Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen several people make posts that claim that 5150 amps "suck". However, most of them have never taken the time to post exactly what "sucks" about them (in detail).

Please enlighten me. I'm looking to buy one, but don't want to buy a crappy amp, IF that's what it really is.

Thanks.
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well as the owner of a 5150 Combo amp, I'm not going to say it 'sucks.' However, I will say that there are several other amps out there that I'd much rather have.

For me, the 5150's are noisy and you can't really get a good variety of sounds out of it. It took me a good while, but I finally tweeked out a good
    'rock' sound out of it that I'm happy with but that's about it.

I recently tried out the Peavey Triple XXX and was
    VERY impressed with the different sounds I got out of that amp.

Maybe it's because I've grown tired of the 5150.
    I've gone back to mainly using my 11 year old Ampeg AX-70. I hate to say it, but my $400 Ampeg
    has more to offer sound wise than the 5150. However the 5150 ROCKS in loud situations. If your looking for a straight on rock sound, the 5150 is the amp for you. I don't think the 5150 sucks, but there are other good amps out there to try. Who knows, maybe next week I'll be in love with my Combo.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

I have a 5150, and for me and my purposes it works great. Granted the tone is not warm as some other amps (Mesas, or OLD Marshalls), but for the price, you can't beat it IMO. You don't have to crank the shit out of it to get get good gain, but it does take some tweaking to warm the tone up a bit. Now of course my band plays out and I want to be loud, and it does that just fine too.

Yes it can be noisy, and maybe it's not as refined as more expensive amps, but it kind of depends on your purpose and personal taste as to whether it will work for you. Personally I'd take a 5150 over a NEW Marshall head any day.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brett:
    Personally I'd take a 5150 over a NEW Marshall head any day.<hr></blockquote>

I agree!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I used to have a 5150 for years, and I'm one of the guys that don't care for them.

The problem with them is they have this saturated buzzy tone that stinks IMO. The only way to offset that buzz was to crank the fuck out of it, which dosn't work to well in a club. The lead channel can produce a good rythme tone, but the rythme channel is useless IMO.

The only way I made mine work for me was to use the rythme channel as a clean channel, which it dosn't do very well, and use the lead channel with my gain down to 2 or so for my main sound. For leads I used a tube screamer. This kind of defeats the purpose of a multi-channel amp to me.

I found that they only really do 1 thing well, nothing else, it was not vesitile at all, and that's what I need.

Thison the other hand rules!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey trennasol. Are you the same trennasol that's on the peavey site?

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah the one and the same. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the hell out of my 5150 Combo, but sometimes I need sounds out of the amp that I just can't get. But that's my fault, cause I knew what the amp would do and not do before I bought it. But I agree with the above posts about taking the 5150 over the new Marshall's any day of the week.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, it's good to see you over here at the links.
    I used to go on there occasionally and remember reading a little story about what you did to your EBMM EVH before you offed it.
    What you did to that guitar was a crime.
    As far as the 5150's go, I used a half stack and combo for years, and was always fighting to get anything but a high gain sound. In the clean channel they sound really weak and flat, and in the high gain channel you have to push them hard to get them to clean up at all.
    I used a celestion cab with my 5150 head, and that helped a bit. Those sheffields are very sterile sounding. If you don't believe me try putting any marshall tube head through a sheffield cab and have a listen. The last straw came when we were recording. I had to keep my volume to about 1 1/2 in the studio cause it was a live recording, and the amp was mic'd. It sounded like a swarm of bees. I finally got rid of them both, and went back to marshalls. I think what people feel about marshalls is that they like the tone, but there's not enough gain. I eventually picked up a 70's head that was modded for more gain than I need, and usually turn it back, but even at high gain it's way smoother and better difined than a 5150.
    I agree about the new marshalls, when you guys say they're definitely lacking, but not the 70's heads, or the 800 series.
    If you have a 70's head, or an 800, try this.
    If you can get hold of an old DOD overdrive/250 pedal try pushing the preamp with it. It'll increase your gain by naturally overdriving the preamp without adding more distortion than the preamp itself will provide.
    Works good on some of the lower gain peavey tube amps, and fender tube amps too. Another method which works well too is to use an Ibanez TS-9 pedal with or without the 808 mod, which is easier to find. First turn up what ever gain you have on the amp, then turn the drive on the pedal right down,and set the tone to about the 1/2 way point. You can always adjust that after. Then use the level control only to overdrive the preamp. That doesn't color your sound, but it'll drive the amp harder with out hurting it. You can always add a bit of drive if you'd like more distortion, but since we're talking about gain you can leave it right down.
    This is only something you should do with tube amps, as solid state amps have completely different characteristics, and the overdrive is based on a lower signal coming in. Pushing the preamp on a solid state amp with a higher input voltage not only sounds crappy, but could damage it as well.

