Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just checked the warmoth website under "bodies" and I couldn't seem to find a one-pu strat style body resembling the old rear-loaded Kramers and Charvels Ed used to play. I saw some other shapes and some different models routed for one pickup but no strat style. I thought they were available??

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warmoth routes the bodies to suit you. If you want a rear routed Strat body with a single pickup, that's what they build you. The exact dimensions may not be the same as some guitars, but they are exact replacements for Strats.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hoobastank6:
    I just checked the warmoth website under "bodies" and I couldn't seem to find a one-pu strat style body resembling the old rear-loaded Kramers and Charvels Ed used to play. I saw some other shapes and some different models routed for one pickup but no strat style. I thought they were available??
    nope there are no Charvel bodies on warmoth , you'll have to get a rear routed single hum pickup
    strat body, or if you want it exact they will do it for you for an arm and a leg but you have to supply dimentions, or goto wayneguitars.com
    and buy a rock legend body but $200 for an unfinished body is a little steep IMO
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to be fair to warmoth, they will cut a strat style body to kramer specs, and it won't be much more.
    As far as the routing goes, they'll route it anyway you like, and set it up for a floyd before shipping so all you have to do is pop the floyd in.
    The cost of a warmoth body is because they do use high quality peices of wood, giving you the choice of a no. of factors like weight, grain, etc.
    Their cost is also reflective of anyone elses cost. They don't charge more.
    I've found them to be a very honest compay to deal with, and make some serious workhorse guitars that'll stand up to years of abuse, and look beautiful as well.
    Like any other instrument, including Rol's, if you want something that's quality made you're gonna have to spend a few bucks.
    You can't buy champagne with beer money.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:

That's why I drink beer!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to be fair to warmoth, they will cut a strat style body to kramer specs, and it won't be much more.
    As far as the routing goes, they'll route it anyway you like, and set it up for a floyd before shipping so all you have to do is pop the floyd in.
    The cost of a warmoth body is because they do use high quality peices of wood, giving you the choice of a no. of factors like weight, grain, etc.
    Their cost is also reflective of anyone elses cost. They don't charge more.
    I've found them to be a very honest compay to deal with, and make some serious workhorse guitars that'll stand up to years of abuse, and look beautiful as well.
    Like any other instrument, including Rol's, if you want something that's quality made you're gonna have to spend a few bucks.
    when did they start doing this ?? if it's there VH cut they told me about and I ordered a few years ago it wasn't right, last I talked to them to do a Kramer body (5150 type) was going to be around $200 if not more, they charge for setup and design work etc etc, I'm not knocking them matter of fact I use them quite a bit I just think for simple changes to a body they can get pricey and yes there is no doubt about their quality it's top notch, same applies to waynes guitars his charvel rock legend (the same body as Eds B&Y) is $200 no knock on the quality there either but you can get the same quality body in a strat for $130ish and there are minor changes
    to make it a charvel I just think a blank alder body for $200 is pricey just my opinion, now if it were AAAA Zebra wood with a walnut back ok but just a plain old alder body ?
    Rol.
    my 2 cents

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zebra wood and walnut are nice for tops, but shitty tone woods IMO.
    When you pay for those exotic woods your not paying so much for the wood as the grain, shipping, cutting, and possible rarity of the wood.
    I think alder is one of the best tone woods ever produced, and if you get a good hand selected peice 200 is a very fair price.
    You know that there are many varying grades of alder and while a 130 dollar peice of alder is available it's not gonna sound like a better, more expensive peice, hand selected for tone.
    Next time you're at the lumber yard go over to the alder 2x6's or 2x8's and tap them.
    You'll be amazed at the difference in sound between 2 boards of the same size.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you pay for those exotic woods your not paying so much for the wood as the grain, shipping, cutting, and possible rarity of the wood.
    I think alder is one of the best tone woods ever produced, and if you get a good hand selected peice 200 is a very fair price.
    You know that there are many varying grades of alder and while a 130 dollar peice of alder is available it's not gonna sound like a better, more expensive peice, hand selected for tone.
    Next time you're at the lumber yard go over to the alder 2x6's or 2x8's and tap them.
    I was talking about warmoths base alder strat bodies, I was wrong they went up to $145 (wow) it's very good grade alder and to alter that body a little bit it would be more than $200 cause there is a $60 design\tooling fee and that is there *base* alder, so you wouldn't be gettin a hand selected piece for $200 plus you's be getting there base alder .
    Alder is not that expensive of a wood (around the pacific west ) matter of fact it's the cheapest wood warmoth offers even in super high grades. the Zebra\walnut was just an example of something that you would expect to be expensive because they are exotic (I would never use those)
    Do you see my point here ? $200 plus for a base grade alder body is too much just cause it's the shape you want.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see your point bud, but I still have to disagree.
    I respect your opinion, but if you ask for a specific peice of alder based on what you want and have it cut to your specs, I still don't think 200 is a big price for a great sounding body.
    That's the first and one of the most important steps. You can swap out pickups by the dozen, but you've gotta start with a good sounding peice of wood.
    I think warmoth uses quality wood and going by some of the players I've talked to who've ordered through them, they'd have no problem with finding you a very light peice if you requested it.
    I'm more interested in how the wood resonates than how it looks, so maybe I'm not a good one to be even throwing my 2 cents in here.
    I guess it's too late for that though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    [/qb]
    That's why I drink beer![/QB][/QUOTE]

That leaves you more money to spend on your Mesa Boogies!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    I was talking about warmoths base alder strat bodies, I was wrong they went up to $145 (wow) it's very good grade alder and to alter that body a little bit it would be more than $200 cause there is a $60 design\tooling fee and that is there *base* alder, so you wouldn't be gettin a hand selected piece for $200 plus you's be getting there base alder .
    Alder is not that expensive of a wood (around the pacific west ) matter of fact it's the cheapest wood warmoth offers even in super high grades. the Zebra\walnut was just an example of something that you would expect to be expensive because they are exotic (I would never use those)
    Do you see my point here ? $200 plus for a base grade alder body is too much just cause it's the shape you want.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I noticed you use lace wood a lot Rol, how is it for cost and sound?
    Is it an easy wood to work with?
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another option for custom bodies and necks is USA custom guitars. The owner, Tommy, is a previous Warmoth employee. All their wood is "tone tapped" personally by him and they do high quality work. Plus he's really cool and his customer service is A+ all the way. I ordered a strat style in a basic swamp ash - paint grade - and I had trouble painting over it because the wood looked so good. I think an alder body is around $155. I would guess that he'd do a one pickup route and floyd rose at no additional charge...

Check them out here:

www.usacustomguitars.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by homeunit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:

That's why I drink beer!</font>[/QUOTE]Do, the stuff i use to buy beer
    Ray, the guy who brings me beer
    Me, the guy who drinks the beer
    Fa, the distance to my beer
    So, I'll drink another beer
    La, la la la la la beer
    Te, no thanks I'll have a beer
    That will bring us back to... D'OH!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriously, while we're on the subject, sometimes I really can't believe how much I love beer. Everything about it.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by chief99:
    Seriously, while we're on the subject, sometimes I really can't believe how much I love beer. Everything about it.
    Moving this to Alcoholics room.... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently