Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just watching VH Video Hits and I noticed that on the first video "Don't Tell Me" Eddie plays a Music Man, then on "Not Enough" he play a Wolfgang, then on "Can't Stop Loving You" he plays a Music Man again.

Then during the Balance Toronto Pay-Per-View, he plays a Music Man (I think with the EB Music Man Logo sanded off - why???).

Then after they came back from the Balance Tour on "Human's Being" he plays a Wolfgang.

***Ok, what I find strange is that on "Not Enough" he plays a Wolfgang because you figure he would play one and not the other on all videos due to his contracts instead of switching back and fourth between the two. ***

If I could ask Eddie one question about guitars, I'd say Eddie why did you increase the neck width on the Wolfgang by half an inch?

Later,
    Dan

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just watchin the Not Enough video too, but on Launch, and I noticed that. I think it's cause by the time they shot that, he was endorsing Peavey. But I wondered that too.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by austxdan:
    I was just watching VH Video Hits and I noticed that on the first video "Don't Tell Me" Eddie plays a Music Man, then on "Not Enough" he play a Wolfgang, then on "Can't Stop Loving You" he plays a Music Man again.

Then during the Balance Toronto Pay-Per-View, he plays a Music Man (I think with the EB Music Man Logo sanded off - why???).

Then after they came back from the Balance Tour on "Human's Being" he plays a Wolfgang.

***Ok, what I find strange is that on "Not Enough" he plays a Wolfgang because you figure he would play one and not the other on all videos due to his contracts instead of switching back and fourth between the two. ***

If I could ask Eddie one question about guitars, I'd say Eddie why did you increase the neck width on the Wolfgang by half an inch?

Later,
    Dan
    half an inch ??? I think you are mistaken there, I know they increased the MM by 1\32" when he left
    (something they say they were going to do anyway)
    I would guess he copied the MM neck increase because the e string tended to slip off if you werent carefull on the original EVH MM's and I also think he changed anything he could (without being too drastic) just to make it different from the MM. i.e archtop when he suposedly hated archtops, tone knob when he hated tone knobs etc etc.
    my 2 cents
    Rol.

[ January 14, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: rolsguitars ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the dont tell me video was shot around october of 1994, cant stop loving you was probably shot around january or febuary of 1995. the not enough video wasnt on mtv till late summer so that probably wasnt shot during may or june of 1995. during that time he broke his deal with mm. the guitar in the not enough video is a very early prototype wolfgang...by the late summer he was using the prototypes on the end leg of the balance tour. he had the mm headstock logo taped off because he wasnt endorsing mm anymore but he hadnt finalized his design on the wolfgang yet.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

wasn't he already using wolfgang's on the balance tour a bit too?

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, he was in the transition period on the balance tour.
    From what I understand Ed's personal guitars didn't have his signatures becuase he didn't want them to.
    The first batch he had were prototypes and he got them before the signature decals were put on.
    I think a half inch is stretching it a bit too.
    I don't have a wolf anymore to compare my EVH to, and a wolf is definitely a bigger neck, but that seems a bit too big.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick and Tribb have it about right as I remember it. It was a transition period, and Ed didn't start using the Wolf prototypes until late during the Balance tour.

I don't know from the MM EVH, I have only played on of those and that was years ago. The Wolfgang neck is 1.625" at the topnut. I am sure that the EVH must be wider than 1.125". I would say that 1/32" wider sounds about right.

The tone knob was added at Peavey's request, for marketing reasons. The tone knob and neck pickup on Ed's guitars usually isn't even hooked up, at least on the ones I have seen.
    Roger C

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing!
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:46 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

IIRC, you can just look at the spring break opening night show Mtv did with Jon Stewart, and the PPV show both from the Balance tour to see the transition. He doesn't use the Peavey at all opening night, but he brought out a red one on the PPV show for a song or two.