Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You guys were talking about these a while ago. I've seen pics of them, and I know they are called Greenbacks because the back of the speakers are green, but what models of Marshalls are these? Thanks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 26, 2001 at 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Unchained Wolfie ]
    I am awesome

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh and I just need the older 4x12 cab models. Thanks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Unchained. The speakers you're talking about are the older Marshall Celestion Greenbacks. They were made by Marshall, and then later for Marshall by Rola, also in England till about 74 I believe, when they switched to blackbacks, which are essentially like a greenback but with a bit more mid tone.
    These speakers were made by Rola for a no. of other amp manufacturers as well. I know a no. of guys who have amps from the late 60's and early 70's who've looked in the back of their amps and have been peasantly surprised to find the the Rola Celestion sticker on there without the plastic green or blackback cap. I have one myself like that. It has the rola Celestion sticker on it, and I dated it to early 1973. It was made for a company Arc sound, which made amps at that time and used Rola celestions.
    There's a stamp on the side of the speaker, on one of the metal arms that you can use to date it. The original Greenback and blackback speakers were supposedly rated at 25-30 watts, but realistically can be up as high as 50 watts. I've use 2x12's with my fifty watt head at serious volume with no problem.
    The new Greenback reissues are mostly a dissapointment for those who are used to the sound of the originals. The new ones will have a different stamp code as well as having a warning on the back of the speaker sticker which says, not to be used over 25 watts. The old ones never had that warning. There are other ways of telling but that's one of the most predominant.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Tribb!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Now that is a lot of info. You know a lot my friend [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Friends of mine have been ripped off by not being informed, so to avoid that I try and learn as much as I can.
    And I'm also an impatient little bastard so I'm always experimenting and ripping things apart to try new stuff. Sometimes it works and sometimes I just fuck it up, [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] but luckily most times it works.

[ March 27, 2001 at 06:06 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like to take stuff apart too, but sadly im not very good at it. lol. I mean if I think I could do any serious damage i dont do it, but i put a few nicks in my guitar and things like that. I never tried taking apart my amp, and i dont plan to in the near future, but as I learn more about amps i'll start to do what you guys do, and take it apart and modify the amp to make it sound better, to personal taste, but that won't be for a while. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoa, hold on there. If I've given you the idea that I rip amps apart I apologize.
    While I've ripped many a guitar and pickup apart, and expeimented endlessly on those, when It comes to amps all I mess with are the speakers, pots, and tubes. I leave the mods and serious repairs to professionals. I spent 2 years at Devry for electronics and worked as a tech in the field for 9 years, so I've got a good basic understanding of electronics. I've been a graphic artist for 4 years and hardly even bother with electronics anymore unless it's repair to my own equipment, and never amp circuitry. Working with guitar amplifiers is an art in itself and to be considered good at it you have to spend a lot of time at it. The tech who modded my marshalls has been working and experimenting specifically on marshalls for over 25 years so he's "good" at it. Sometimes when I'm over at his place to shoot the shit, I'll just sit and watch him move and alter things with absolutely no idea of what he's doing or why, but I'm always asking questions and sometimes I actually remember what he tells me..lol. An open high voltage tube amp in the wrong hands is a killing machine. I know that sound overly dramatic but "don't" get in there and mess around unless you really know what you're doing. If you've read my posts, when an amp needs repair I'll always advise you to take it to someone qualified to do do so.
    I'd hate to be the cause of someone trying to alter their amp on their own and getting fried in the process.
    [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ March 28, 2001 at 06:30 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nah I wasnt thinking of doing anything like that. LOL. Thanks for the warning though. What i meant by that post, was change speakers, and pots and stuff, but i dont even know how to that yet so Im not gonna touch them, and I really have absolutely no need to. Thanks for the advice.
    I am awesome

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unchained, ask him to tell what G12 speakers they are. If they're G12's they're very common and not too good. G12 6o's will be more of a vintage sound and a better sounding speaker. G12 30 is even better. If they're green or black backs they'll be G12 25's but judging from the cab they're not greenbacks. It's still probably a good deal as long as it's not a 900 series cab. Avoid that one. If it goes over 250., and they're g12 75's I wouldn't touch it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks again!
    I am awesome

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He says their blackbacks, but I dont know if he knows what he's talking about or not. LOL
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ask him to give you the stamp no.'s and letters off the side of the metal speaker arm, and I'll tell you exactly when they were made. It looks like it could very well be a black back cabinet from the looks of it. I see it didn't meet reserve so he might sell it privately. Don't pay over 450. U.S. for it though, even if it is a blackback cab.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok thanks alot. You really know your stuff dude!! Just curious, how long have you been playing? You seem to know a ton, and I heard you on the guitarist sharing thing we have hear and you are really good!

[ March 30, 2001 at 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Unchained Wolfie ]
    I am awesome