Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The volume pot on my Special has a static noise in it at wide open. It's not all the time just kind of when you crank it up it crackles a little when it hits wide open. I am gonna try & get some contact cleaner in it & see if that helps. Otherwise, what are the specs on a replacement? 500k, 250k? Also, what is the difference between linear & audio taper?

Also, the shielding on the output jack wire is broken. Where can I find some more of that wire. It's not long enough to reach if I cut & re-solder. My local radio shack is useless.

On a side not, I was not very impressed w/ the quality of the solder joints. I found a couple that were cold, fixed 'em and that helped a lot w/ some hum I was getting.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the special uses a standard 500k volume pot,............ if im not wrong a linear taper would be a slider control like on a mixing board or something. could be wrong. as for the ground wire you could just get some new wire with a hot wire and ground wire if you have to just take the old wire out.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forget the spray. It sounds like this guitar was abused a bit.
    Find a music store or electronic store and ask for a switchcraft or other good quality 500k audio taper pot.
    You don't need thick wire for the output jack.
    I'm sure if you looked around the house you could find a couple of inches of wire to act as a bridge.
    If you can spot and fix cold solder joints you should have no trouble fixing that sucker up.
    The hum could also be coming from your amp.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I did use just a jumper piece for the shield & it worked like a champ.

Tribb, just curious, why would you think it's been abused? I am the second owner. The original guy only kept it for about a month or so before trading it back in at a local store who I trust & have dealt with quite a bit. FWIW, I went ahead & used a little cleaner on the pot(couldn't hurt) & it seems to have fixed it. It is silent now all the way around all the time. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glad the jumper worked.
    I didn't mean abused as in thrown around or dinged, or anything like that.
    I should have said not well maintained.
    When you get an instrument with something like the sheilding on wire gone, and cold solder joints, it usually means someone has gone in there and fiddled around, without knowing what they were doing.
    That's the kind of abuse I meant.
    Stores usually have someone to take a look at an instrument before it goes on the floor so they either missed the problems, which luckily you didn't, or they didn't care enough to check them out.
    That might have worked in your favor if you got a deal.
    As far as the scratchy pot goes, it wouldn't hurt to look around for a good quality pot to keep on hand. It's only a matter of time till the pot starts to go again, and hopefully it won't be when you're using it onstage.
    It might be fine for a month or a year, but it will go again, and it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
    Sounds like you're handy with a soldering iron and have a good hands on approach. I think it's great when a player can get in there and do their own work. Keeps you on top of potential problems and it's always encouraging to be able to fix a problem yourself.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah Tribb, I do enjoy being able to fix my own stuff whether it be guitar, automotive, boat, stuff around the house, it doesn't matter. It's how I was raised. Kind of a "Give a guy fish & he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish & he'll eat for a lifetime" sort of thing. My dad is a great guy, really gave me a good foundation for finding & solving problems, among other things.

On a similar note, I'd really be interested in learning about amp repair/modification and even building simple effects units if possible. I have a schematic for a pre-amp in a book and am in the process of gathering parts for it now but I'd be open to ther things as well. Any suggetions on literature/videos that would be a good resource?

I did take your advice too re: the spare pot. I've not heard anyone yet say they wish they didn't have a spare whatever when they needed it. They one I got is a Mighty Mite brand. I couldn't find Switchcraft anywhere local.

Sorry for the verbose post. Any replies are welcome!!!

[img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A mighty mite pot should be fine.
    There's lots of schematics on building effects boxes, and I encourage anyone to go for it. You never know what you'll come up with.
    Before getting into Amp repair/modification though, I wouldn't attempt it without some sort of electronic training or background. Especially when thinking about modifications. There are some serious voltages in there and even if the caps are properly drained when they're powered up again you want to make sure there aren't any leaks or ground faults.
    If you're just changing a resistor in an old head or changing some small caps for a different tone, that's not too bad but you still want to be careful.
    I follow schematics, but I'm sure that there are some good videos as well. Some guys use a kit to mod their heads but most of them are crap. I know there are guys, even in here that have bought "modded" heads that are probably just installed kits and are easy to install, and not really modifications. A true mod involves more than just adding a tube or increasing the gain somewhat. The internal wiring has to be completely redone for sound and safety or you just get an amp that screams louder or has a bit more bite when it's cranked.
    I have a fairly extensive electronic background and repair is not really a big deal but when messing around with the heavy stuff like mods I let guys I know with 20-30 years of modding background that specialize do it.