Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This question is probably for the more experienced guys like Tribb or Homeunit, but if you can answer, please do.

It's the funniest damn thing. My bro and I having been working up songs with the cheesiest, podunk, minor league, lame recording setup you can possibly imagine. An Ovation acoustic straight into the mixer. G & L electric into a Fender stereo Princeton amp, with the stereo S & R cancelled out to fool the amp into sending a line-level signal to the mixer. SR-16 DM plugged into the mixer, and a keyboard. When I ain't playing guitar, I plug the Rick 4001 bass into the mixer. We set up a couple of mics to pick up conversation or if we are ready to work on a vocal or I'm playing the harmonica. He and I monitor our performance wearing cans. High-quality mixer? I don't think so. Radio Shack realistic mixer from early 80's used for mixing multiple inputs such as tape decks, record players, CD players. I used to use it for making mixed tapes with segues. We plug the guitar signals into the 'magnetic' phonograph inputs using a mono 1/4 inch to RCA plug adapter, the bass into the mic input (when not recording vocals or playing harp), and send the output RCA plugs of the mixer into a cassette deck. Fricking hilarious.

You know something? It blows me away how good the mix is sometimes and the clarity of the guitar parts.

I thought everyone might get a chuckle out of the set-up. I've been eyeballing my PC the last month or so and I think it is the next victim. Just got to bump the RAM up to a least 128MB first so ProTools will run.

Anyway, to the question I want to ask - is the POD or Johnson J station or any of the Roland/Boss multi-effects pedals (G3 or R3 - I hope I have the model right) or any similiar devices capable of driving not only an amp but also a mixing board. In other words, do any of these devices have dual outputs, one for sending to an amp and another for sending to a board? If not, is the one signal output strong enough to use a splitter with to accomplish this? If any of you use two signals like this to record and drive an amp, let me know how you do it, and how it's going.
    <b><i>They call me the thread killer.</b></i><br /><br />First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.<br /><br /><b>Galactic Cowboys</b> <b><i>Let It Go</b></i><br /><b>King's X</b> <b><i>Manic Moonlight</b></i><br /><b>Rush</b> <b><i>Vapor Trails</b></i> <br /><b>David Douglas</b> <b><i>Music From A Guest Room</b></i><br /><br />Later, VHDOF

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

With the Pod Pro, you can run +4 or -10 but not at the same time. I don't know about the J-Station, but if I had to guess, I would say that it dosn't run line level.

What is it that you're wanting to do? If you're wanting to use the Pod as a pre, I don't think that's your best bet. When I had my Pod Pro, I ran a tube pre in front of it to try and warm it up.

Let us know what you're wanting to accomplish and then we might be able to better direct you.

If you're wanting to power your mixer, the Pod, or any such device won't work, you'd need a seprate p/a for that.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

too funny. i got the same RS mixer...i keep it around, just in case. it's in a bag on my old equipment shelf...got a lot of use outta that little sucker, i think i paid $25 for it (used) back when i was in high school.

i've got an old Digitech multi-pedal (maybe an RP5? it's at home) that i run through my Mackie mixer. i get a good signal to the PC that way. i also have plugged it straight into the power amp and through small cabs, it's a usable sound, but not the best.

[ May 17, 2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: twonabomber ]
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What I'd like to be able to do is rehearse with amps at full volume, and also capture a line-level signal for recording at the same time. I was hoping this line-level recording out could come directly from a pod, as opposed to having to route it to the amp and then send the amp out to the mixer or mic the amp. This way, if the guitar player wants to bump up the volume of the amp, it doesn't make the recording signal go haywire. Only the POD would have to be watched for volume/sound changes. Of course, this is making the assumption that we will be satisfied with the sound coming directly out of the POD or similiar device. Obviously, if the amp adds significant quality to the guitar sound (as of course it often will) then we have a whole new scenario. But what I've described would be perfect I think for recording acoustic guitar, and also allowing that acoustic guitar to be amplified. I've heard some of the patches on the J station and they sound great with an acoustic.

Homeunit, you said something about 'warming' up the POD. How bad of a problem was this?

Tribb, got any input on this?

Thanks guys for your help...
    <b><i>They call me the thread killer.</b></i><br /><br />First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.<br /><br /><b>Galactic Cowboys</b> <b><i>Let It Go</b></i><br /><b>King's X</b> <b><i>Manic Moonlight</b></i><br /><b>Rush</b> <b><i>Vapor Trails</b></i> <br /><b>David Douglas</b> <b><i>Music From A Guest Room</b></i><br /><br />Later, VHDOF