Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I was adding another reply to my tantrum on the Korean Wolfgangs when I had a sudden moment of clarity. I figured out the grand scheme. Sometime in the not so distant future, the ONLY American Wolfgang you will be able to buy will be a Custom Shop. All of the rest will be produced in Korea. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. Let's face it, the Wolf was flying off the shelves for awhile, but the combination of Eddie's lack of production of an album coupled with the increased price of the guitar has stalled sales. So what is the perfect solution? There are still people here who will pay an arm and a leg for a Wolfgang, especially if it is unique, but the majority of people who want one can't afford one, so they completely eliminate the production of off the rack American made Wolfgangs, and totally replace the line with Korean made Wolfs. The Quilt Top Special is just the beginning. It's a trial run to see if people will accept it. So, hold onto your American made Wolfgangs, because they may soon be extint.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's an interesting point! I may be mistaken but didn't a similar thing happen with the Kramer guitars in the '80s? As I recall Eddie was under the impression that they were made in the USA when Kramer had actually shifted production to Korea. Anyway, I have no money so I won't be buying a US Wolf, but it's an interesting theory you have. However, I doubt Eddie would let himself get into a similar situation to the Kramer thing again - I think he would be pretty forceful in having any instrument with his name on it being made in the USA only. Food for thought though, that's for sure!

[ April 06, 2002 at 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Romeo Delight ]</p>
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I disagree, although it's an interesting thought.
    However, I think that the Custom Shop will be the one to go. As cool as it is to be able to make your own Wolfgang, I just don't see THAT many people spending $3000+ for one. The USA made models are going to be by far the best sellers.
    The Custom Shop is a great idea, but being that EVH is no longer visable I question whether or not it's going to make as much money as Peavey has put into it. Anyone on this forum ordered a custom Wolfgang yet?

As far as the Korean model is concerned... we'll see, but I imagine it'll be for beginner players or for 'experimentation.'

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah I hear what you saying about the custom shop. But really I would imagine that except for the costs to get started, they have very little ongoing costs. I wouldn't think they would start building a guitar until its ordered. So they may be able to keep it open for a long time or at least until they sell out their supplies specific to the custom shop.

As for the original point of the thread, I think that is a possibility. Peavey is going to do whatever they can to make a profit and this could be a test. They'll probably go with whatever setup gives them the most profit. Regardless, I'm keeping my wolfie standard...just cause its a joy to play.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Trennasol.
    The wolf has been in production for about 6 years, and there's about 40-50,000 already made and on the street. They're not exactly flying off the shelves anymore, and with Ed's lack of visibility I can't see people wanting to pay 3000 for a guitar that's built exactly the same as the standard US model, but with a fancy paint job, and a rosewood board. People are smart enought to realize that you can get a very good quality guitar from companies like Warmoth for a fraction of the price of a wolf, and better in quality cause you can pick your own woods without taking out a bankloan. The big thing seems to be to capture Ed's sound and you don't need a wolf for that. If you're not good at putting together your own, you could get someone like Rols to put together a handbuilt and tested VH sounding and looking guitar for about 1/3 the cost of a custom shop wolf.
    People are selling wolf pickups and trying different pickups in their wolfgangs looking for a sound they're not capturing with the stock guitar. When was the last time you saw anyone do that with an original EBMM EVH?
    There's something to be said for rarity of an item, and I think peavey's only gonna bury themselves and screw up production values even more with the korean line.
    I see a few rabid wolfgang fans over at the Peavey forum, who freak if you say anything negative about a wolf. You see guys posting about cracked bridges, intonation always being off, neck buzzing, etc.. and it's always the same 5 or 6 guys saying it's their fault for not understanding the guitar.
    Call it international or whatever, but I can't see anything good for Peavey in the long run by introducing the Korean model, and there's so many US models out there now and still being cranked out that I can't imagine them ever becoming extinct.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Tribb, I couldn't agree with you more about the Korean line. I think you just said what I was trying to say in my original post about the Korean Wolfgang, just with a little more finesse. I really do notice a little difference in quality between my old Wolfgang and the Ernie Ball Axis I currently own. I have owned four Wolfgangs, and I noticed that the first year or two of production of the Wolf was a lot better quality than what you get now. That is not taking into consideration what will come out of Korea. I just don't understand why anyone would spend $700 to $800 on a Korean Wolf when you can get an American Wolf Special for that all day long. It's not even a matter of being a snob about American products. Everyone knows that the re-sale value of an American guitar is much better than that of a Korean guitar, so why would you put yourself in the hole that way? I really do believe what I said originally in this thread. I think that the Wolf will go the way of the Jackson. They used to make really good quality American guitars, but then moved their production overseas. Now the only American Jacksons you see are so expensive it is obscene. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I definitly would buy and construct a guitar through Warmoth and/or Stew Mac before I ordered from the EVH custom shop. Actually started looking at it a bit. And I definitly could get exactly everything I'd want on it, cept maybe not my ideal body finish. I might do this in the future. But its not necessary right now and don't have the cash.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980