Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Following on from a discussion on the 'EVH Riffs' thread, here's a game for us guitar players. Download the linked MP3 backing track, record your own solo over it, and upload it for the rest of us to hear. Here's the track...

Backing Track - 1MB

About the track:

It's just about a minute long, which I think is plenty, and its a modal groove in E Dorian. It should suit anything from a laid back, bluesy style to an all out shred-fest. Tempo is 120bpm.

Tips:

For less experienced players, scalewise you might want to use E Minor Pentatonic or E Minor Blues. For a more sophisticated colour use E Dorian (E,F#,G,A,B,C#,D) which is the second degree of D Major. Of course, play whatever sounds good to you. The recording is pretty dry, so if you want your guitar to sound 'bedded' in the mix, keep effects down to a slight room reverb.

Rules (only one...)

The only rule for this game should be NO FLAMING. Constructive criticism only! I find this board amongst the friendliest I've ever come across, so I hope you'll keep it that way.

Okay, over to you. Get playing! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ February 10, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Charvel2 ]
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we going for impro or something worked out?
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by sean112:
    Are we going for impro or something worked out?
    IMHO i would say it doesn´t matter... i´ll do some impro i think, lol...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Anything goes, I reckon. Whatever floats yer boat, so to speak. C'mon, somebody, let's get this going! I'm abstaining for the time being... [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK I recorded something with ProTools and the POD on my lunch hour at work. You should have seen the weird looks I got from collegues peering through my door, seeing all the wires, the POD and the guitar spead on the desk. A classic!

Question is, how should I post this sonic catastrophy? I can export the final cut as a Quicktime MP3 I think. But what should I do with it next? Anyone has a server I can upload it to? My knowledge of these things is a bit half-assed... Any help will be welcome.

Cheers,

CC.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can download a recorder capable of dubbing and recording 1 min of audio?
    Please don't say "bearshare's version of..." the last time I did that, I crashed the computer!
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go to www.protools.com. There is a free version of this software. This is the one I've been using for over a year. Even if it's limited in the number of tracks (8) and some features are not accessible, it's a great software for folks who just want to record their music for fun. There's a Mac and a Windows version.
    You need to spend some time with the manual at first but once you get the hang of it you're ready to rock.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    Go to www.protools.com. There is a free version of this software. This is the one I've been using for over a year. Even if it's limited in the number of tracks (8) and some features are not accessible, it's a great software for folks who just want to record their music for fun. There's a Mac and a Windows version.
    You need to spend some time with the manual at first but once you get the hang of it you're ready to rock.
    Thanks dude! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

And when you have an mp3, email it to ericgtr and he will put it up on his server, send you a link, and you can post it here.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice backing track.........got the tab for it....!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Here's mine... I thought the tune had a lot of funk, so I used a cry baby [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Jalepeno

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Good start [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] . Now, who's next?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Here's mine... I thought the tune had a lot of funk, so I used a cry baby [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Jalepeno
    Awesome playing! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great stuff Jalapeno! Smokin'!

Now here Canyon Carver's E Dorian Funky Solo is my first crack at this.
    I recorded it in one take yesterday. I wish I had warmed up a bit so as to be more in the groove.
    I'll try to redo it tonight and post another version.
    In the meantime, please give your real opinion; I'm very open to suggestions and criticism as it's the only we can get better and eventually have more fun.

Cheers.

BTW, big kudos to Charvel2 for hosting my MP3. Thanks, bro!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    Great stuff Jalapeno! Smokin'!

Now here Canyon Carver's E Dorian Funky Solo is my first crack at this.
    I recorded it in one take yesterday. I wish I had warmed up a bit so as to be more in the groove.
    I'll try to redo it tonight and post another version.
    In the meantime, please give your real opinion; I'm very open to suggestions and criticism as it's the only we can get better and eventually have more fun.

Cheers.

BTW, big kudos to Charvel2 for hosting my MP3. Thanks, bro!
    sure? lol, no i think you´re right, you only can get better with some criticism, and i´ll hope you do the same with me and everyone that posts his stuff, be honest dude!

BTW: i have tried that a few weeks ago, but then get bashed and flamed lol, so hopefully nobody gets pissed off from my opinion!

ok, let´s get to you

hmm, the intro, or lets say the first 10 to 20 seconds you sound kinda like jeff beck, it sounds really cool BUT, after that it gets a little bit or kinda boring... you just noodled these blues scales, or 2 finger scales, without any feel... IMHO i would say you should work with more bendings and more fingervibrato, or wammybar... and learn some more scale modes to improvise with, but just like i said, this is just my opinion, some guys just like to play blues-bars, and some guys like it to hear some more stuff you know? IMHO the vibrato is really important, you should work on it just like i should lol, but basically it sounds cool, you just need some finetuning i think, some more stuff to make your playing more interestening...

now, i will post my stuff on the weekend, and i hope you will be as honest as i was...

EDIT:

i forgot: it doesn´t matter how fast you are, what I really enjoy is when someone can play with feeling, most players are really fast, but they never learnt how to play with feeling...

[ February 12, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: gravedigger ]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander