Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

I work in an I.T. company within the U.K. I get on well with all of the staff in the building, you know, the people who actually make the company work - i.e. the administrators, post room staff, cleaners, caterers, etc. People who can really make your working day really difficult if you're rude to them.

Anyhow, as I say, I get on well with them all and I help them out, and the favour is returned.

Well, I just popped down to see my friendly post room staff and one of them asked me if I would be interested in a certain book. It was The Guitar Chord Encyclopedia by Steve Hall (Alternative link), published by Alfred publishers in 1993.

I had a quick flick through, and it just seems fantastic ! Loads and loads of chords, each one telling you which notes are in the chord, and why it is called that chord.

I mean, it's full of stuff that is simple to figure out, but I've never done that. But now it's all here in a book, methinks that it is going to unlock loads of stuff for me.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen, used, or owned this book and what you think of it ?

Needless to say, I snapped it up straight away, because it looks like it will be absolutely priceless for myself !!!

It's 312 pages and has like 24 pages of chords per key.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 19, 2002, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Too many chords for my tastes, but occasionally let me know what you are learning [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Too many chords for my tastes, but occasionally let me know what you are learning [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    If anything, it will be useful for when you get a transcription of a song and you're like, "What the bloody hell is a Bm7(b5) chord ?"

However, with all the information thrown in with this book as well, it's definitely going to unlock the fretboard for me a little...

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jeez, maybe I got too optimistic, I'm lost on the first page :

Intervals are not only labeled by the distance between scale degrees, bu by the quality of the interval. An interval's quality is determined by counting the number of whole steps between the two notes of an interval. For example: C to E is a 3rd. C to E is also a major third because there are 2 whole steps between C an E. Likewise, C to Eb is a 3rd(*). C to Eb is also a minor third because there are 1 steps between C and Eb. There are five qualities used to describe intervals: major, minor, perfect, diminished and augmented.

M = Major
    m = Minor
    P = Perfect
    o = Diminished (dim)
    + = Augmented (aug)

Particular intervals are associated with certain qualities:
    </font>[*]2nds, 9ths = Major, Minor & Augmented</font>[*]3rds, 6ths, 13ths = Major, Minor, Augmented & Diminished</font>[*]4ths, 5ths, 11ths = Perfect, Augmented & Diminished</font>[*]7ths = Major Minor & Diminished
    (**)

(*) Is he talking about a C Minor scale here, where Eb would be the 3rd note in the scale, so C to Eb is therefore a 3rd?

(**) Are we talking again about degrees here, so in a C Major scale :

D is Major, Minor & Augmented
    E & A are Major, Minor, Augmented & Diminished
    F & G are Perfect, Augmented & Diminished
    B is Major, Minor & Diminished ?

[img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a good book i've used for twenty years is The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer........it rrrrrrocks!! Even got eddie in it.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by bob'e'chops:
    a good book i've used for twenty years is The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer........it rrrrrrocks!! Even got eddie in it.
    Aye, I've got that one as well. It does indeed rock !

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mondola, pick up "the Guitar Grimoire-Scales and Modes" book by Adam Kadmon. Make sure to grab the companion video also, seeing the theory explained really helps the info sink in. It's geared towards intermediate/advanced players, but the guy explains things very well. With time, it'll all fall into place. The best guitar theory learning tool I've found.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Bm7b5 - B D E A (I love chords)
    Your favorite band sucks.