Thread: KOR Wolf Tryout

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at Sam Ash a couple days ago and they had a couple Korean Wolfs. I don't want to rehash the topic, but I finally tried one, and want to know what other people think about em.

I picked up a yellow/amber quilt, and played it through a 5150/212. I examined it on the rack a bit before I played it. The neck definitely has a satin finish on it, and upon playing it, does not feel bad at all.

The black paint in the pickup cavities was showing about an 1/8 of an inch out into the body.
    The tremolo unit is completely different than all of the Wolfgangs. It's operation was stiff, and not in a pleasant way either. The design of the knife edge to the posts and the tremolo arm are the main differences.

The one I was playing also had a frozen volume pot and would barely taper at all, so I didn't get to mess with that. Tonally, it is by no means a terrible guitar. I do have to say that my Japanese made Jackson made a much better attention to detail on the paint job though.

I looked at the pickup height, and whether or not it was this particular guitar, the neck looked ok, but the bridge didn't look as high as the US Wolf height. They had the D-tuna all fucked up backwards and upside down, and I tried that out.

I wouldn't necessarily pay over $600 for it, but somewhere in the fives might cut it, if I was a beginner. It played ok and sounded good, but there's a certain "manufactured" quality that I find on overseas instruments that I don't really care for. That exception would be some of Fender's Squier instruments.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences with it...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That would be why they are made in Korea. Less quality for less price. You get what you pay for. They are good guitars for a beginner, but I wouldn't use one myself.
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's just more than just lack of attention to detail.
    I've heard people on the peavey site say that the guitars are made by one factory only that "specealizes" in making wolfgangs. If that's true then maybe it's time to train some more people. Letting a guitar go with a black paint overspray, or hardware put on backwards is fine. I guess they figured the Americans would correct it. 30 seconds on the assembly line is long enough.
    I just don't understand anyone, beginner or not, paying 500. and up for a guitar that has the problems and disregard for quality that you mentioned. If those are the problems on the surface then what about things under the surface like glue joints and integrity of the neck structure that won't be noticable for awhile.
    There are way better used instruments for that price, but no one seems to want to take the time to look. They see a shiny top on it and that's all they need.
    I'm amazed that Ed is actually thinking of putting his name on that guitar. I guess they figure it'll keep the price up, regardless of the quality.
    I'm also surprised that a store like Same Ash would even put a guitar with flaws like that, and had a backwards D-tuna up on the wall. You can tell that one went through a rigorous inspection at peavey.
    Try any guitar through a 5150 and you'll get tons of gain but you won't be able to tell what the tone's really like through a 5150.
    I agree that if you're a beginner you might feel that something of very cheap in quality is fine as long as it looks nice, but that price tag is really pushing it.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    I think it's just more than just lack of attention to detail.
    I've heard people on the peavey site say that the guitars are made by one factory only that "specealizes" in making wolfgangs. If that's true then maybe it's time to train some more people. Letting a guitar go with a black paint overspray, or hardware put on backwards is fine. I guess they figured the Americans would correct it. 30 seconds on the assembly line is long enough.
    It does seem that way sometimes, I swear...
    That factory actually makes ALL of our import guitars, and only OUR guitars. Any quality issues that have come up before have always been resolved pretty quickly, so I will expect that these will be as well.

I'm also surprised that a store like Same Ash would even put a guitar with flaws like that, and had a backwards D-tuna up on the wall. You can tell that one went through a rigorous inspection at peavey.
    You might be surprised, but I am not. Pissed would be more the word I would use.
    As far as inspection at Peavey, there is none. They come off the boat, into the warehouse, into the truck, and to the dealer. On import stuff we are generally depending on the dealers somewhat to weed out any defective or damaged products. We at least expect them to LOOK AT THE DAMN THINGS BEFORE THEY HANG THEM ON THE FUCKING WALL!...Dammit Tribb, you made me curse again...
    The only time we would put our hands on those products, is if some kind of major recurring problem comes up, which is almost never. The QA is SUPPOSED to happen at the Korean factory.

All Sam Ash would have to do is pick the phone and we would take back the guitar and either repair it, or reject it back to Koreans. I guess that is too much to ask at some dealers, but Peavey definitely does not want a Peavey guitar with those or any kinds of problems hanging on a dealer's wall.

