Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I have a question. I'm about to order my neck from Warmoth. Should I go with the Indian Rosewood, or the Brazilian Rosewood. The neck wood will be birdseye maple.

Tribb, you remember the guitar I'm getting? The VIP2 body with the Seth Lover picks? Well, I have my grover tuners on my desk, and the body should arrive in a couple of weeks. I'm about to order the neck. What wood would you recommend?

Also, I'm holding you personally responsible if this guitar sounds like crap.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:
    Tribb,Also, I'm holding you personally responsible if this guitar sounds like crap.
    hehe, in that case, go for a laminent body, and a graphite neck!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Laminate body?? Hell no. I say you get the plexglass body, and solid aluminum neck.
    Then you won't be able to pick the fuckin thing up, but it won't matter cause it'll sound like shit anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, I can't remember what you were going to use for body wood. Was it mahogany, with a maple top?
    Brazilian rosewood is much harder than indian and isn't as warm sounding. Brazilian is what they made the early Les Paul fingerboards out of, and it's what gives them that bright pingy kind of tone.
    Indian rosewood is warmer, and probably the best for what you want. If it's a mahogany body with SL's, maple or rosewood sounds good. Brazilian will sound good too, just have more top end, and be brighter sounding. If it's a real thin brazilian fingerboard, almost like a veneer then it won't make as much difference cause the maple will brighten it anyway.
    Is it gonna be a slab board finger board?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

Mahogany body, with a maple top. SL pickups in the neck and bridge. I'm not understanding what you mean with your last question there on the fret board.

But you think that the maple will brighten it up, then I'll probably stick with the Indian. I don't want this guitar to be as bright as my wolfgang. I'm not liking that sound. I want something deeper, warmer, like a les paul. I just can't stand the way a les paul plays. The heel is killing me.

I guess I'm just trying to get the best sound for my money. This guitar about a 1/3 of the price of a new les paul and about the same with a new PRS. I like the sound of a PRS, but I'm not paying that much money for it, especially with their heel from hell.

Is it possible to find the perfect guitar? I think not, but with warmoth, at least I can get anything I want.

BTW, I have Grover tuners sitting on my desk. No guitar, no neck, but at least I have the tuners. LOL.

I'm getting excited, the wait is killing me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok bud, that makes sense. I think you should probably go with the rosewood as well.
    You can ask them to use a slab wood finger board.
    If you look at a guitar neck with a rosewood board, sight down the fingerboard like a gun sight, looking from the base of the neck toward the headstock. If it's a rosewood board, and it's a slab board, then you'll notice that the base of the rosewood board where it meets the maple will be flat, and just the top of the rosewood will be radiused, or rounded. That's how they built the early 60's strats before they went to a veneer rosewood, where if you sight down the neck it looks like the the whole rosewood board, base and top is curved to match the maple beneath. What they did was carve the maple to the right radius and glue the rosewood on to get it conformed to the pre radiused maple. I don't know the logic behind it except to save money becuase they wouldn't have to use as much rosewood, or maybe it was just easier than carving or shaping a slab of rosewood. All the relic strats they're making have gone back to a slab rosewood board again.
    Either way, ask Warmoth to use a slab board rosewood fingerboard. It might, or might not cost you a few dollars extra, but it's worth it. It might be something they already do anyway, but you should check.
    As a matter of fact, while I was typing this I went to the warmoth site, and if you click on "necks", and then click on "fingerboard radius"
    The picture that comes up is one with a slab board fingerboard, easy to see. That could be how they make them anyway, but it's good to double check.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:

I guess I'm just trying to get the best sound for my money. This guitar about a 1/3 of the price of a new les paul and about the same with a new PRS. I like the sound of a PRS, but I'm not paying that much money for it, especially with their heel from hell.

Not to rub it in, but I have a 1992 PRS CE24, which is a bolt on neck, but it still doesn't have a heel. You can reach the 24th fret with ease. Why on God's green Earth did the folks at PRS screw up the best designed heel ever made?

BTW, not sure what they run now, but the list on my CE in 1992 was $1584 (I still have the tag) and I actually prefer the feel and tone of it over the through-body neck models.

[ April 05, 2002 at 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Prages ]</p>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

Originally posted by Prages:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by xaminer:

Not to rub it in, but I have a 1992 PRS CE24, which is a bolt on neck, but it still doesn't have a heel. You can reach the 24th fret with ease. Why on God's green Earth did the folks at PRS screw up the best designed heel ever made?

BTW, not sure what they run now, but the list on my CE in 1992 was $1584 (I still have the tag) and I actually prefer the feel and tone of it over the through-body neck models.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I haven't run across that price yet. But, I think they started the heel thing in 95. I can't find any pre-95 PRS's around. I also like the feel of the wolfgang neck, and that's a plus for me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The blue book value of the CE 24, which was discontinued in 1999, is 1100. in mint condition.
    Once you get a couple of dings, dents, or scratches in it the price drops considerably to about 825. in 90% excellent condition.