Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    12.13.02
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I'm new to this board so please don't flame me if this question has been asked before. I checked back as far as 45 days and didn't see anything.

    Does anyone know anything about the guitars that are sold at www.meanstreetguitars.com. Specifically the "series 1" guitars. Seems like it could be a low cost alternative to get a "replica" guitar going.

    Thanks!

    Here's a link to the guitar page:
    http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/series_1_specs.htm

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.27.01
    Location
    NEW YAWK CITAY
    Posts
    763
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up
    Last Online

    01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    They "LOOK" ok... Rol???
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

  3. #3
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    11.12.02
    Age
    30
    Location
    House of Pain
    Posts
    201
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    "They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Definately. Sweet price, but again what does Rol think of these?
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

  4. #4
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    Definately. Sweet price, but again what does Rol think of these?
    Well,

    I know this guy, he dealt in "Budget" VH replicas, he really paid no attention to detail
    and really knew nothing about VH guitars other than they were striped.
    I have had 2 MS guitars in my hands, one was a $1000 piece that was unplayable, one of his customers contacted me and asked me if I could help him, when I got the guitar the floyd was at a 45 degree angle off the body and the action was 1\2" off the fretboard at the 12th fret, this is not a joke yes really 1\2" the pickup was more than 1\2" away from the strings, it needed a fret job and the neck reset. The paint job was like sand paper.

    The Second guitar was from someone on this list that does not want to be mentioned , they bought a guitar from him that was a WG striped replica, again when got I got it was really bad, the neck was set crooked and the low E was hanging off the fretboard the pickup was again about 1\2" away from the strings, it also needed a fret job and new non rusty strings.
    Both were fixed and playable afterwards.

    Now the guy claimes to have sold hundreds of guitars, I personally don't believe him but who knows, so if that is true and I just happened to come across the only 2 bad ones then it's not a big deal, other than the fact he let them go out like that in the first place, but again we all make our mistakes I personally havn't had any that bad but with near any of those mistakes .

    I would say by my experiance this would be a true case of you get what you pay for, I doubt any would hold up to much scrutiny by people on this list.
    I havn't had one so I can't say for sure but my opinion is, if he offers a return policy and holds up to it then your ok , if it's total crap send it back. But I would wager that they are crap, and if you want a cheap guitar OLP
    would probably run circles around it.
    Rol.

    if any get one please let me know I would like to be able to send my customers to a place for a cheaper guitar if they are looking for one but as of now I will not send any his way for a guitar he builds, if it's sometthing already done like the Kimberlys fine but nothing he actually puts together.

  5. #5
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    12.13.02
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thanks everyone, especially Rol. It's good to hear from someone's experiences who have actually seen things that have come out of that shop!
    I have to admit I'm very weary about buying a guitar over the internet in the first place, much less from someone who doesn't seem to really get a ton of business per say. I guess to me the site doesn't come off as really professional. You're probably right that if I could return it no questions asked it would be OK, but the longer I play the more discriminating I get, so it's not even worth the trouble. I'll have to go for a 1984 or an old Beretta when I get the $$$'s.

    When I think back to the mid/late 80's I can just picture the SWEET Beretta that our local music store had hanging on the wall. It was even white - ready to go! Oh how I kick myself for not buying it then.

    Thanks a lot!

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.21.00
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,491
    Favorite VH Album

    Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

    03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    If it's the same line I'm thinking about, they were originally made in canada, and now made in korea.
    Ususally plywood bodies, and inferior parts.
    Ok for a student learning, but not without a serious setup that might go out again.
    I'd pass.

  7. #7
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.27.01
    Location
    NEW YAWK CITAY
    Posts
    763
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up
    Last Online

    01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    well, I went to his site & low & behold, my neighbors in the music building here in new york, Shirley Temple Of Doom, are listed on his links... gonna ask the guitarist what he really thinks about his.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

  8. #8
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by tribb:
    If it's the same line I'm thinking about, they were originally made in canada, and now made in korea.
    Ususally plywood bodies, and inferior parts.
    Ok for a student learning, but not without a serious setup that might go out again.
    I'd pass.
    oh these are factory made , I was given the impression the last time I talked to him that he was making them hmmmm.... he wouldn't have mislead me [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Rol.

  9. #9
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    12.13.02
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Well the website says "assembled in the USA"...the only question is by who?! I'm still pretty leary. Still, that's funny that he would imply that he's "building" them. Like a master luthier or something...

    Smudge - I'll be interested to find out what your neighbor has to say.

    Thanks everyone!

  10. #10
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    well, I went to his site & low & behold, my neighbors in the music building here in new york, Shirley Temple Of Doom, are listed on his links... gonna ask the guitarist what he really thinks about his.
    Our own Dave ( Spacetape.com ) was on his links too, Dave what do you have to say about Mitch at Meanstreet ?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.

  11. #11
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    11.25.01
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    85
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Well Rol, if you insist......
    The ONE guitar I got from him which was nothing more than a Kimberly EVH clone with the headstock paint sanded off, needed an extensive set up before it was playable. I lowered the trem (it was set at about a 30 degree angle) and gave the neck a proper dressing and leveling, changed the pickups, changed to a real Floyd and last put Switchcraft parts into it. After that... everything was good
    Oh and by the way.... I think I might know where that spacetape came from that he's selling ... to bad it was my first batch that I later found to be incorrect... That's been corrected and the new 100 % correct stock is what I have now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Dave
    Spacetape.com

  12. #12
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    12.13.02
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Wow. Boy am I glad I checked this forum out! I really appreciate the help. Sounds like he should call that place "house of crap" intead. I should know that "if it's to good to be true..." but I just can't help it when it comes to guitars! I'll have to wait a little longer for my sweet 1984 replica. I've been playing long enough that I guess I deserve the best anyway.

