Register
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like to play quiet a lot so this amp might be what I am looking for. Instead of a cranked Marshall! I have not played a Budda yet though. Anyone get good early VH tone with one of these?
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutely! I've got a Superdrive 80. LarryJ has a Superdrive 30. I've played both. They both do a sick early VH sound...particularly a VHII-FW kind of sound. Suprising, considering the 30 uses EL-84s and the 80 uses 6L6/5881s. But there's no arguing with the result, especially through a quad of greenbacks. Definitely try one out if you get a chance.

They have really good master volumes, so you can get good tones at lower volumes. If you're strictly playing at bedroom volumes all the time, though, I'd say just go get a POD or a Sansamp and save yourself some money. Somebody posted some VH clips from the new POD over on the H-C forums today that sound shockingly good!

Good luck!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:
    Absolutely! I've got a Superdrive 80. LarryJ has a Superdrive 30. I've played both. They both do a sick early VH sound...particularly a VHII-FW kind of sound. Suprising, considering the 30 uses EL-84s and the 80 uses 6L6/5881s. But there's no arguing with the result, especially through a quad of greenbacks. Definitely try one out if you get a chance.

They have really good master volumes, so you can get good tones at lower volumes. If you're strictly playing at bedroom volumes all the time, though, I'd say just go get a POD or a Sansamp and save yourself some money. Somebody posted some VH clips from the new POD over on the H-C forums today that sound shockingly good!

Good luck!
    What is the H-C forum? Can you direct me? I have a POD and a Flextone amp, and would love to get that early VH sound down pat.
    Thanks.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Ratter said they can get a sound that's somewhere inbetween VHII and Fair Warning and so many more unique tones. You supply the chops and it supply's the tone. Plus no hotplates, these things really sound good at any volume. You get that Ed Marshall type drive plus on my SD 30 a very Voxy chimey clean/semi clean channel with the flick of a switch. Mine also had cabinet switching where you could route the clean channel to one cab and the drive channel to another, so with the footswitch you could switch from say the Voxy clean into a 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue's to the drive channel through a 4x12 w/Greenbacks or my personal favortie G12H30's, all with the click of a footswitch.

Notice I say had.
    I had to sell mine recently but I'll be purchasing another Budda in the near future. Do yourself a favor and go play one.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dont quote me on this but i think the guitarists in Matchbox Twenty both use Budda amps....the new album has some excellent guitar tones and some good playing on it..check it out!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the input. I am not really looking to blast loud with a budda. I have a 100 watt amp to do that but as to what I have heard, budda is very loud. So I am thinking the super drive 18 might be fine instead of a 30. Unless the tone or gain/distortion is different from a 18 to a 30!?
    I think you would spend more money getting a Marshall to produce early VH tone than a budda plus a budda can sound great at low volumes.
    What you guys think???
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DuffHalen:
    Thanks guys for the input. I am not really looking to blast loud with a budda. I have a 100 watt amp to do that but as to what I have heard, budda is very loud. So I am thinking the super drive 18 might be fine instead of a 30. Unless the tone or gain/distortion is different from a 18 to a 30!?
    I think you would spend more money getting a Marshall to produce early VH tone than a budda plus a budda can sound great at low volumes.
    What you guys think???
    Hey Duff,

Are you talking like super super low volumes? If that's the case, then your money is probably best spent on one of the new PODs, to be perfectly honest. I'm kinda gas'ing for one myself...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He said: I think you would spend more money getting a Marshall to produce early VH tone than a budda plus a budda can sound great at low volumes.
    What you guys think???

I said: I think a truer statement has never been made!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DuffHalen:
    What you guys think???
    Hey Duff,

Are you talking like super super low volumes? If that's the case, then your money is probably best spent on one of the new PODs, to be perfectly honest. I'm kinda gas'ing for one myself...
    </font>[/QUOTE]I also stand by this statement. If we're talking, "don't bother anyone in the house at night" volume then the Budda would not be able to live up to its full pontential in this situation. If we're talking, "you've got a decent music room that's not right next to the living room where the wife and kids are watching TV or reading" then I say check out the Budda. Beware, you may retire your Marshall!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I have a Line6 amp with lots of effects and emulations so I don't really want to get a POD. I am looking for a new amp to get close to early VH sounds. I don't really want to deal with a modded Marshall or having to run a power brake to play at low volumes. When I say low volume I mean set to around 3 which on a Marshall or 5150 will not produce that great saturation distortion. I think a budda will work better for my needs. I play in my garage through a 4x12 at night with my amps set to around
    3 and you can hardly hear it upstairs so I don't bug my family. Plus my neighbors are jerks so I don't care if I blow their heads off when I am
    ON FIRE!!!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you can run it like that, then I'd say the SD30 or SD18 would work. I'll wait for Ratter to respond on the SD80 as I don't know how much those can be opened up without getting out of hand.

PS: I'd go with the 30 over the 18, just in case you like it better than your current rig and want to gig with it!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, the master volume on the 80 is so good that I can get a better low-volume tone (as in, practicing in the music room while other people are in other rooms of the house) out of it than out of the Univalve! That's with the Univalve running at 15 watts or less, so I think that says it all right there.

If I only ever got to play at those volumes, I'd still get a POD. But when you have the chance to open it up every now and then, you'll appreciate the amp more than the POD...or better yet, get both! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    What is the H-C forum? Can you direct me? I have a POD and a Flextone amp, and would love to get that early VH sound down pat.
    Thanks.
    H-C is Harmony Central: www.harmony-central.com

The clips that were posted were of the new POD-XT. Its worth asking them at the HC board if there are any recommended VH settings for the old POD model.
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)