Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Hi, everyone! This is my very first post and look forward to sharing thoughts, feelings and inspiration from others who are Van Halen crazies like myself. I look forward to getting to know everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've been playing the guitar ever since I was 12 years old and even though I have a gamut of influences, Eddie Van Halen was single handedly the one that put pure adrenaline in my veins and forever changed the way that I approach and listen to music, let alone playing the guitar.

On that note, I would like to open up a question which deals with Eddie's influence on you and your guitar playing or music listening ability (if there is such a thing). Personally, Eddie's chord voicings and rhythm playing has made the most impact on me. The pure energy that he produces, yet does it all with a smile. Over the years, I can always see Eddie playing his instrument with a grin from one ear to the other. In the end he always reminds me how fun it is play, perform and write music.

So, how did Eddie (or Van Halen in general) change or influence your playing?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

none
    Last Online

03.05.08 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm also new to the board. I started playing 1998 and I didn't appreciate how awesome Eddie is on the guitar until I started playing. I started out with some Led Zeppelin and Metallica. My Dad got sick of hearing the same stuff over and over so he told me that if I learn how to play "Eruption" he would buy me a guitar. Well, I only learned the last half of the song and that was enough to impress my Dad enough to buy me a guitar. My fascination with Van Halen grew enormously after that. After 4 years of playing Van Halen almost exclusively I've learned a lot of his tricks and have incorporated it with my own style of playing. Recently I have been coming up with my own riffs and have written a few of my own songs. My sound is more of a modern rock/metal(not speed metal) mixed with a sort of Van Halen vibe. If it wasn't for Eddie Van Halen's out-of-this-world guitar innovating, I wouldn't have had the inspiration to keep playing the guitar, I would have stopped a long time ago.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to listen to Country music until the balance album came out. I was 12 then and the song I cant stop loving you just was awesome to me. My sister got me the album for my 13th birthday and i was hooked on Rock ever since. I must admit now though I am a Dave or the Grave guy now. My older sister got me all 6 dave albums on viynl for my bday... well they were hers from way back when. She was like if you liked sammy you will love dave and i must say she was right. I have been playing guitar and playing in bands ever since. Eddie is my biggest influence and he is everyones biggest influence wether you knw it or not. Without Eddie we wouldnt have strats with humbuckers in them we wouldnt have alot of other guitar inventions either. We wuldnt have to hand tapping and solos would so suck ass if eddie never came around. He revelutionized the instrument and the way we look at guitar no matter what kind of music you like to play you are probably using something that eddie invented created or changed.
    Dave or the Grave mutha trucka!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been a guitarist for (YIKES!) 24 years. I started playing the guitar the same year that VH1 was released. It would be about three years before Van Halen became a big influence. It was the WACF album and then "Fair Warning" that just hit me gut and spun me all kattywaumpus. As my playing progressed my appriciation for Ed's style grew.

The biggest influence is his rythmn playing. The way he voices chords and cascades riffs is cool and efficiant for guys who are the lone guitarist in their band. His solos are cool in that they draw from his father's clarinet playing and I'll bet you a million bucks that he doesn't even know it.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember a writing assignment in high school English comp class, junior year 1981. The assignment was "What are your goals in Life?" I wrote one thing "To play guitar like Eddie Van Halen".

That pretty much sums up why I never seriously pursued a career in music. As long as I could get the VH type groove in my playing, whether in a bar or a basement, or on the couch, I was (still am) in bliss.

I never really learned whole VH songs, just pieces and flashy parts. But you could definitely hear the influence in my and our band's songs, chord changes, phrasing, and time changes. The vibe was and is the key to Ed's magic for me.

Peace
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Sorry for the delay in response. Being that I graduated from Indiana University, I can say that yesterday was a day of insanity and jubilee!

Anyhow, I wanted to tell everyone that hearing your stories is great. It is so amazing to see how many musical minds have been influenced by Eddie and to what extent. I think most of us that were influenced by Van Halen will find a way to pass it on to the next generations.

Also, I read a magazine somewhere that said Eddie influenced a whole style of music during the 80s. That is hysterical! I didn't pick up the guitar until 1990 and it wasn't until F.U.C.K came out that I went crazy for Van Halen and never turned back. I think Eddie's influence extends far and beyond the late 70's early 80's. Silly media...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I first started playing, I was into Queen, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Clapton, Hendrix etc..
    But then I heard VH and now I don't hear the others the way I used to.

Ed is the most important influence on my playing since Ritchie Blackmore and is practically the only guitarist I listen to and still try to learn licks from.
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shit, Eddie and Randy Rhoads were the two guys who just made me HAVE to learn to play!

I've been playing for about 21 years now, and the one constant about Ed's sound and technique that I've probably been most obsessed with is his absolutely incredible, god-like TONE. Probably the best example of which would be (to me, anyway) right after "Eruption" on VHI when "You Really Got Me" kicks in. Not necessarily my favorite song by the band, but Ed's tone on that one just hits you like a ton of bricks! THAT, to me, is THE "brown sound", and it's simply the best damned electric guitar tone ever committed to record, and the one I'll likely never attain, but will damned sure die trying!

As for Ed's technique, his genius, percussive, groove-oriented rhythm playing is to me, even more impressive than his lead playing. Sure, he's an all-time legendary soloist, but what's a solo without a PERFECT riff like "Unchained", "Ain't talkin' 'bout Love", "Jamie's Cryin'", "Somebody Get me a Doctor", "Aftershock", "Panama", etc., behind it?! If anything, many of his riffs have proved far more challenging and rewarding to learn than most of his solos. I think Guitar Player magazine summed it up best when they said:

"He's an even better songwriter than he is a player, and is the first and last guy since Jimi Hendrix who will ALWAYS look cooler and sound better than you do onstage!"

SBS
    What, me, worry?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The main ways Eddie has influenced me is his playing makes me want to not only improve in my technique and style, but it makes me want to innovative and strive to create something fresh no matter how simple or complicated it is technically to play.