Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dudes;
    many times on this forum,I have heard the term"workhorse guitar".What do you guys consider a workhorse guitar?what makes up a workhorse guitar?I think I would like to have something like this [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh,by the way GO BUCKS 14-0 National Champs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

although i've never used the term, i take it as a guitar that is very versatile and can do many things, make many cool sounds, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What's a workhorse guitar? My guitar [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The term is used to describe a guitar that does what you want it to every time you pick it up. That's to say if something is wrong with your playing it's not the fault of your guitar. For example, my guitar sounds and plays the same every time I pick it up. The neck stays straight, the tuning is always on, and the electronics don't fuck up.

An example of a guitar that's not a workhorse would be one that constantly has tuning problems, and requires a lot of maintenance.

It’s kind of like some older Marshalls. I had a JCM 800 for years and that sucker would sound different every time I turned it on. We’d play a set, go for a break and when I came back for the next set it would sound different, not a workhorse.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Homeunit nailed it. Drunk or not, you pick up the guitar and it feels and plays like gold. Now it may look like shit, and there is a very good chance that it does, but playability is balls to the wall everytime [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exactly what Homeunit said is what I think when I say workhorse guitar, I used that term to describe my new stuff I'm doing.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    What's a workhorse guitar? My guitar [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The term is used to describe a guitar that does what you want it to every time you pick it up. That's to say if something is wrong with your playing it's not the fault of your guitar. For example, my guitar sounds and plays the same every time I pick it up. The neck stays straight, the tuning is always on, and the electronics don't fuck up.

An example of a guitar that's not a workhorse would be one that constantly has tuning problems, and requires a lot of maintenance.

It’s kind of like some older Marshalls. I had a JCM 800 for years and that sucker would sound different every time I turned it on. We’d play a set, go for a break and when I came back for the next set it would sound different, not a workhorse.
    Don't rub it in you bastardo. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

HomeUnit and el_jalepeno described it perfectly though.
    A workhorse will go from the start of the gig to the end, night after night, week after week, without being temperamental.

[ January 10, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My Iceman has been my workhorse for twentyfour years. It has earned the title for it's dependability and versitility. I can get a variety of tones from it, mimicing other guitars so at a studio gig I'd only need one guitar, saving me space and tune-up time. The strings change-out fast and stay in tune. It's survived banging on things, beer spills and other disasters that come with live performance.

Even while I had my Kramer, it stood backup and came in handy on many occations.

It was a mid-priced guitar at the time and that's why I bought it. I didn't have to worry about it being swiped (as much) and I could upgrade it to my specs without ruining it.

That's what I mean by "workhorse".
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's the guitar you can rely on because it's reliable!
    I usually refer to the guitars I have that are NOT reliable as 'Boat-oars'.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by sean112:
    It's the guitar you can rely on because it's reliable!
    I usually refer to the guitars I have that are NOT reliable as 'Boat-oars'.
    I had a guitar like that. A Seville Flying -V. The damned thing never stayed in tune. I bought it for something like $250 so I wasn't all that bent out of shape. It became my Frankenstein. I practiced taking off and attaching pickups and doing wiring. I took off and re-applied the tuning pegs. Then I stripped her and broke out the masking tape and the spray paint and "Eddified" it. If I'd had access to a router I'd have put a tremelo on it. I kept it tuned and ready to go for emergancies and it came to every gig. Face it, if you have three or for guitars on stands in front of your amp you must be cool or something. I did use it to play "Cocaine", which came at the end of the second set so I could just unplug it and put it down and go get a brew with nobody being the wiser.

[ January 11, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I went to a Jennifer Batten clinic(easily one of the most amamzing players I've seen) I noticed she was no longer using Ibanez guitars and asked her why she switched.
    She told me that no matter what model Ibanez she used it would always come off a tour with the neck bowed like a banana, and had numerous intonation problems along the way, regardless of how well she took care of it.
    Those were NOT workhorses.

Washburn made a guitar for her that she took around the world with Michael Jackson, and then with Jeff Beck, and she continues to use without any problems.
    Now she endorses the Washburn Jennifer Batten model. JB-100
    Although it doesn't say in the description, her pickups are SD JB Juniors.
    That IS a workhorse.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Axxman300:
    My Iceman has been my workhorse for twentyfour years. It has earned the title for it's dependability and versitility. I can get a variety of tones from it, mimicing other guitars so at a studio gig I'd only need one guitar, saving me space and tune-up time. The strings change-out fast and stay in tune. It's survived banging on things, beer spills and other disasters that come with live performance."
    Our other guitarist also has a sweet, top-of-the-line 70's Iceman. Very cool and very underrated axe. Truthfully, I like it even better than his 'Paul.

I've had a few "workhorse" axes over the years; selling my original 'horse is one of my greatest regrets. My '69 creme Gibson V was my very first guitar and it sounded & played great every time I picked it up. What the hell was I thinking?!

Anyway, after that one I got my '77 Dean ML, which was the uber-'horse until I retired it a couple of years ago when I bought my Soloist. I pretty much split my time these days between the Soloist and my new Strat, but the Jackson is the real 'horse of the bunch these days. Stays in tune no matter what, sounds incredible, plays even better and looks even better still! I'm about to have some serious and much-needed work done on the Dean, though, I love that guitar too much to let it sit in the case in dire need of a fret job any longer. I'm sorta kicking around the notion of having it re-finished, too, although I know that's considered to be a taboo with a vintage instrument. I'm never going to sell it, though, so what the hell? Maybe a nice Gibson-esque heritage cherry finish over the mahogany, whattaya think?

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know what you mean about those older Gibson V's SBS.
    Years ago I had a 63 Korina V that I took everywhere.
    I sold my 66 strat(got fucked on that deal too) when I bought the V.
    I had it for about 2 years and it got ripped off.
    Stupidly, I never bothered copying down the serial no.
    I found out about 10 years later that it was done by someone I considered a friend.
    By then it was too late to do anything. I even tracked down the guitar eventually, but it had changed hands a few times and there was nothing I could legally do to get it back.

Sorry to go off topic, but your comment about it playing and sounding great every time it was picked up sure rang true.
    I went back to strats, which are still my favorite guitars today, but there's always one from your past that always seems to hold a special kind of memory.
    I like to think I'm a lot smarter and a lot more careful now.