    Garth: "Stop dreaming, you'll never afford it..."
    Wayne: "It will be mine, oh yes..."
    - from Wayne's World when he's looking at the vintage Strat in the window of the guitar shop

  13. #13
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by chief99:
    Wow. Boy am I glad I checked this forum out! I really appreciate the help. Sounds like he should call that place "house of crap" intead. I should know that "if it's to good to be true..."
    dude , it's not the end all by any means but to good to be true is pretty close to $199 for an OLP,
    honestly for a room guitar you can't beat it, and think about this, I build and sell guitars, you know the "salesman" [img]tongue.gif[/img] why would I tell you about a $199 OLP when I build $800-$1100 custom guitars ? That takes away from my business doesn't it ? now again if your going on tour or even play outdoors a few times a week I'd say no but to sit in your room and rock ? it's the one the only thing it lacks is the Floyd and that can be added at your local shop.
    Rol.

    don't let that deter you from the 84' that is a total different ballgame, the price you pay for that is worth the parts alone and that you can go on the road with.

  14. #14
    Sinner's Swing! el_jalepeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.26.02
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    3,266
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

    10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts


    Donor

    Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by chief99:
    Wow. Boy am I glad I checked this forum out! I really appreciate the help. Sounds like he should call that place "house of crap" intead. I should know that "if it's to good to be true..."
    dude , it's not the end all by any means but to good to be true is pretty close to $199 for an OLP,
    honestly for a room guitar you can't beat it, and think about this, I build and sell guitars, you know the "salesman" [img]tongue.gif[/img] why would I tell you about a $199 OLP when I build $800-$1100 custom guitars ? That takes away from my business doesn't it ? now again if your going on tour or even play outdoors a few times a week I'd say no but to sit in your room and rock ? it's the one the only thing it lacks is the Floyd and that can be added at your local shop.
    Rol.

    don't let that deter you from the 84' that is a total different ballgame, the price you pay for that is worth the parts alone and that you can go on the road with.
    </font>[/QUOTE]OK Rol, I agreed not to be a dick, but don't send this guy to his local shop for a Floyd install! You and I both know they would screw him blind! Not trying to turn business away from the locals, but you were quoting pretty damn good prices for a Floyd install a while back. Mars wanted over $200 to install my first Floyd (including the nut)... No, no, no. Let ME be the salesman here. Chief99, send a PM to Rol about setting you set up if you get the OLP. Taking it to your local store is a 50/50 chance on a professional job well done. Here people know and respect Rol's work and his attention to detail. And he won't screw you over in the process [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Just my two cents... Someone owes me a penny [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

  15. #15
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by chief99:
    Wow. Boy am I glad I checked this forum out! I really appreciate the help. Sounds like he should call that place "house of crap" intead. I should know that "if it's to good to be true..."
    dude , it's not the end all by any means but to good to be true is pretty close to $199 for an OLP,
    honestly for a room guitar you can't beat it, and think about this, I build and sell guitars, you know the "salesman" [img]tongue.gif[/img] why would I tell you about a $199 OLP when I build $800-$1100 custom guitars ? That takes away from my business doesn't it ? now again if your going on tour or even play outdoors a few times a week I'd say no but to sit in your room and rock ? it's the one the only thing it lacks is the Floyd and that can be added at your local shop.
    Rol.

    don't let that deter you from the 84' that is a total different ballgame, the price you pay for that is worth the parts alone and that you can go on the road with.
    </font>[/QUOTE]OK Rol, I agreed not to be a dick, but don't send this guy to his local shop for a Floyd install! You and I both know they would screw him blind! Not trying to turn business away from the locals, but you were quoting pretty damn good prices for a Floyd install a while back. Mars wanted over $200 to install my first Floyd (including the nut)... No, no, no. Let ME be the salesman here. Chief99, send a PM to Rol about setting you set up if you get the OLP. Taking it to your local store is a 50/50 chance on a professional job well done. Here people know and respect Rol's work and his attention to detail. And he won't screw you over in the process [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Just my two cents... Someone owes me a penny [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]well, not every shop is gonna rip him blind but you are correct, I am cheaper unless shipping gets in the way, it was a general statement, he knows or should know I'm here, I'm just a little busy and backed up at the moment, and I'm trying to get my new line ready to launch here soon, and that's just my version of the 5150, my own design is having wood trouble, seems people have forgotten how to cut wood for grain to show [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] there's a ton of work left.
    but I'll hook him up if he decides on an OLP
    thanks for the heads up EJ.
    Rol.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mean Street Guitars
    By KA$H in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.01.06, 05:48 PM
  2. mean street guitars
    By pancho in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07.13.06, 07:22 PM
  3. Mean Street guitars?
    By Infinite Cactus in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07.21.05, 07:37 PM
  4. Mean Street Guitars
    By EVH_5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04.03.05, 09:51 AM
  5. Mean Street Guitars
    By cam-5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03.09.05, 03:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •