Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, this may be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways because I really don't know. I went out of town to a new Guitar Center store today to check it out, and there in the middle of the room was an Ernie Ball Music Man Axis guitar, for about $1,150. Alright, I've actually never played one of these, so I sat down and fiddled around with it and man, it is one AWESOME guitar!!! I asked the guy working there if it was the same model Eddie used to play and he said yes. Now for my question, this is a picture of the guitar I was playing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=484821127

Well, I mean, I had an Amber one but that is the same one. I noticed that everything looks just like Eddie's did, except one little thing, the selector switch is positioned near the volume knob, while Eddie's was towards the neck more. I've also seen other Music Mans for sale where the selector switch was positioned the same place as Eddie's. What's up with this?? Is this an Eddie style Music Man or what?? What's the difference between them?? Should I consider getting it or not?? Thanks for the help.

Brandon

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

it s the same..they just switched the pick up selector to avoid copyright issues...possibly some differnce in neck shape but i doubt it...they owned the rights to the guitars design and pick ups so when eddie left they got to keep the design.....just could nt call it the eddie van halen model.

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4 and proud member of the moron thread!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool. The guitar felt great!!! And it wasn't priced too bad either, about $1,150. Or I'm assuming that's a good price for that guitar, I'm not sure though cause I haven't seen too many around to compare with.

Brandon

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah that's a pretty good price. I tried one out here a few months ago. I liked the guitar a lot. I just wasn't going to pay
    the $1800 they were asking for it. You can
    get an original EVH model for that. Still a
    nice playing guitar though.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Over at I think www.guitarhanger.com oh man! He has some Van Halen guitars.....I had the Ernie Ball amber one and I played it to death....I had the neck off it the thing was basicaly done...I traded it to Guitar Center and they sold it for $3000 If anyone out there has it let me play it! It is Serial Number 87869. Thanks!Hahaha

------------------
    2711 Don't ever drink anything you can't see through.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On that web site, there is an EVH Signature guitar and an EVH Axis STYLE guitar. There's a $1,000 difference between the two. And once again those selector switches are positioned differently again. Can anyone who has a lot of experience with these guitars tell me what the difference is?

Brandon

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

dude we just told you theres no major differnce except for two things .. the position of the toggle switch and it s got eddie van halens signature on it ..whic h is gonna make it a "eddie van halen" limited production guitar.,which it is which makes it a collectors item hence the increased price....

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4 and proud member of the moron thread!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, I got it now.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brandon,

I own 2 evh's...I have played an Axis often as well(not mine though).

1.-The switch is in a different place. No biggie.

2.-The Neck does not feel the same and it's a smidge wider on the Axis.

3.-There is a cut out/contour thing on the top/back of the body to make it "more comfortabel to play", which in my opinion takes some tone away. It sounds just a bit different than an EVH.

4.- The pu's are supposedly, exactly the same. I think they sound slightly different, but not drastically different.

5.- The fact is, it's a good guitar but for $2-400 more you can look for a used EVH and in a few more years, the EVH will be worth more, the Axis will not !!!

What ever makes you play more and keeps you happy, that's what you want !!!!!!!!!

peace,

kujo

------------------
    -Hey fool, wise up, better late than neva. Yeah you, you know that nothing lasts for eva...
    --Can't live without my Musicman EVH's....
    ---Atomic Punk Productions

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kujo's right, but to me the axis isn't any more an EVH than a wolgang special is the same as a standard. The EVH has a much faster and smoother feel to the neck, a brighter sounding pickup, and although it seems they only widened the neck a bit, it really makes a difference in feel and tone. I know I sound biased, but I've played a number of Axis's(Axis's?), as have a number of friends, and I haven't found one that compares to the real thing. I got rid of the last one I owned cause along with sounding dull and too distorted, the neck warped.
    If you can play an EVH next to and Axis, you can't help noticing the difference.
    I think Kujo was just being kind.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, thanks guys. I have never played an EVH so I can't compare it to an Axis. I actually thought the Axis felt pretty good though. I think I may head back to the store this weekend and check around. Another bad thing is I can't find any Wolfgangs anywhere around here. As far as Wolfgangs go though I always thought that the Standard sounded better but the Special was more comfortable to play, at least I thought that Eddie said he prefered the feel of the Special more. I don't know. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Brandon

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brandon,

Are you saying the Special is more comfortable to play because that's what you thought you heard Ed say???

What's more comfortable to you bro???

Your not Ed, none of us are. Play what makes you happy and feels best in YOUR hands.

I like the Special Flame best of all the Wolfs, becuase it's the closest thing to my EVH's. Feel wise. I think the Special Flame sounds close to a Standard....Close enough that I could live with it, because I like the feel better.

Flamed top, Flat top.....I wish I could get them with Standard necks though......

Bottom Line, Play what you feel is Best....

Kujo

What up Tribb???

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good point Kujo. You've gotta play what feels best to you. I just get a little weird when people say the Axis is the same as the EVH. As an owner of EVH's yourself you know that's not so.
    Also, Ed puts standard necks on his specials, and usually fixes them up with diff. pickups, etc. which kinda disqualifies them as specials.
    Not much happening here by the way. How's it goin with you Kujo?

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I thought there was also a copyright prob with the "original" pickups that Eddie himself help make on the MM EVH, and the Axis? Aren't those slightly different pickups on the Axis? Eddie has a patend on those originals I thought. Out.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kujo:
    Flamed top, Flat top.....I wish I could get them with Standard necks though......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The standard necks. I certainly find a difference in feel between the special and standard necks. The standard necks feel much better to me as well...it's my favorite neck I've played. As a matter of fact, it's the reason I'm shying away from buying a special to to give my standard someone to play with while I'm gone to work. Though I did play a standard at a store this past weekend and it didn't feel quite as nice as mine. But I think that was becuase it was played a lot....the neck was a bit dirty...but the salesman still walked by saying, "that's the best playing guitar in this store". But like you say, it's all a matter of what YOU like best.