Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being inspired by the concept of Tribb's thread, I began thinking about this:

As a writer and player, I have always had my really creative periods and some really bad slumps. What I've found is that I am at my best when I am beating the left-side of my brain into shape. In other words, if I involve myself in some SERIOUS study of something, somehow it always seems to translate into a musical clarity and creative outburst.

For instance, if I break out some Nietzsche and REALLY study a paragraph intensely, or open up my old number theory book and work out a proof of something really stupid, or try (in vain, as always) to figure out why I suck at chess, my mind suddenly shifts gears and I go into a very flowing writing mode. Oddly, drinking coffee helps, yet Coca-Cola hinders.

If I head out into the park here, and have a staring contest with a damn deer from 10 feet, I get no results. If I go out and just enjoy the fresh air and scenery (which is both remarkable and plentiful here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]), nothing. Bone dry. Watching a tear-jerking movie, or a great comedy...zilch. Meet someone new? Nada. Hear some new music? Nopers. All the 'normal' inspirations seem to work backwards for me. It seems as though I need to overflow my logic circuits in order to trigger the creative. Intellectual pursuit somehow gets warped into artistic energy, yet if I stimulate the emotional side, the creative well is dry as a bone.

So, what (if any) NON-musical things inspire you all to write/play/whatever? I don't mean in terms of lyric-writing here, since that is a different animal altogether. I am referring to those things APART FROM MUSIC that somehow translate (mutate?) into music for you guys. As I said, for me it's being a geek that triggers it. (in other words, the opposite of how it's 'supposed' to work)
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like dirt biking whenever I can, and after awhile I get a kind of natural high from enduro riding. Suddenly, while I'm riding
    music will come to me, and I'm thinking up all kinds of new melodies.
    By the time I get back home and sit down with my guitar they're pretty well gone. So much for that.
    If someone gives me a good set of words I feel creative, but haven't written anything to date that I'm really impressed with.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For some reason when I'm in uncomfortable situations the first thing that pops into my head are fingers up past the 12th fret on a guitar playing licks and I can also hear the lines too. I think I use this as some kind of mechanism to destract myself automatically from the crappy situation I'm in.

Whenever I'm standing on a really crowded subway platform or jammed up inside of a subway train thinking to myself "damn I hate this shit, why the hell do I put myself through this?" I start thinking of music and can envision fingers on the fretboard and hear the phrasing clear as a bell. It sucks though because I wish I had a guitar so bad at the time.

The really odd thing about this though is sometimes when I get home and I start aimlessly improvising I start playing some of the licks that I heard in the subway car without even realizing it and they sound the same exact way they did in my head earlier. They're all different licks that aren't from other songs either. This only happens every once in a while but it's the coolest thing in the world when it does.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's never the same. It may one day be a movie, another day listening to a thunderstorm. What I do know is that all of a sudden, it hits me, the riff and the vocal line. I freak out, drop everything I'm doing and grab my guitar and begin to write.

Of course, smoking pot always helps, but I hear that will wear out too. Problem is, then you forget.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

When I used to work construction ideas would hit me all the time. It was especially frequent when I'd be doing something physically hard but boring. When your working like that I always found that I kinda tune out the outside world and go into a trance. The problem was I'd be so involved in listening to the music going on inside my head that I wouldn't pay attention in a conscience sense. I'd be just doing it, if that makes any sense.

Before I went back to school my dreams used be a rich sourse of inspiration. I'd see, feel and hear the music. Generally it was so complex that when I woke up there was no way for me to get it out of me fast enough to remember it.

These days most of my ideas hit when I first pick up the guitar, it'll be the first thing I play, and it generally comes pretty quick. Unfortunatly I sometimes go a long while between inspiring moments [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]

I usually get some ideas after a long hike, especially when I'm on top of a mountain 100 miles away from a guitar or tape recorder.

My wife always laughs at me because I'm always grooving to something. Just today she started gutting herself after she caught me grooving out to the noise that left turn signal was making, hehe. I think I must have been a drummer in a past life, cause I always find a rhythm to everything, road noise, water drips, anything. I piss off my wife a lot because either my foot's tapping, or I'm using my fork and knife as a set drumsticks. Of course when your using a knife an fork, you need to tune your instument, so I'll leave my water glass full, and drink half of hers! lol
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
    When I used to work construction ideas would hit me all the time. It was especially frequent when I'd be doing something physically hard but boring. When your working like that I always found that I kinda tune out the outside world and go into a trance. The problem was I'd be so involved in listening to the music going on inside my head that I wouldn't pay attention in a conscience sense. I'd be just doing it, if that makes any sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to work for an oil company and from time to time I would have to go to the very back of the plant and fill up an empty semi trailor to the brim with oil drums all by myself. This took hours and hours to do so I would gradually "tune out" like you said and just do it and thats when I would get a lot of ideas and riffs bouncing around in my head. I always seemed to forget then by the time I was done though.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, i always think of cool riffs in my head whenever i'm not near a guitar. pretty convenient. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    and i always tap my foot and bang on things with my knife/fork/anything.