[ December 21, 2001 at 06:49 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i like what ive heard from the 5150s. but i like high gain with the music im playing. imo its hard to ask an amp to be everything to everyone. thats why theres so many differnt amps. i think you should have differnt amps for differnt applications. i like my triumph 60s but i admit the clean channel isnt very good and it needs some eq to make it sparkle ,the gain channel fits what i need right now. but instead of thinking ill get rid of them and get a mesa or old marshall ,id like to add them to my amp collection.(and i will eventually by summer).i think eddie gets a great sound out of his 5150s.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 5150 head & cab, I LOVE mine! It's the exact sound I've been trying for years to dial up! For the record, I've always HATED Marshall! I had the 5150 combo, but sold it because it was just too much amp for what I needed it for (mostly living room jamming), so I got a Bandit Transtube 112... GREAT AMP! I've used it for several small club gigs & it hasnt dissapointed!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.27.06 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ilike my 5150. I think one problem is alot of people turn the gain up way tooooooo far, i used to be guilty of this. I use mine is this way. For the rhythm channel, I got a pretty good tone(for me anyways)that cuts and is realy clean and defined setting it this way. Rhy pre- 6 bright and crunch both on, Lows 5.5, mids 7 highs 7, presence 7, resonance7.5 Depending on how I feel, I usually keep the post gains at 2.5, if I wanna play oud just turn it up
    the lead tone is almost the same but the pre gain is set at 7. i keep the eq and everything the same(not by choice) but i noticed that the lead channel seems to have a pretty good low and midrange boost to it. I dunno I like this sound alot, but I am into a more warm midrange sound. Probably because I am a big petrucci fan..lol. I just found with these settings the amp seems to be alot quieter, good pickups help too. I got a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge and a dimarzio air norton in the neck. Enough of my yack. Just play around with it and see what you like, you can get some really great sounds out of it, except for the clean sounds, for that live I just turn the volume knob down like ed, in the studio I use a line6 pod for clean sounds
    ...and on the seventh day, god created Eddie! <br /><br /><a href="http://www.rosetears.com" target="_blank">http://www.rosetears.com</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you guys tried the Marshall Triple Super Lead? I really like this "new" Marshall, because it seemed to be MUCH warmer than their other newer amps.

Now about the 5150...I agree with everyone to some degree in this debate. It is definately an amp that was made to be cranked wide ass open. Remember, this amp was designed for Edward, and to my knowledge he's always had the luxury of cranking the shit out of his amps, which is something that most of us don't have. However, I do like the 5150 for the most part, so I guess I'll be like Brett and stick with it....only with a Marshall cab, mind you.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea Brownsound, as far as "new" marshalls go, the triple super lead does sound pretty good. It's warmer than a lot of the other new amps they're putting out.
    As far as 5150's go, I won't go there again, but if you're gonna use one using a marshall cab is a really good idea.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:
    Yea Brownsound, as far as "new" marshalls go, the triple super lead does sound pretty good. It's warmer than a lot of the other new amps they're putting out.
    As far as 5150's go, I won't go there again, but if you're gonna use one using a marshall cab is a really good idea.
    <hr></blockquote>

5150's do sound good with a lot of the Marshall cabs out there. The great thing about the 5150 is the resonance control, it allows you to adjust the 5150 to work with several different cabs. I've found that Vintage 30's work best with the 5150 for me, also the Eminence V12 Vintage 30 copies sound good too. I'm an avid 5150 user and supporter, and I even like the stock 5150 head with the sheffeild 5150 cab, but a 5150 with JJ tubes, and a Vintage 30 or Eminence V12 loaded cab sounds a ton better. I'm also gonna try out the Eurotubes 5150 bias mod on one of my 5150s which is supposed to warm up the 5150 greatly. After I've heard with my own ears what the JJ tubes do to warm up the 5150, I believe that the bias mod will work nicely too.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.25.10 @ 06:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 100 watt heads are old technology

I don't necessarily think the 5150 sucks; it's just that 100 watt heads are old 1960's technology. Think about it: in the 60's and 70's you didn't mic up the guitar cabinet and send it thru the PA system like you do today. There WAS no PA system. 100 watt stacks were invented because that sound coming off the stage was the only sound there was. Unfortunately, many of us came to equate volume with tone. Tone has nothing to do with volume. All you have to do is put a mic in front of your little 5 watt Roland Microcube and you can have it be as loud as you want. Or you can just hook your pedalboard right up to the sound board. I hook up my Vox Valvetronix Tonelab SE right to the sound board and it sounds incredible. Valvetronix sounds just like a real tube amp, and instead of just one or two sounds you have millions at the touch of a switich. Also, computing power has now gotten so powerful that we can get these tube tones, and a whole lot more, out of software. The young kids have grown up with computers and digital technology and they don't have the bias to true tubes that us old guys have. I know some of you dinosaurs tried the pedalboards when they first came out and concluded they sucked; and you were right. But the technology and modeling have grown just as much as today's computers are a universe past Windows 95. The young guys want the sounds they hear on records, and that means the digital pedalboards and software. The kids demand that studio sound. They aren't satisfied with the raw 5150 sound. Try Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3... you'll be blown away. EVH didn't get the Eruption sound with just a Marshall stack... there was also a WHOLE lot of studio trickery and EQ at multiple places going on. Right now I can get that EXACT same Eruption tone on my computer with Guitar Rig. Dweezil Zappa has a video on the internet with his version of Eruption... all thru the computer. Watch it and be prepared to be blown away. I know a lot of you are going to watch it and say, "That sucks"... but I bet if there was a Marshall plexi sitting there you would think the sound was coming from that and say, "That's awesome!" Right now there is a brand new Peavey 6505 plus on sale for $650 at my local guitar store. I'm not going to buy it. I can't crank it at my house, but I can get full blown tube sound out of my Valvetronix at 1 watt.