Thread: Kramers

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

04.23.05 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was just at Musicyo.com and the Kramer Strikers look pretty sweet. Do they sound any good? Or are they just junk? They are imports now aren't they? What do you guys think?

[ February 02, 2002 at 02:50 PM: Message edited by: EVH Nut ]</p>
    God Speaks to us through the Bible. If He could play the guitar, he'd play it through Eddie Van Halen.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some people think these guitars are a great value, but I would suggest that you wait for the 5150 reissue, I have a good feeling about it.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.26.05 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had one of these, they are a good value for the money. They are $200 that are as good as Jackson and Ibanez' comparably-equipped Korean axes, which go for about $400. The pickups are junk and will need to be replaced. The licensed Floyd is just OK. These guitars do have Gotoh tuners and the necks are pretty nice.

They're not as good as the old USA Kramers. And WTF is a "5150 Reissue"? There never was a Kramer 5150 model in the first place-- just Eddie's one-off.
    Two glazed donuts and a bottle of anything...TO GO!!! - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BossTone:
    I had one of these, they are a good value for the money. They are $200 that are as good as Jackson and Ibanez' comparably-equipped Korean axes, which go for about $400. The pickups are junk and will need to be replaced. The licensed Floyd is just OK. These guitars do have Gotoh tuners and the necks are pretty nice.

They're not as good as the old USA Kramers. And WTF is a "5150 Reissue"? There never was a Kramer 5150 model in the first place-- just Eddie's one-off.
    It's a guitar that I asked them to build a couple of years ago, they were going to do a Baretta reissue but they were talked into making Eds guitar, I guess they have been flooded with emails requesting it you should see it this year.
    later,
    Rol
    www.rolsguitars.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BossTone:

It's a guitar that I asked them to build a couple of years ago, they were going to do a Baretta reissue but they were talked into making Eds guitar, I guess they have been flooded with emails requesting it you should see it this year.
    later,
    Rol
    www.rolsguitars.com
    </font>[/QUOTE]Didn't they display the prototypes at LAST year's NAMM? Weren't they supposed to be out in '01?

I've traded emails w/ MusicYo about this-- they are planning to use the Duncan JB pickup in this guitar, which IS what the old Barettas came with, and is a very good pickup BUT it's not a Van Halen pickup. I'd much prefer a '59.

Rol, what wood is Ed's 5150 guitar?

Boss
    Two glazed donuts and a bottle of anything...TO GO!!! - DLR

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BossTone:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BossTone:

later,
    Rol
    www.rolsguitars.com
    </font>[/QUOTE]Didn't they display the prototypes at LAST year's NAMM? Weren't they supposed to be out in '01?

I've traded emails w/ MusicYo about this-- they are planning to use the Duncan JB pickup in this guitar, which IS what the old Barettas came with, and is a very good pickup BUT it's not a Van Halen pickup. I'd much prefer a '59.

Rol, what wood is Ed's 5150 guitar?

Boss
    </font>[/QUOTE]The prototypes were of a Baretta reissue, thanks to Rol its no longer going to be a Baretta reissue. Rol convinced them to do a replica of Ed's 5150 Kramer minus the stripes. I'm not sure what pickup they're gonna use in it but with Rol helping them out with specs its probably going to be a Duncan Custom. I saw the prototype Baretta Reissue and I wasn't thrilled with it, I have a feeling with Rols help the 5150 replica will be much better.

[ February 03, 2002 at 11:42 AM: Message edited by: LarryJ ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Save your money and find a nice REAL Kramer from the 80's to buy. I have 3 and I love them all.

Those Music Yo Kramers are very cheaply made, and for almost the same price you can get a used American-made Kramer from the 80's, which is 100X the guitar.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Just my opinions on the Duncan pickups in Kramers...well the older Kramers, the real thing.

I have a Duncan JB in my '83 Pacer and it has a mean tone, closer to Ed's than my other guitars.

I have a Duncan Custom in my '84 Pacer and it has more of "metal" sound to it, the tone is a bit brighter, more like a Wolfie.

My '86 Baretta has a Duncan '59 in it, and actually for me it is the tone I like least, a bit too muddy actually.

All in all, I like the JB the best actually.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had 2 Barettas and a Pacer, all w/ JBs. That is my favorite bridge 'bucker, but I don't think it does VH all that well. Too much midrange, IMO.