Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

The local hole in the wall music store has had an old Marshall head in there for quite some time and with all the talk of old Marshall heads in this forum I figured I go check it out. It was a JMP 100 watt lead with with Presence,High,Mid,Low,Vol,Preamp Vol. I played it through a old peavey 4x12 cab and Ibanez garbage guitar . The head was old,the presence knob didn`t work and sounded like it needed some work and be played through a better cab. The thing that got me though was the volume , Holy Crap on 1 it was blazing loud and that was as loud as I could take in the store , I can imagine all of you that have those old beasts must sound great when there modded and cranked . Sorry to drone on just thougt I`d share that with everyone.
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by 51501984:
    The local hole in the wall music store has had an old Marshall head in there for quite some time and with all the talk of old Marshall heads in this forum I figured I go check it out. It was a JMP 100 watt lead with with Presence,High,Mid,Low,Vol,Preamp Vol. I played it through a old peavey 4x12 cab and Ibanez garbage guitar . The head was old,the presence knob didn`t work and sounded like it needed some work and be played through a better cab. The thing that got me though was the volume , Holy Crap on 1 it was blazing loud and that was as loud as I could take in the store , I can imagine all of you that have those old beasts must sound great when there modded and cranked . Sorry to drone on just thougt I`d share that with everyone.
    So did you buy, or just fingering the merchandise?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 51501984:
    So did you buy, or just fingering the merchandise?</font>[/QUOTE]Nah , I thought about it but I don`t gig and 100 watts in our spare room (my guitar room) is just to much . But the belive me the thoughts of buying it and having it modded were racing around in my head [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's funny because recently I have been wanting to get my hands on a jmp and ebay seems to be the only way how.

But I was in Guitar Center the other day to pick up a speaker cable when lo and behold i saw an old marshall with rusty metal handle parts. It was a 50 watt jmp from 79 i think. GC had labeled it vintage and priced it at $999.99. I talked to the guy and told him that you could pick up one on ebay for about $600-700. He said because it was labeled "vintage" that he couldn't wiggle with the price.

Anyways even though i had my guitar at the time i didn't have time to play through it. I think that I might go in there and do that sometime soon though. Supposedly a stock jmp is gonna sound killer so you don't even have to mod it. But i suspect that cranking it would improve the tone.

Anyways, it'd be cool to hear from the jmp experts here about this head cuz like i said just recently i've been jonesing for getting one and there a couple of questions I have. I imagine that since the one you played was a 100 watt thats why you couldn't push it past 1. With a 50 watt you could probably go all the way to 2. I think that going unmodded would be the way to go, is that right? Also would an unmodded 50 watt jmp have enough gain to roughly approximate ed's sound on vh I? That's really the sound I'm going for.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Ah yes, the pleasures of a good JMP. Yes, an unmodded 50 or 100 watt JMP will get you VERY close to the classic van halen sound. I recommend the master volume models. The 4 input super lead JMPs are ridiculously loud and not very practical. You can still be screamingly loud with a master volume model, and you have the option of turning down as well. I recommend a JMP to anyone who is seriously getting into guitar playing and learning how to not only play the guitar, but also the amp. Old marshalls really allow the player to learn how to control feedback, and get used to the touch sensitivity of a single channel amp. Roll back your guitar volume for clean, and open it up for rhythm. . .and hit that overdrive pedal for your leads. Tone heaven.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I finally went and checked out that 50 watt jmp at gc.

Yesterday, me and a friend of mine went and I was surprised but GC had raised the price from $999.99 to $1200.00 Needless to say but I wasn't intending on buying it from them, but just to play through one to get a feel for how they sound and respond, and eventually get one on ebay.

Even though I didn't have my guitar, my friend brought along his guitar, a shred machine with humbuckers and floyd along. I really liked the sound. The master was set on 1 and the gain was maxed. This was a reasonable bedroom level and I was surprised at the amount of gain that the amp had for a late 70's head. It sounded smooth, nice and warm. Really organic. My friend, who is partial to a more modern sound even managed to get a good metal scooped sound by cutting the mids on the amp.

After playing it for a while through my friends guitar I wanted to see how it would sound through my guitar so I did the next best thing: Plugged in a Les Paul from the store just like mine at home

I've got a Les Paul Classic and the amp sounded unbelievable with the store Classic. Classics have pretty hot pickups and man, the amp just shined. I got even more crunch and body. Overall, I see a jmp sometime in the near future for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The only thing, and I expected this to be sure, was that while the sound was nice and crunchy while riffing/playing rhythm, when I went for a lead and tried to solo, I just couldn't get the sustain that I wanted, that singing quality. I know people have had nice results with a tube screamer, but was wondering if there were any other suggestions for goosing your signal so that you can get that nice lead tone?