On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anybody try the peavey wolfgang custom shop or know anyone that has? Any feedback at all?
    I love the options and think you can build a heck of a guitar. But the price is ridiculus. For what I want would run me around $2400!

BTW, I found one listed on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=906052691
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.23.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, I actually just got my custom Special in last weekend. I had to set it up a little bit but it's playing great.

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

So Whiteboy is that you selling the quilt on ebay?

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wish. Those are just the shots Peavey gives you when your guitar comes in. I have a shot of that chunky dude playing my guitar too but didn't want to post him.

Mine's just a recreation of my Washburn N4. Alder body/clearcoat with an ebony fret-board and matching headstock. I am replacing the neck humbucker with a Duncan '59 too.
    "I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I have a question - maybe a stupid question, but I'm no guitar expert, so bear with me. Maybe rcrimm can answer this one - all opinions welcome of course.
    Why would somebody pay $2000 or more for a Peavey Custom Shop Wolfgang, when you could put together a custom EBMM-EVH copy with Warmoth parts (body, neck, hardware, etc.) for $1000 or less? Would the quality of the Peavey really be twice as good as the Warmoth? I'm not ragging on Peavey - I've never played a Custom Peavey or a Warmoth, so I'm just curious.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    OK, I have a question - maybe a stupid question, but I'm no guitar expert, so bear with me. Maybe rcrimm can answer this one - all opinions welcome of course.
    Why would somebody pay $2000 or more for a Peavey Custom Shop Wolfgang, when you could put together a custom EBMM-EVH copy with Warmoth parts (body, neck, hardware, etc.) for $1000 or less? Would the quality of the Peavey really be twice as good as the Warmoth? I'm not ragging on Peavey - I've never played a Custom Peavey or a Warmoth, so I'm just curious.
    It boils down to this: You are paying Ed, so he can pay his lawyers, so they can shut down sites that allow you to build better guitars for a cheaper price.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD WITH THAT ONE!!!!
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by P1:

Would the quality of the Peavey really be twice as good as the Warmoth?

Hmm hmm hmm hmm.....

heh heh heh heh heh heh

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

BWA HA HA HA HA.....BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Eddie Van Solo: ".....yeah, but who's gonna put it together kid.....you?!?!?....."

Rol Skywalker: ".....you *bet* I will....I'm not such a bad luthier myself....Ben, we don't have to listen to this....let's get outta here...."

(The arrogant Eddie Van Solo talking to Rol Skywalker in the Mos Eisley Cantina) - Star Wars: A New Luthier

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I was bored so designed 2 very similar guitars: A Wolfgang Custom Deluxe and a Warmoth VW arch top. Here goes:

Wolfgang Custom Deluxe
    Alder Body with Quilted Maple Top
    Birdseye Maple Neck/Fretboard
    Trans Tobacco Sunburst Finish
    Matching Headstock
    Cream Binding
    Floyd Rose
    $2769.99

Warmoth VW Arch Top
    Alder Body with Quilted Maple Top $350
    Birdseye Maple Neck/Fretboard $193
    Trans Tobacco Sunburst Finish $195
    Matching Headstock $80
    Cream Binding $90
    Floyd Rose $165
    Schaller Mini Locking Tuners $48
    2 SD Humbuckers $200
    Neck Plate $4.50
    Side Jack Plate $5
    Cream Volume Knob $1.50
    500k Pot $3
    Side Jack $3
    Cream Toggle Switch $10.50
    Various Screws $5
    $1353.50

I probably forgot some stuff, I didn't add in shipping and you would have to put it together, but DAMN! The Warmoth is almost exactly half the price of the Peavey. So again, the question is, what would the quality difference be?

Told you I was bored
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

P1, that's also the list price from Peavey. When I got mine I saved over $500 from the list price through my dealer.

- Hunter S. Thompson

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No I don't think that's a stupid question, but it's one that I can't exactly answer.

Labor costs money. You can save a lot on any guitar if you can get a kit, and put it together yourself. The price of any guitar is based on what it cost the manufacturer to build, plus the markups. Peavey's markup is not out of line with any other "major" manufacturer, as far as I know. It is probably less than many of them.

You could also ask, why buy a Les Paul or a Fender Strat, when you can get a copy for way less? Is Fender or Gibson's quality that much better, or are you paying extra for the name?

So maybe that too, is part of it. Ed Van Halen's name is only on one current production guitar, and that is the Wolfgang.
    If you want THAT guitar, and a custom version to boot, I guess you will pay the asking price. If you are content to play a copy or a kit, you can probably get about the same features and quality for less money.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the prices on the Custom Shop website are SUGGESTED retail. The dealer you are buying from may, or may not give a discount off that price. That would depend on the dealer and your relationship with him.

And yes, Ed gets a well-deserved piece of anything sold with his name on it. I don't know how much of that he gives to his lawyers. Yes his cut adds some to the price, but not as much as most people probably think.
    Roger C

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    No I don't think that's a stupid question, but it's one that I can't exactly answer.

Labor costs money. You can save a lot on any guitar if you can get a kit, and put it together yourself. The price of any guitar is based on what it cost the manufacturer to build, plus the markups. Peavey's markup is not out of line with any other "major" manufacturer, as far as I know. It is probably less than many of them.

You could also ask, why buy a Les Paul or a Fender Strat, when you can get a copy for way less? Is Fender or Gibson's quality that much better, or are you paying extra for the name?

So maybe that too, is part of it. Ed Van Halen's name is only on one current production guitar, and that is the Wolfgang.
    If you want THAT guitar, and a custom version to boot, I guess you will pay the asking price. If you are content to play a copy or a kit, you can probably get about the same features and quality for less money.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the prices on the Custom Shop website are SUGGESTED retail. The dealer you are buying from may, or may not give a discount off that price. That would depend on the dealer and your relationship with him.

And yes, Ed gets a well-deserved piece of anything sold with his name on it. I don't know how much of that he gives to his lawyers. Yes his cut adds some to the price, but not as much as most people probably think.
    and something else to mention...
    with factory built you get warranty if problems arise...
    and peavey does a good job taking care of their customers...
    i speak from experience... my repairs didn't cost a dime, only downtime...

but, then again, if you can build it, i'm sure you can also fix it...

...Dave