Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, yeah... I know I've pimped the dude before, but Andy Timmons' first release on Steve Vai's Favored Nations label was released today, "That was Then, This is Now", a jaw-dropping collection of tunes from his first two independent "Ear-Xtacy" releases, along with five brand new tracks that should finally catapult this guy where he belongs, straight to the top of the guitar world with guys like Vai, Satch & Eric Johnson... yes kids... he's THAT good!

Don't believe me? Steve Vai sums him up rather nicely..."Tone, Control, and sheer beauty in an extraordinary rock capacity. He is truly one of the best virtuosos of rock guitar alive". If you haven't checked this cat out yet, you won't believe how badly you're missing out... superhuman technique that ALWAYS serves the song first, SICK versatility, HUGE tone, great sense of melody and groove, the guy is the total package, one of the most incredible musicians I've ever seen in person, and trust me, I've seen just about everybody!

The coolest thing is that you can now pick it up in any major music store... check it out, you WON'T be disappointed!

You're welcome!

SBS
    (Official Andy Timmons pimp of VHForums.com)

P.S. No, I'm not his brother or agent, just a huge fan of the greatest guitarist you've never heard of, until you hear him and he becomes one of the greatest you've ever heard, that is!
    What, me, worry?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay... you're on. The next time I'm in Borders I'll hunt this one down. Thanks for the heads up.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! Reminds me a bit of Vai's playing; very cool!

Here's his site if your interested:

Andy Timmons

There's some samples there to check out, too.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The really cool thing about the dude is his amazing versatility, in addition to a series of brilliant, mostly-instrumental rock records, the dude's also done one of the best texas blues records I've heard since Stevie was alive with his "Pawn Kings" project, he can effortlessly switch gears from shred-mode to totally tasteful, in-the-pocket blues, or a very cool, Beatle-esque pop on his "Orange Swirl" record (think "Rubber Soul" meets Tom Petty), killer fusion work with Simon Phillips, and I've even seen the guy trade double-stops live jammin' with Ray Flacke like he was born to it. Plus, I've had the opportunity to hang with the dude and party a bit (some friends & I took him out on the town after a clinic he did in Jville with Shawn Lane several years ago, he returned the favor a couple of years later by inviting us to a VIP party with him after a Thoroughbred Music Guitar Show with Ace Frehley, Will Lee, Anton Fig, Steve Morse, Brad Gillis & Jeff Watson, Mike Stern and several other monster players), and he's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, I'm just happy to see the guy starting to get the props he deserves.

I'm also really happy to see how well Favored Nations is doing as a label, they've also added Eric Johnson to their stable, and they've pretty much become THE label for true creativity and artistry in guitar music now. Steve Vai really deserves some massive credit for using his own success and celebrity to create a viable commercial forum for those artists who would rather create than conform.

Anyway, peace & thanks for checkin' my boy out... pick up one of his cds, I'd recommend either the new one "That was Then, This is Now" or his last studio record, "The Spoken and the Unspoken", to really get a full idea of what the dude's all about!

Layt...

SBS

[ May 08, 2002 at 01:04 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just been stuck on him since Danger Danger came out,he was the best part of their "hair band" type of music,really versatile.
    Guitar player,extrordinaire(or at least I like to think)<br /><br />"....man,this is Van Halen,and i'm the singer." Sammy-1987<br /><br /><a href="http://www.guitartabs.cc/" target="_blank">www.guitartabs.cc/</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some excellent stuff on there. He's got a strong Vai influence with his own kind of twist to it.
    A very talented guy.
    SBS, do you know what kind of gear he uses?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Some excellent stuff on there. He's got a strong Vai influence with his own kind of twist to it.
    A very talented guy.
    SBS, do you know what kind of gear he uses?
    He's switched gear numerous times over the years, from Kramers & ADA rack rigs back in the late 80s/early 90s, to 'reping for Ibanez & Mesa Boogie (Dual Rectos & Mavericks), to his current setup which pretty much features his own custom model Ibanez & Laney amps (VH100R heads). I think he still uses his Mesa Maverick for some of the bluesier tones though, and a vintage AC-30 for his clean stuff.

He's always had consistently huge tone, though, no matter what he's played through. Like all top-shelf players, he proves that tone resides 90% in the hands of the musician.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow, i thought i was the only who knows about andy timmons.

but yeah, i've heard a handful of his stuff, and i was thoroughly impressed. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    i agree with everything SBS said. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He's always had consistently huge tone, though, no matter what he's played through. Like all top-shelf players, he proves that tone resides 90% in the hands of the musician.
    No argument there. The guy's got some excellent phrasing too, which sure doesn't hurt.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool! You picked up on that! Dude's phrasing is VERY cool, IMO... kinda different, like Vai's, but in a more groove-oriented context, not unlike Satch. You can see some of his influences, but like most really smokin' players, he manages to assert his own personality into the mix and take it into a different direction.

