Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

If you can, try and locate an old 800 or JMP. That'll give you the Marshall tone, but for metal you'll need something in front of it. I use a Sparkle Drive with my jmp and it's perfect.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Duff, what's your budget range?

ratter.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Duff I am also kind of in your situation as I am in the market for either a 50 or 100 watt head. So this is a pretty timely thread as far as I'm concerned. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My main concern is for it to have the big warm organic classic marshall roar. Also I would rather err on the side of too much gain as opposed to not enough. Besides that, stuff like a clean channel, versatility and abundance of features like reverb and all that is secondary.

I have been doing a little research and am kind of intrigued by what I've heard about the jcm 900 sl-x. Based on what I've read it has the capability to give you a nice part of the spectrum of sounds from classic marshall crunch to modern hi-gain sounds, basically because of its extra gain stage. What are you guy's thoughts on this particular amp?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Baconhead...I'd ask you the same question: what's your price range?

I'm not a fan of the JCM900s. I had a 50-watter back when they first came out. It sounded pretty good so long as you could crank the master volume and keep the pre-gain down pretty low. Those amps utilize some diode clipping in the preamp (i.e. it's not all tube gain going on) that lends some fizziness/buzziness to the sound.

The DSL50 is a pretty good sounding amp. I'd definitely choose one of those over a 900. It's got added features (or unnecessary features, depending on your point of view) like reverb and different channels/modes. I prefer the DSL50 to the DSL100...it just sounds better to me. I've read a lot about reliability issues with these amps related to the soldering, though.

5150 are really cool amps and are the key to getting the modern EVH sound, but they simply can't do an old Marshall sound, no matter what, IMO. It's a waste of time even trying...

The Peavey Triple XXX might be worth a try if you're trying to keep the budget down. It was supposedly intended to be a George Lynch signature amp, and can reportedly get more marshally than the 5150. I haven't personally tried one. Another company that has a good rep in this price range (under $1k) is Laney. Paul Gilbert is a big Laney user.

Up in the rarified (like $1750+) air, there are lots of companies making either straight plexi clones or hot-rodded Marshall type amps. Roccaforte, Blockhead, Mojave, and Cage are the first ones that come to mind. Roccaforte and Mojave, in particular, both sell amps geared towards an early VH sound. These are all hand-made, hand-wired, Ferraris of the amp world.

My personal choice is a Budda Superdrive 80. It's not as pricey as the ones listed above...it sits in that no-man's land between the marshalls and mesas and the real high-priced designer stuff. The ad copy and the reviews basically call it a Plexi with more gain, and that's what it sounds like. Great old Marshall sound with more gain on tap. At about halfway on the gain dial, it's total Fair Warning.

Hope this helps a bit,
    ratter.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ratter - My budget is $500 give or take a hundred bucks. Whatever I end up getting will be used and more than likely off of ebay.

As far as the sl-x goes, supposedly this particular model is the only one out of the 900 series that didn't use diode clipping. It's an all-tube signal path. Its sister amp, the jcm 900 dual reverb did use diode clipping but the sl-x didn't. Do you remember what model 900 you had?

But anyways based on what I have read it sounds like this particular amp is a one trick pony but it does its one thing well. I have narrowed it down to either a jmp, jcm 800, or sl-x.

Also ratter, would you suggest getting a 50 watt or a 100 watt head? I've heard that the difference in loudness is neglible and it seems that a 50 watt would be easier to push and hence get more power tube distortion.

BTW Duff, if you are looking for a good place to read people's opinions on amps the reader reviews at www.harmony-central.com is a good place to go. Check it out.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BaconHead:
    ratter - My budget is $500 give or take a hundred bucks. Whatever I end up getting will be used and more than likely off of ebay.

As far as the sl-x goes, supposedly this particular model is the only one out of the 900 series that didn't use diode clipping. It's an all-tube signal path. Its sister amp, the jcm 900 dual reverb did use diode clipping but the sl-x didn't. Do you remember what model 900 you had?

But anyways based on what I have read it sounds like this particular amp is a one trick pony but it does its one thing well. I have narrowed it down to either a jmp, jcm 800, or sl-x.

Also ratter, would you suggest getting a 50 watt or a 100 watt head? I've heard that the difference in loudness is neglible and it seems that a 50 watt would be easier to push and hence get more power tube distortion.

BTW Duff, if you are looking for a good place to read people's opinions on amps the reader reviews at www.harmony-central.com is a good place to go. Check it out.
    Hey Baconhead,

Thanks for the info on the SL-X. I was not aware of that. The model I had was indeed a dual reverb. Like I said, it sounded pretty good, but definitely not great. And it sounded significantly better when cranked than when not. Also, other 900s that I tried at the time...some sounded completely different, so it seems that consistency was an issue.

