Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just wanting some suggestions as to wood type for the body, pickups, etc.

The only things I know for sure that I want are:

Birdseye neck and fingerboard
    Wilkenson tremolo
    LSR Roller Nut
    Sperzel Locking Tuners

I'd also like to get a neck profile that is slighly beefier than the Wolfgang. I've heard people say that Warmoth's Wolfgang neck contour is not an exact match. Is it bigger or smaller, or should I go with something like the SRV or Fatback profile. I really love the feel of the Wolfgang neck, but I'd like a slightly more substantial neck.

What are some suggestions for body wood? I'm torn between Alder and Ash. I want to build it to be pretty much like an American Strat, only with some modifications in hardware, so I'd like to keep it sounding pretty much like an American Strat should sound.

Also, does anybody know the radius of the LSR Roller Nut, or can they be gotten in different radii? I'd like to get the compound radius fretboard which is 10" at the nut and 16" at the 22nd fret. Is the Wilkenson compatible with a compound radius?

Which pickups should I get? Are the Fender Vintage Noiseless any good? If I go with a single coil sized humbucker, can it be made to sound like a regular single coil if need be?

Is there anything else I'm leaving out that would play a factor in tone?

I'm going to buy this thing a little at a time so it won't be such a big financial burden. I now have almost enough money in my guitar fund to get either the body or the neck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

I have a Music Man Silhouette Special with 3 DiMarzio single coils with the MM "Silent Circuit". This guitar sounds fantastic, is low on hum and the pickups sing when distorted. I don't if the pickups and Silent Circuitry are available separately though. The Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup can have the coils split if you wanted too. But if you want the true humbucker sound you can't go past a SD Custom Custom. One of these in a decent guitar into a 5150 is very much the brown sound circa 1991 to 1995.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know whether to put a humbucker in there or not. I have a Wolf Standard, a FT Wolf Special and a PRS CE24, so I kind of have the humbucker sounds covered. Of course, it would be great to have hb and single coils on one axe.

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I bought a banged up mid-70's Fender Mustang years ago that has the fatest neck of any guitar I've ever played. I don't have any idea if one could be made to fit a Warmoth body, but it is a bolt-on neck, for what it's worth. And you used to be able to pick up a Mustang for next to nothing. Just a thought.
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it were me personally I'd got with a HSS pickup configuration, ash body, maple neck/fretboard. I'm actually going to build a Warmoth one of these days too, but I can't seem to get my money tree to grow! I'm still selling a kidney if anyone is interested!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've already got two HSS pickup guitars. i'm thinking of a Warmoth Iceman, mahogany body, maple neck, hardtail. maybe two humbuckers. Ibanez only does basswood Iceman bodies, and i don't like basswood by itself.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Prages, your hardware setup is EXACTLY what I have in mind for a Warmoth Axe.

I figure something new than just a standard Floyd Setup.

But I'm thinking about a VW, with a Spalt Maple Top on Korina, but still not exactly sure about the body wood.

One thing that I'm pulling my hair out over is the pickup configuration. I'm hesitant about putting a single in the bridge, so maybe HSS or SSS..we'll see, anyhow, good luck dude...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before you make a decision, PLEASE check out one axe in particular first. Go to your local Fender dealer and see if he's got an American Fat Strat Texas Special hanging around, which he should. Find a good channel switching tube amp and check it out. Plugged up to a really good rig (an H&K Triamp with this one will blow you away...), the pickup configuration in this axe will nail anything and everything from pristine clean, Hendrix/SRV rockin' & mellow blues to a nice, fat brown sound. It's loaded with two Texas Special single coils (the same as an SRV strat) and a Duncan Pearly Gates Plus 'bucker in the bridge (think a slightly hotter, more midrangey version of a PAF), and for my money at least, is the best-sounding and most versatile pickup configuration I've ever heard. I've seen the whole pickguard/pickup/electronics package for sale on e-bay, and you can probably get it from your Fender dealer as well.

Check it out before you make your decision, I think you'll be impressed.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, playing one of the Fat Strat Texas Specials is what made me decide that I wanted a Strat style guitar. When all is said and done, I can get the Fender with the case a little cheaper than I could build one from Warmoth, but I figured with the Warmoth I might get a little better quality wood (although I didn't find any flaws in either of the Fenders I played).

I haven't even hooked the Strats up to an amp at all because I don't have the money saved up yet, and I refuse to go into debt again for another axe that I don't really need. I loved the feel of the Fat Strats that I played and I'm afraid if I heard one that I'd have to have it right now. I can't take that risk.

That is another reason I was going to go with Warmoth. I can order each part as I have the money saved. Of course, then I'll be paying a fortune for shipping.

I have a lot of thinking to do.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Prages:
    Actually, playing one of the Fat Strat Texas Specials is what made me decide that I wanted a Strat style guitar. When all is said and done, I can get the Fender with the case a little cheaper than I could build one from Warmoth, but I figured with the Warmoth I might get a little better quality wood (although I didn't find any flaws in either of the Fenders I played).

I haven't even hooked the Strats up to an amp at all because I don't have the money saved up yet, and I refuse to go into debt again for another axe that I don't really need. I loved the feel of the Fat Strats that I played and I'm afraid if I heard one that I'd have to have it right now. I can't take that risk.

That is another reason I was going to go with Warmoth. I can order each part as I have the money saved. Of course, then I'll be paying a fortune for shipping.

I have a lot of thinking to do.
    LOL

Yep, sounds like you have quite a quandry on your hands. You can get one of the Strats with a really nice ash body on e-bay, brand new, for about $8-900. Of course, if you're just wanting the experience of building your own axe, and you're dead-set on a birdseye neck, that's cool too. What I really wanted to point out though, is that apart from the guitar itself, you can buy the pickup/electronics package separately, all put together with a nice moto pickguard and ready to drop into whatever Warmoth or whatever you were going to build. I'd highly recommend checking out that pickup combo through a nice amp, though, because it sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I know I love mine! Just bring a couple of friends with you to drag you kicking and screaming out of the store if you can't keep yourself from bustin' out the plastic! lol

Good luck!

SBS

[ July 15, 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Check it out before you make your decision, I think you'll be impressed.
    Texas Special Fat Strat.....Saw one today.....I shoulda plugged it in.

Played some others though....I'm also thinking of starting a project in a couple of months.

Question:

The neck on the American Standard Strat that I played today was obviously wider than my Axis neck, and also a Wolfgang neck. That much I understand.

But what about the distance between frets? The fret wire was way heavier....but wouldn't that technically *decrease* the available space between frets? Or can fret spacing vary between 2 full scale guitars?

Either way, notes were soooo much easier to bend, and picking between 2 strings was so much easier....it made me realize the Axis has really made me lose touch with the feel of a regular Strat.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by Majestic:
    But what about the distance between frets? The fret wire was way heavier....but wouldn't that technically *decrease* the available space between frets? Or can fret spacing vary between 2 full scale guitars?
    The note is determined by the distance between the fret and the bridge, not the distance between frets. Problems would only occur if different size fretwire is used on different frets.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yo Prages,

Just to add a little temptation into the mix:

pickups

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks SBS...

Unfortunately, I just broke the bank and bought a new truck, so my GAS is gonna have to take a back seat for a while...at least until I get adjusted to a new car payment.

I still have a couple hundred dollars set aside for the guitar project, and it's still a go. I just don't feel right spending ANY money on my guitar obsession just yet. I will definately keep an eye out once my "sticker shock" has worn off a little.