The first time I ever saw the guy play was at a double-bill clinic with Shawn Lane. At the time, all pretty much anyone knew about him was that he was the guy from Danger Danger, and believe me... none of the 30 or so people who were there expected him to be able to hang with a super-shredder like Lane. By the end of the evening, EVERYONE knew better, the guy stood on stage and cut heads with Shawn, matching his most terrifying chops in what had to have been one of the most insane, yet surprisingly musical shred-fests ever. (I've got some great pics of this, btw...) I've been lucky enough to catch the guy several times since, and what's really amazed me the most is his damned freakish diversity... I've seen the guy jam with everyone from Ray Flacke, Jon Jorgenson, Steve Morse, Ace Frehley, John Petrucci and Shawn Lane (GOD do I miss those Thoroughbred Guitar Shows!), and the guy is just NEVER lost, in any style. It kinda pisses ya off, really! LOL

Anyway, you might also appreciate some of his different facets on the smokin' Texas Blues Pawn Kings record and the Beatle-esque pop vibe of Orange Swirl, check it out, and if you ever have the chance to catch him live, don't miss it!

Hopefully, with a godsend of a label like Favored Nations opening some doors, guys with this much talent won't be as hard to find out about in the future.

Layt...

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what the chances are of seeing him in Canada are, but if he shows up here I'll definitely make a point of seeing him.
    Strange you mention Shawn Lane.
    My buddy was a session player working on an album in Nashville a no. of years ago.
    He didn't know who Shawn Lane was although he'd heard of him.
    There was a guy in the building who always seemed to be just hanging around. very unassunming, he just sat and watched, and didn't say much.
    My friend honestly thought he was a janitor cause he was always there, but never played.
    He was passing one of the empty studios one day and heard this incredible playing coming out. Just someone flying on a guitar. I guess I don't have to tell you who it was. My buddy opened the door and when he saw Shawn standing there his jaw almost hit the floor.
    Shawn invited him to a club that he was going to be jamming at and my friend's been a big fan of his ever since.
    That must have been a hell of a concert for you to see both these guys going at it.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, the deal was that it was a double clinic. Andy came on first, facing the folded arms and "Yeah, right!" looks of doubtful Shawn Lane disciples. That lasted roughly two minutes into his first song, when jaws started hitting the floor. Lane came on after, and was totally incredible. After Shawn's solo clinic, Andy came back out, and the two of them jammed for about half an hour. Needless to say, it was quite impressive. What really blew me away the most about Shawn was that before he went on, they had this beat to shit and back upright piano in the corner. The guy just sat down without a word at it and friggin' blew the keys off of it with some Franz Liszt piece, the guy's actually an even better pianist than he is a guitarist, and believe me... that's saying something!

My two buds and I hung out with them and talked for about an hour after the show while we helped them tear down and load out (for some reason, the asshole who owned the music store only left one doofus of an employee there to help them afterwards), and both Andy and Shawn were completely cool, ego-free guys. Hell, I swear on my mother's life this is the truth... Shawn Lane even gave us his home phone # and told us to look him up if we were ever in Atlanta! Of course, I've been far too big a chickenshit to actually DO it, and he's probably moved by now anyway, but that should tell you how cool he is! Andy's flight didn't leave until the next day, and he wanted to go out and do something, so we gathered our girlfriends (of course, they were both HUGE Danger Danger fans, and insisted on coming! LOL) and took Andy out to Jax Beach to grub & hang with a buddy's band that was playing out at Pier 7. Andy even sat in and jammed on some old KISS tunes, pretty fuckin' cool!

Anyway, it was one of the cooler musical experiences I've had, although those Thoroughbred Shows in Tampa were AWESOME, until Sam Ash bought them out and pulled the plug... assholes! (seeing Steve Morse and Vinnie Moore there trading off on an extended version of "Freeway Jam" was probably the second sickest guitar duel I've ever witnessed, along with the Hellecasters live.)

I think Andy's done some shows in Canada, I'm almost positive he has with his semi-regular side gig with Simon Phillips, and even though you'd never hear him really open up much, he's also got a semi-regular sideman gig with Olivia Newton John, believe it or not, as well as some previous G3 special guest appearances.

Like I said, pick up a full cd if you haven't yet, there's an awful lot of cool subtle shit going on that you really can't pick up on in a clip, and you obviously know your shit and appreciate true talent, so trust me... you'll dig it!

Layt...

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Damn, Winmx and Morpheus BOTH have NOTHING on the guy. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] All I could find with his name on it was from a guitar battle cd with pitrelli, morse, and beach. I got a couple from it that were pretty good. Never thought I would like purple rain that much. I have no idea which one was him though.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Ok, I found one called electric gypsy. Very cool. I may make a run to the music store sometime to find a lil' mo.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    Ok, I found one called electric gypsy. Very cool. I may make a run to the music store sometime to find a lil' mo.
    Great tune... obviously, it's his personal tribute to Jimi, and a pretty damn good one at that. You should hear his version of "Little Wing" on the "Pawn Kings" cd... it's freakin' incredible! Somewhere Jimi & Stevie are both tipping their plumed hats to him on that one!

Andy did have some mp3s on his website, but they just overhauled the whole site last week, and they're still not back up.

You can go to Favored Nation's artist page, click on Andy Timmons, then music, and download samples of two of the new tunes on his new cd though, just for a taste...

Artists Page

SBS

[ May 13, 2002 at 10:47 AM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?