Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know what should and shouldn't be touching the shielding paint in a rear-routed control cavity(2 vol pots, 1 switch). Also, should the output jack plate(football shaped) be touching the output jack cavity shielding paint? Coulda sworn I saw Erlewine have the foil touching the output jack plate on a video one time. But wouldn't that give the jack plate two paths to ground(1 thru the shielding, 1 thru the wire from the back of the pot), making a ground loop? Ugh, this stuff is confusing. I'm gunna go stick my head in the freezer for a while.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by the breadman:
    Does anyone know what should and shouldn't be touching the shielding paint in a rear-routed control cavity(2 vol pots, 1 switch). Also, should the output jack plate(football shaped) be touching the output jack cavity shielding paint? Coulda sworn I saw Erlewine have the foil touching the output jack plate on a video one time. But wouldn't that give the jack plate two paths to ground(1 thru the shielding, 1 thru the wire from the back of the pot), making a ground loop? Ugh, this stuff is confusing. I'm gunna go stick my head in the freezer for a while.
    Grasp the pebble, young Grasshopper...
    http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-3789/index.html
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After you take your head out of the freezer, you can set up your guitar so the only thing(s) touching the sheilding paint are parts of the pot and jackplate chasis that are directly grounded to each other. Don't let any of the legs on the pot or the jackplate touch, whether it's a grounding leg or not. The grounding legs on the pots should be soldered to the pot chasis, but it's not necessary to do this on the jack plate or toggle switch. Don't use the sheilding paint as a ground source either, even though it is conductive.
    There's also no reason to apply sheilding paint to the jack plate cavity. If you're gonna use a sheild in there it's fine for the jack plate to touch. It doesn't loop the ground to the hot as long as the hot makes no contact.
    Again, there's no reason for sheilding the jack plate cavity.
    You want the pots and toggle switch chasis to make good contact with the sheilding. It makes for a better ground with one to the other, and better noise sheilding.
    Sheilding foil is actually better for sheilding and sometimes easier to apply if the body wood is rough or porous. Sheilding paint may have a tendency to sink into the wood and you may need numerous coats to do it right. One coat usually isn't enough on bare wood unless it's almost like a gel. With sheilding foil you can get the self stick type, or use contact cement on the non self stick (get self stick if you can).
    Cut it to approximate size, fit it into the cavity and then use an exacto knife to cut around the edges for a clean fit. For the pot holes you just push the pots through and trim away the excess. It conducts better and sheilds better, and is easier to use than paint.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the help guys!