If you want to err on the side of too much gain, like you said, then a 900 would definitely be the choice over the 800 or a 70s JMP. Although with the latter two, you could mod them to have more gain and (potentially) end up with something that's better sounding than any of the 3 original choices.

My preference would be 50 watts. I don't really understand people who think they "need 100 watts" (sorry Duff!) unless they need tons of clean headroom, which is obviously not the case when your goal is a "brown sound". 50 watts through a 4x12 is still obscenely loud when cranked. And hey, it's cheaper to retube too.

ratter.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know thats stupid and you should all tell me to go and play every amp I look at but I don't have many music stores near my small town. The nearest peavey dealer does not even carry 5150s.
    I need a 100 watt head!
    I like Ed's marshall sound better than the 5150 sound. Any record not just VH1. I also play Satch, SRV, blues and metal!

I am looking at the JCM 2000 DSL 100 watt anyone played one of those. Or recommend an amp to check out when I finally get around to a big music store! THANKS!
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can tell you from expierience, the Peavey XXX kicks ASS!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wasn't Eddie's old Marshall a Super Plexi or Plexi Super Lead or some such? Is this one (this one) the same thing (or similar) or is it a completely different animal?

[ June 25, 2002, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: P1 ]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out this link it explains what Ed was doing in those early years.

http://www.amptone.com/eddievanhalenrig.htm
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well my price range I was thinking is around $500 or so + or - a few hundred but amps out of range I wish I could get are Soldano or maybe a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec. I am thinking the 5150 cause price but am not sure if you could get an early VH tone, I have heard mixed opinions about that!
    I am looking at Har-central reviews there great.
    Can you get a For Unlawful sound out of a 5150??
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can get a For Unlawful sound out of the 5150, but you can't get the old sound with a 5150.

I have to agree with ratter about the Budda amps. I picked up a Budda Super Drive 30 about a month ago and this thing definitely lives up to its reputation of a plexi plus a little extra if you need it. Plus turn the volume of this Budda SuperDrive30 past 5 and then tell me you need a 100 watt amp! If you can stand to wait(i know its tough) you'd have a much broader selection of amps if you saved up to around $1000 and would probably be much more happy with the sound. But if $500 is all you want to spend I'd get a JCM800 2204, or a JMP 2204 if your lucky enough to find one for $500.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.08.06 @ 11:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

get a jcm 800 and have voodoo amps modify it. they do great work on tube amps and modding them to a certain sound you are looking for [img]smile.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner\'s Swing-Top Jimmy
    Last Online

10.19.07 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna have to disagrfee with you on the 5150 amp. I had an old plexi and shipped it straight to Mike Soldano. I spoke to him on the phone and told him to Van Halenize it. He did. He also sent me a variac to use in conjunction with the mod he did to the amp. It was great and it roared. But at times, and you never knew when, it would shock the living crap out of ya. Well, not much longer after I went through all of this trouble and expense, Eddie came out with his own amp. Naturally I bought one. To be honest I was disappointed with it at first. I expected it to sound like Eddie right out of the box without having to make any adjustments of my own. So after a while, I finallt figured out that I needed to set the eq on the amp just so, as well as the presence and the resonance. Next thing you know, I'm cooking up the best tone that I have ever had or heard for that matter. The 5150 amp is not for you if you are looking for a clean sound though. But as far as high gain bliss, you can't beat it. I have played all kinds of Marshalls, Boogies, Laneys, Fenders, you name it. I still love me 5150 dude. Combined with my wolfgang, 4x 12 cab (5150), and a touch of chorus, and a little echo, and it's 1984 or Fair Warning (minus the chorus) all over again. Thanks to Ed for a great amp!
    "Be yourself, even if you have to fake it"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have to realize that the VH tone is a combination of factors. Unless you have the right combination, no one piece will get you that sound.
    It's going to take time, money, and people telling you its all in the fingers *cough bullshit*. I'll tell you the main ingredients - EB/PV EVH guitar, old marshall, echoplex, and low wattage speakers. You have to take it from there on your budget and experimentation.

How are you running your effects Top Jimmy 1? The loop on the 5150 is *not* good for for effects. The only thing that works good there is a noise reduction unit (for the most part). What Ed doesnt tell you in his nifty ad campaign is that he uses his amp as a distortion pedal into a Palmer, to run his effects, power amp, and cabs. Its nice and glassy the way he runs it, but it isn't warm and brown like it used to be.