Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys !
    Yeah...i'm new here !
    I'm a young Van Halen Fan ! I really really love EVH style of playing ! I play guitar for like 9 month and I can play some VH riff !
    I like to make some tapping ! im getting really with this !
    My question was just : Did EVH had influence on your playing ???
    [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude?

I think you'll find that the influence he has had on even the majority of people here, is scary.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Speaking for almost everyone on this board, to say yes would be an understatment.

Specifically:

Hammer-ons.
    Going for it.

Ed's other influences are things like making a cover song yours instead of playing it exactly like the record. Being yourself. He got me into Alan Holdsworth. Ed always came across as gracious and humble, he always had time (in the old days) for an interview with the guitar mags which in the old days was a huge deal because in the 70's and early 80's most big name guitarists felt it was beneath them to talk to a journalist and most were too insecure to share their technique.
    Ed also was great because he was cheap. That was a huge help to know that I didn't have to spent a mountain of money to be a hotshot guitarist. I think almost all of his equipment on VH1 was either used and or built or modified by him.
    Ed also made me curious about working on my own guitars so I've wrecked a couple of cheap copies durring my rookie days with black and white stripes and pulling out and putting in pickups but it's paid off with general work on my main guitar.

**Never take chance with your guitar! If you don't know - GO TO A PRO!! *********
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Influence my playing? He's the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place!
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Originally posted by Axxman300:
    Speaking for almost everyone on this board, to say yes would be an understatment.

Specifically:

Hammer-ons.
    Going for it.

Ed's other influences are things like making a cover song yours instead of playing it exactly like the record. Being yourself. He got me into Alan Holdsworth. Ed always came across as gracious and humble, he always had time (in the old days) for an interview with the guitar mags which in the old days was a huge deal because in the 70's and early 80's most big name guitarists felt it was beneath them to talk to a journalist and most were too insecure to share their technique.
    Ed also was great because he was cheap. That was a huge help to know that I didn't have to spent a mountain of money to be a hotshot guitarist. I think almost all of his equipment on VH1 was either used and or built or modified by him.
    Ed also made me curious about working on my own guitars so I've wrecked a couple of cheap copies durring my rookie days with black and white stripes and pulling out and putting in pickups but it's paid off with general work on my main guitar.

**Never take chance with your guitar! If you don't know - GO TO A PRO!! *********
    I couldn`t agree with you more . I doubt I would have picked up old Cream , Holdsworth , The Who`s Live at Leeds , Grand Funk if it wasn`t for Ed talking about them in old interviews . Ed used to butcher up old cover tunes and they came out sounding killer . Now being influenced by Ed can be a double edged sword because most of the time I`m just ripping off his licks instead of doing my own thing or trying to replicate his gear and sound instead of just playing and having fun . My advice to others and myself don`t get so wrapped up in Eds sound and licks that it keeps from being yourself and having fun playing guitar [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VanHalen5150:
    Hi guys !
    Yeah...i'm new here !
    I'm a young Van Halen Fan ! I really really love EVH style of playing ! I play guitar for like 9 month and I can play some VH riff !
    I like to make some tapping ! im getting really with this !
    My question was just : Did EVH had influence on your playing ???
    [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    well I can't say I picked up a guitar because of EVH, Ace Frehley is the reason I started playing, *but* I lost interest very soon afterward, then I heard Eruption and it was all over, it was 1978 and I havn't put the guitar down since and boy are my hands tired
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He changed the direction of my life completely.
    The first time I heard eruption it was all over.Now I like most spend almost all of my free time sitting behind a guitar going holy shit ok how'd he do that one here we go again.No not only do I play like him but i grew my hair out long and even look like him.Not on purpose of course
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, he and the woman makes me wanna play the guitar haha... in 91 i had buy me the cd f.u.c.k because of one song... after that i got every van halen record and every van halen songbook or tabs etc... he is the greatest influence after hendrix...

but there are so many guitarplayers out there you can learn from... steve lukather, vai, satriani or go back to the roots, to eds, lukathers, vais heros... just have fun and keep on searching for your own style, sound etc...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eddie and my brother made me want to pick up the guitar.

I had listened to Eddie (via my brother's records) and was literally amazed by what I was hearing. Fair Warning just blew me away.

However, I never thought that I'd ever be able to play it.

Then I walked in on my brother playing Meanstreet and when I saw that this kind of playing was achievable, I wanted to learn.

My brother played the blues scale once, said, "I'm going for a dump, you'd better have learnt that by the time I get back, or I'll hammer you !"

I learnt that blues scale and I have never looked back. I really enjoy playing the guitar, but I'm really not that good. However, what I can take from my playing is that I sound like ME and nobody else, so that is nice. Plus, I have had the pleasure of giving others enjoyment through my playing, which is the best feeling ever !

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Who the fuck is Edward Van Halen?
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember on another thread a guy was talking about how he had the problem of hammering and tapping all over these blues runs he was trying to go through, LOL I had that same problem. For a couple of years, all I could do when I played was Eddie licks and heavily Ed-influenced licks. Same with an acoustic, whenever I picked it up I'd go through Spanish Fly and Take Your Whiskey Home, and maybe some Big Bad Bill for laughs. I just got really into that whole 80's flashy guitar god era thing, and couldn't get out of it for the longest time.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    I remember on another thread a guy was talking about how he had the problem of hammering and tapping all over these blues runs he was trying to go through, LOL I had that same problem. For a couple of years, all I could do when I played was Eddie licks and heavily Ed-influenced licks. Same with an acoustic, whenever I picked it up I'd go through Spanish Fly and Take Your Whiskey Home, and maybe some Big Bad Bill for laughs. I just got really into that whole 80's flashy guitar god era thing, and couldn't get out of it for the longest time.
    Don't suppose you can remember the chords for Big Bad Bill can you ? I know it's been requested on here quite a few times...

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>