Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Okay guys, I have a question for you. Have any of you used Yellow Jackets from THD Electronics in any of your amps, especially a 5150.
    If you are not familiar with what they are, here is a link: www.thdelectronics.com/products/yellow_jacket.htm

Basically, it is an adapter for your amp that allows you to plug an EL 84 tube into a tube socket for a 6L6, EL 34 or whatever. It contains circuitry to change over to a class A amp, without the need to bias your amp.

Anyway, I was thinking about these because if I turn my 5150 combo up past 5, I get the most obscene feedback imaginable. I am one of those people who believe you don't get the best sound out of your amp until it is up around 8 or 9. I didn't know if maybe these would help.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It will change the sound of your 5150, but it might be something you like.
    They aren't all that quiet though.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by nobozos:
    Okay guys, I have a question for you. Have any of you used Yellow Jackets from THD Electronics in any of your amps, especially a 5150.
    If you are not familiar with what they are, here is a link: www.thdelectronics.com/products/yellow_jacket.htm

Basically, it is an adapter for your amp that allows you to plug an EL 84 tube into a tube socket for a 6L6, EL 34 or whatever. It contains circuitry to change over to a class A amp, without the need to bias your amp.

Anyway, I was thinking about these because if I turn my 5150 combo up past 5, I get the most obscene feedback imaginable. I am one of those people who believe you don't get the best sound out of your amp until it is up around 8 or 9. I didn't know if maybe these would help.
    They're more for giving the amp a different tonal charactaristic, but you will be able to crank the amp a *little* more.

The YJ's convert the amp to cathode biased EL84 power, like a Vox AC30. Which means that the amp is in Class A until you saturate the power tubes, then the amp will run Class AB.

I have a pair in my 5150. They do give the amp a much different feel, chimier highs, richer high mids, and a little less low end. Something to remember. If your going to crank the master volume back off of the gain some because the higher you go up on the master the more you saturate the power tubes so you can use less preamp distortion.

I really dig them in my 5150 but I don't see them solving your feedback problem if you run the pre gain above 5 or 6.

[ November 24, 2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: LarryJ ]

Last Online

Yeah, I backed of the pre gain settings right away when I had the feedback, it helped.

The reason I thought I would be able to crank the amp more is because the power output would be cut in half, from 60 watts down to about 30 watts.

Anyway, if the tone is the major change, what is the effect on the gain? Is it hotter, cleaner, or about the same? Does it make the "clean" side of the 5150 any cleaner?

Thanks guys.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First the clean, yes it improves the clean. I always thought the problem with the clean on a stock 5150 is that it was too bassy and the high's were dull. Like I said the YJ's cut a little bass(which the 5150 has plenty to spare anyway) and make the highs sound richer. The clean has the Class A chimey feel to it with them.

The gain doesn't really change, because it mostly comes from the preamp in the 5150. However, the EL84's will saturate quicker than 6L6's, so the normal amount of preamp gain won't be required as you'll be getting some drive from the power tubes mixed in with the drive from the preamp tubes.

You're correct that it does cut the power in half but that doesn't cut the output in half. To cut the actual output volume in half the power would have to be cut to 1/10 of the original wattage. Meaning 10 watts is half as loud as 100 watts, and 5 watts is half as loud as 50.

Last Online

Thanks guys. Overall, I am pretty happy with the tone of my amp. I like a little bottom to my sound, so I can't see any advantage to switching to YJs right now.
    Really, if I keep my lead channel post around 5 and my crunch post around 4, I don't have too many problems with the places I play because the 5150 combo is SO FUCKING LOUD!!!!!!

If I start playing some more mellow stuff, I may try them, but as long as I'm playin' "Snortin Whiskey", and "Train Keppa Rollin'", I'll just stick with the JJ's 6L6s.