Thanks to the review. This is the kind of stuff I need to hear, so that it can be addressed. Don't give up on K-Wolf yet...after all, you guys *almost* paid it a couple of compliments in there...

[ July 25, 2002, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: rcrimm ]
    Roger C

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I don't *necessarily* agree that the quality difference is due to it being made in Korea.

My best guess is that there is a lack of guidelines, and/or lack of understanding of guidelines with a new product that is at fault here. Maybe some insufficient training.

These issues may or *MAY NOT* be related to money invested in the plant's workers, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the plant being in Korea.

Daewoo, for instance, is probably going to be scooped up by General Motors. One of the many reasons, and there are a few, is because their quality is absolutely outstanding.

Adherence to guidelines isn't difficult at all when the rules are clear, understood, and are enforced. And of course, the reward has to be sizeable enough to act as reinforcement, and the punishment/penalty contingencies must be sizeable also.

That combination isn't always easy in the United States, but it's an easier deal overseas, where they feel lucky to have good paying jobs, as opposed to feeling *entitled* to them.

[ July 25, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I probably stated that wrong. You're right Majestic, I don't feel that the quality difference is because they're from Korea either.
    I've played some very good instruments that were made in Korea.
    I think it's just attention to detail at this particular plant, or much closer inspection is needed by peavey until some of the more serious bugs are worked out.
    There's no way that these guitars are going to be profitable if the only projected market for them is the learning beginner, and at this point I can't see even a mid level player relying on them.

Like rcrimm says, Sam Ash could have, and should have just made a phone call and I'm sure peavey would have made things right.
    Unfortunately with shipping times and hassles cutting into possible profit sometimes the store doesn't want to wait for another to be delivered, but when someone with an eye for detail like TMCH II picks one it's hard to miss things like that. At least we can see that peavey's paying attention. I'm sure a no. of guitarists that own them or are thinking of owning them will be glad to hear it.
    Thanks Roger.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb:Try any guitar through a 5150 and you'll get tons of gain but you won't be able to tell what the tone's really like through a 5150.

That's neither here nor there, because it's all subjective. My reason being for playing it through a 5150 is simple. It's MY main amp at the moment. While I had no plans to ever buy a KOR Wolf, I'd still play it through my setup.

The reason being is if you were buying a guitar, and you own a crate practice amp, and you played that guitar through a mesa or a 100 watt Marshall Stack, or Fender Twin, and think "Whoa That's bitchin", and then get home to find out that your new guitar doesn't sound quite like it did at the music store when you're runnin in through your little Crate or what have you.

Same goes for amps. Say you own a Squier Strat, or Gremlin(ACK), and your buying a new Mesa Triple Rec. Well you decide to grab a high end PRS or a Les Paul off the shelf, and say again "This just cranks." Only again to find out when you get home, your cussin up a storm.

And no offense to you Tribb, but I think it's almost necessity to match your rig as close as possible when comparing guitars/amps. I'm sure you and I both know that there are plenty of players out there that like/dislike the 5150. One of these days, when I can live somewhere where I wouldn't have to worry about neighbors pissin and moaning, I'll venture into amps a bit more.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No offence taken at all. I agree that when you go to a music store if you can try an instrument out you should try and match it through an amp that's as close to yours as possible.
    That's why I've recommended on a number of occasions, that if you can, take your amp head or amp the the store and try it with the guitar you're seriously thinking of buying.
    I've done that myself many times and even though it's a pain in the ass it's probably the only way to be sure unless the store will let you take the instrument home to try it out.
    I used 5150's for quite a few years till I switched back to marshalls, and what I meant was that when the gain is way up on a 5150 it's nearly impossible to tell what the tone of a guitar is like. Extreme amounts of gain tend to make a pickup sound really saturated and when you plug into a low power or clean system you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
    If you're using a 5150 as your main rig and you're happy with it then more power to ya.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with ya there, and the 5150 is made to be a ballsy or if not full throttle gain amp of course.

I try not to use too much gain on the high gain input, and find that the low gain input yields a more early VH sound than the former.

Along those same lines, I guess you could put it like you wouldn't buy a 2WD Truck if you planned on truckin in alot of four by country. Just like if your intentions are for a particular sound (say high gain), then I wouldn't say it's necessarily useless, but to run it through a Twinnie or somethin to get the true tone. Y'know, hear it for it's intended uses.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!