Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member
    I basically know like three chords and thats it. I am very friggin lazy, but desperately want to learn how to play the guitar. Any one have any ideas or advice on how to go about doing this?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Listen to other players that you admire. Listen to a lot of music and specifically listen to what the guitar player is doing. Most of all, get your hands on your guitar and don't put it down. If you want to develop your technique to a level of VH or other pros, there is no substitute for practice. Whnever you hear a great player at a concert or music store or club, it's the result of them spending good quality time with the instrument. Remember, you'll be there for the crappy times when things don't sound very good, but after awhile your playing will come around and start to sound better. A good teacher might help too. I've been playing since I was 12 (I'm 28 now) and I currently play professionally. . .and I'm still thinking about taking some lesssons soon! You're never too old to learn something new or break out of a rut!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although there aren't as many of them around today, nor are they as challenging, subscribing to guitar magazines (or at least picking them up at the store) is a good way to constantly expose yourself to new stuff. Guitar World has lessons AND song transcriptions, and Guitar Player has some lessons as well. I think Guitar One is a more simplified version of Guitar for the Practicing musician, so these should be a lot of stuff for you there.

Finding a good teacher is always a good bet; just make sure he can/will teach you both what you WANT to learn and what you NEED to learn.

STOP BEING LAZY!!!! Seriously, it takes some work to learn the guitar, and it can be frustrating as hell. You have to set goals for yourself, and a reasonable time frame in which to achieve them. In other words, don't expect to be playing Mean Street after a week! If you learn one new chord shape a week, and one scale, that's 52 chord shapes and 52 scales at the end of only 1 year. It may seem slow, but if your progess is steady,
    you will always be getting better.

Although everyone wants to learn songs, don't spend ALL your time doing it. The more fundamentals you learn, the easier it will make it to learn anything you want. Learning a new tune DOES keep you interested, so I'm not saying to avoid doing them, but not to make it your sole purpose.

Listening to great players (ie Van Halen, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, DiMeola, Atkins, Fisk, Johnson, etc etc) is a two-edged sword. First, it gives you something to shoot for; a great source of inspiration. However, it can also be a great source of frustration, because these guys can play things in their sleep that 95% of all players will never be able to play. So, don't look at it as something you can't do...look at it as something you can't do YET. Big difference. Like George McFly said, "if you really set your mind to it, you can accomplish ANYTHING."

There are MANY excellent books on the market that can help you learn. The Guitar Handbook covers a LOT of ground, the Wolf Marshall series is good for beginners, Mel Bay may be a bit outdated, but his books can expose you to some common musical notations that most guitarists seem to overlook. The Progressive Series breaks things into little lessons for you, which is convenient. Go to a used book store, a Border's or Barnes and Noble, and your local music stores, and pick a few up.

Last but not least...GET A GUITAR BUDDY!! Find a friend who also plays, and spend time practicing together and showing each other stuff. I'm 27 years old, my guitar buddy lives 400 miles away, but over the last 8 or 9 years, we have kicked each other in the ass enough times to turn ourselves into decent players. This is perhaps THE most important thing to have....not only does it make things fun, but you get some free education.

The tough part of this is the following: to really learn to play, and play well, is going to be a BIG investment of time, energy, and even money to some degree. I chose to give up many other things in life to better my playing, including but not limited to, a lot of social interaction in my high school/college years, several hundred meals, thousands of hours of sleep, etc. For me it was out of a love for playing; not everyone is willing to give up so many things, and not everyone has to. But there will be SOME sacrifices you have to make; just be prepared for them. Good Luck!

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

[This message has been edited by AbeVanHalen (edited January 31, 2001 at 11:35 AM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Another thing. . .don't woryy about speed or playing a van halen song right away. Concentrate on making the note you're playing solid. Start small and grow. It's way more impressive to play a slow lick with tons of feeling and confidence than to sloppily rip off a bunch of notes that don't fit with the song!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All great advice!!!!

I'm like you, really lazy!!!!! Don't force it man. I look at guitar playing as just a hobby. I've played a few times at "open mic" nights, but for the most part I really suck!!!!!

After 8 years of playing, I know no scales, can't solo, still struggle with "Wild Thing", but............. I truly enjoy playing. And I think that's what's it's all about. When you put the axe back in the case are you happier than when you started.

If you are getting frustrated that you're not learing anything new, then I think a few lessons will get the momentum going again for you. Try to hook up with a buddy who plays, he can show you a lot of tricks!!!!!!

I don't really know anybody who plays, so it's safe to say the all of my VH Videos haven't only been watched, but I've actually slowed Ed's solo down to see what the hell he's doing!!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Wow guys! You guys are alot of inspiration. As i write this im thinkin about takin the Fender out and plucking around some. Thanks for all the help.

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Try this place out:
    www.wholenote.com

I found this site very helpful in learning "basic" stuff...and the advice offered here is on point. By starting with "simple" things, you'd be amazed at how it slowly compounds over time. I am VERY happy with how my playing has progressed. The thing with playing guitar is that with practice, you can and will see and hear noticeable improvement.

guitarsolos
    What is your all time favorite song? Who is your favorite guitarist right now? What song can't you play, but you want to play?
    Do you want to play fast or like Creed speed?
    Figure out what YOU want to do and just freakin do it...but DO NOT STAY LAZY!!!

------------------
    Whoooaaa TRIGGER!!!
    -------------------------
    I am just a punk kid who plays guitar.
    What is understood ..should not be discussed!!

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Dude, my fav. is of course Eddie. He is my frickin hero. I wanna play his style, and like Satriani and others similar to them. If i could just learn some basic ed licks, id shit myself!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops, I almost forgot..

GET A METRONOME!!!!!!!!

10 minutes praticing WITH a metronome is about the same as an hour WITHOUT one!

There are several schools of thought on the 'right' way to use a metronome. My choice:

start SLOW--REALLY slow
    practice til it's comfortable and clean
    up 2 notches
    practice til it's comfy and clean
    down 1 notch
    practice....
    up 2...
    down 1...
    etc
    until you can't play up to speed.

Slow down 20 notches..and start the process again.

Some days you'll make leaps...other days nothing. But the long term will show a steady improvement.

ANYTHING you want to play...start out so slow that you CAN'T screw it up...and work on it with the metronome. Eventually, you'll have it! It may take days, weeks, months, or years, but it will happen.

Take your time, be patient, practice REGULARLY, and have fun!

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.17.12 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have not checked out wholenote.com, so it may be better than this site, but check out www.guitarlessonworld.com. Its got some great stuff for beginners

------------------
    "What do you figure the temperature is?"
    "...one"

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Good point Abe-and following up my earlier advice about wholenote.com....the lessons they have have midi files with accompaniment that has an adjustable speed, allowing you to do the exercises slow then fast. This modern technology stuff is amazing!

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

O'kay guys, you got to me also! I'm pulling out my Blue Wolfie and starting over. I really suck and only know/remeber a few cords but damn I look good with that guitar!!! LOL. MO.

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's a shameless plug: try http://www.vhguitar.com/lessons.html .

------------------
    Scott Roberts
    The Van Halen Trade Site
    http://www.vhtrading.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been playing for 12 years, still can't read sheet music. Listening and watching if possible is the only way i have learned. I suck to a point but it's all fun anyway.