Register
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok check this, since my peavey triumph 60 is STILL in the shop being rebiased and retubed ive been using my classic 20 to drive a 2X12 cab during band practice...well i put the pre at 6 and post maxed at 10 with a metal zone for the crunchy metal stuff(which sounded decent actually)...anyway i just retubed it with groove tubes saturday and sunday after practice when i take it home and plug in it makes no sound,the tubes dont get hot and it starts to smell like somethins burning inside the chassis ..i only leave it on for a few seconds but still im waitin for it to burst into flames ala my old marshall. what do you guys think ive done to my little amp? does it sound serious? (btw i asked the peavey board and they said the classic 20 is self biasing so its ok to just pop the tubes in ). im pissed because the music store is the only one here in delaware that stocks groove tubes and they fuckin charged me 70 bucks for 2 12 ax7 s and 2 el 84 s !!! but my freinds were waitin at the house with their instruments and we hadnt played together for a week so i just said fuck it ok. now heres part 2 of my dilema if thats for just those little tubes...i ordered 4 ecc 83 s and 2 6L6 s and a rebias for my triumph 60(although its at another shop) but im hopin im not lookin at 300.00 for this when i could get the tubes direct for about 60.00. arrrgh music equipment pisses me off [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought Groove Tubes were guaranteed for a certain time period. First things first---find someone with a tube tester (call around to electronics shops if you have to) and see if the tubes themselves are fried. Beyond that, you are dealing with a DANGEROUS situation: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING in the amp other than the tubes. If you take it in to have it fixed, warn the repairman of what the symtoms are. Yuo have blown SOMETHING in the amp, but I don't know what it is. If you're lucky, it's just a fuse, but you didn't mention whether or not the light was coming on when you power up. But, since it smells funny, something got cooked, and most likely from hitting it with such a loud signal to begin with, and then turning up to 10.

I know the sinking feeling you get when something goes like that. I feel for ya, man, but be safe-your life is worth more than an amp.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick, what are they doing to your 60? They could have rebuilt the chasis by now.
    Tubes are like light bulbs. When they're gone that's it, and there's usually no smell unless you've burnt the grid or part of the circuit, so if you smell something burning don't go in there at all. Have someone qualified look at it. I believe groove tubes has a 30 or 90 day warranty so check that out first cause if the problem is caused by a groove tube failing well that's a whole different story.
    You were pushing that little sucker hard to drive the extra cabinet. That's why you got the 60 remember? Did you check to make sure that the extra speakers you plugged in were matched in resistance to the output of your 20?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yes the light does turn on but no sound and the tubes dont light up only the pre amp tubes a little bit. ....the speakers are matched yes..it worked fine for a day ,practice went fine then when i got home a few hours later this happens [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]...tribb btw im going to get my amp back this wednsday if its not done...this happened before i guess ill have to order the tubes myself then take it to the "franchise" music store for the rebias.that way ill get fast service but they wont kill me on tube prices. ill let ya know how it goes....ahhhhh delaware you gotta love it here so many music stores to choose from.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick, you might have blown your output transformer, or there could be a safety on the board which shut it down. If it smells like a burnt metallic smell, then it could be the transformer, but if you smell burnt plastic it could be part of the board which is probably cheaper to fix. Don't wait too long on the 60. When I take mine in for small stuff like biasing, or checking a phase inverter, it's always ready the next day. They could be waiting for the tubes you asked for to arrive. Phone them and tell them you need it for a gig, and if they can't have it ready you'll have to go somewhere else.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok heres the update...im very embarrased by this and it was dumb i know but....last week when i brought my amp home from practice i was very drunk and i took the tubes out for the trip home. when i got home i put the tubes in the wrong sockets like a drunk idiot.since it s just 2 pre and power tubes and the el84 and 12ax7s have the same prong configuration......after leaving the amp alone i just couldnt figure out what happened and just being curious looked at the tubes to see if they were cracked or something. then i see the word el 84 written on the socket of the pre amp tube. i cant tell you the words that come out of my mouth.it seems to be working ok right now but i hope i didnt do much damage but i only had it on about 30 to 40 secs max. .....now part 2....i called about my triumph 60 yesterday and said it had been awhilwe with my amp and i was getting worried..they said it was done that day and that apparently it neede more than just a re tube alot of the resistors and capcitors were blown too...(so much for ebay honesty).he apologized for the wait but explained that the amp tech is one of the best in delaware so he gets alot of work from bands and such .actually i also learned he does all the amp work for george thourogood,even when he was starting out here in delaware. (my sister went to highschool with george here in his hometown of wilmington ,delaware [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) so he explained he s backed up alot but its worth the wait.he said he got the groove tubes i wanted and fixed everything and its now fine. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ill pick it up thursday and let ya know how it sounds.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There aren't that many resistors, and very few capacitors on that amp, and when they blow they don't usually take a string along with them, so he probably replaced them to be safe. It's a minor job and shouldn't be expensive so when you go in there act like you know what you're doing, and he'll probably be very reasonable.
    It takes a speacial kind of musician to be so drunk you put the tubes in the wrong sockets..lol
    Sounds like you don't get much done at rehearsals. My advice is to drink less and play more, and take the fuckin sunglasses off when you're putting the tubes back. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

its 155.00 for everything so it doesnt sound to bad. well friday rehersals start out good but then......lets just say fridays are more of a get together and jam and drink sessions...real practice is on sundays,tuesdays, and wednsdays [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]....honestly though i was truly embaressed by what i did.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not a bad price considering the cost of the tubes, biasing, and the fact that it probably took him at least a couple of hours to find everything and repair it.