but are hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I am sure Tribb or Homeunit could name at least a couple of axes that are as good as the Peavey and can save you a lot of cash.

If money really isn't an object, I would snag a used EBMM...(not sure how much) or save some cash and get the Wolfgang Special. Just my opinion.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well NxtVanHalen, you want to hear some rambling? Here we go.
    If you're hell bent on either one of them, get a used one, not a new one.
    For 1500. you can get a guitar a hell of a lot better than either one of those.
    I realize these are the VH links, but don't get caught up in the I've gotta have it cause Ed's name's on it syndrome. For that matter, He's not even associated with the axis at all.
    The neck shape, body shape, internal body route, and pickups are not at all like the original EBMM EVH he designed, but of course other than that it's the same guitar.
    Both of those guitars are built to do one thing, and the axis doesn't even do it very well. The pickups are muddy sounding, and pretty flat through any amp but one with enough gain to split your skull.
    At least the wolf has a more rounded pickup, tone wise, and you can turn the tone knob down to smooth it out if you're smart enough to try something besides a 5150. A new wolf's not worth 1500 either, but at least it has some variation to it. I've even seen guys play jazz on those through Fender amps, and they didn't sound bad. Still not worth 1500 though.
    You're talking about paying 1500 for a guitar like the axis, with substandard 60.00 pickups, a 70.00 Gotoh bridge, about 4.00 worth of basswood in the body, and about 12.00 worth of maple on top.
    Of course it "looks" like the original one Ed designed so lets piss all our money down the toilet, cause we sure can't sound like Ed unless we have a guitar that looks like his.
    Go tell that to Brian Young of the Atomic Punks. He sounds more like Ed than anyone I've heard, and his guitar is nothing like Ed's, except it has some stripes on it.
    Warmoth will sell you an identical neck which is at least as good, and probably better for about 125.

Like I said, if you're determined to toss your money out the window, then at least get a used one. You can get an early 1st year better quality wolf standard for less than that, and have you seen what axis guitars are going for on ebay? you can barely give them away. It's not an EBMM EVH. Keep that in mind.
    I realize I'm pissin on your cornflakes, but you probably haven't had many guitars and I don't want you waking up 6 months down the road when you realize you made a mistake.
    The last thing I want to see is another musician getting ripped off.
    After paying 1200-1500 for some shiny peice of crap you'll realize that no one wants to buy it, and a store might give you 400-500 on a trade towards a real guitar if you catch the salesman in a good mood.
    If you're a little dilligent and look around, for under 1500 bud, you can get a used PRS, Les Paul or other Gibson, Heritage, USA vintage reissue strat, or other quality guitar that'll keep it's value, and is made out of parts that someone really gave a shit about when they were building it.
    Do you really want to pay 1500. for 15.00 worth of maple with a "dark cherry" stain on it.
    If you're determined to get a guitar with a "whammy bar" so you can dive bomb just like Ed, contact Warmoth, or some other reputable builder, and have them build you one for half the cost, with some quality to it.
    I've said it before, and I guess I'll have to say it again. Basswood is the cheapest, worst sounding body wood on the planet. It has all the tone of a brick. Ed uses it because it's cheap, and there's plenty of it, but tone, come on.
    Warm tone, my ass.
    Even Steve Vai's Jem guitars are all basswood, "except" the ones that Steve actually uses onstage, which are alder. Now I wonder why that is?
    Why do you think they put such high output pickups in basswood bodies? You think that's just for you ROCKERS? It's because basswood has no tone whatsoever, and it takes a high output p/u to sound half ass decent in a wood that doesn't resonate.
    You can put lower output pickups like an old paf, or old single coil, in almost any alder, or ash, or mahogany, or even poplar body, but put it into basswood and see what it sounds like. Pure shit.
    If, on the other hand you're determined to spend 1500. then see if you can get a real original EBMM EVH. At least there's some history to that guitar and you'll get your money back if you decide to sell it.
    And if you think I'm being too hard, I'm not.
    I'm just sick of seeing big manufacturers who crank them out like popsicle sticks, and high priced music stores fuck over young musicians with money in their pocket.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What tribb said!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tribb is 100% right! Dont buy the bullshit, the Axsis SUCK! You could buy an Ibenez for $400.00 that will sound & play better! Get out to the stores & play a BUNCH of different guitars, THEN make an educated choice. You may actually find that you LOVE a guitar that you never even THOUGHT about till you tried it!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I'm not going to say that the Axis sucks, but I strongly recommend that you buy either the Axis or the Wolfgang used. The value of both guitars drop about $600 as soon as you leave the store. Not that you should buy a guitar with the intention of reselling it later, but damn. These guitars are way over priced. If you do some looking around you can almost buy an EVH EBMM for
    $1500. Hell for $1500 you could buy one used Wolfgang Standard AND a Special. With the economy the way it is now, I couldn't imagine someone paying retail price for a guitar. Hell, Peavey would like for you to pay $2100 for a Standard now. That's INSANE for what the guitar offers. My advice is to go to eBay and buy from someone with a killer feedback rating and save some money. (it might be worth something someday [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a friend who built a guitar out of Warmoth parts and that thing f'ing awesome! And it only cost him about $400 - $500!
    If you want a EVH/Axis style guitar custom built for you (by you), check them out.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by P1:
    I have a friend who built a guitar out of Warmoth parts and that thing f'ing awesome! And it only cost him about $400 - $500!
    If you want a EVH/Axis style guitar custom built for you (by you), check them out.
    <hr></blockquote>

the ENTIRE guitar cost that? or JUST the body?
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, it's not just the body Smudge. They'll do the body and neck for that, and give you a choice of much better woods, like swamp ash, or alder, or even mahogany for the body. Their tops are figured really nicely, as are their necks, and you can email them or talk to them over the phone to get speacial orders done. You can get necks finished or unfinished in any size and radius you like.
    www.warmoth.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now i'm really thinking about trying this! The ONLY thing is, I would have NO IDEA how to hook up the electronics, or do the set up, intonation, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove
    Last Online

05.17.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I say only one thing OLP. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the $200.00 knockoff? NO! I'll take my chances with building my own! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove
    Last Online

05.17.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OLP [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

The only way I would buy an OLP, is if I were rich and I wanted to break something on stage. Plstr, er... I mean Smudge, I'm thinking about a Warmoth guitar too. I seems pretty cool.

Can you get the thing assembled at Warmoth too?
    Your favorite band sucks.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by xaminer:

Can you get the thing assembled at Warmoth too?
    <hr></blockquote>

CHEATER!! [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]