Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Majestic had a link on a thread that featured clips of shit thru one of those "Pod's"

At $400......is that too much to pay for something that would be used primarily as a "headphone" amp.

Is the Behrenger (sp?) the same.

Someday I want to multitrack on my PC......but right now, I was just so blown away with those clips.......just to use it as a practive amp with headphones seems awesome..........the POD must be a ton of fun to screw with.

Any thoughts???
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At $400......is that too much to pay for something that would be used primarily as a "headphone" amp.
    Yes.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb,

What's a nice unit that I could use for practicing and maybe one day doing a little recording on my PC?
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Johnson J-Station. Tons of great tones for practicing. $150. The same concept as the POD with better Marshall sounds IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> At $400......is that too much to pay for something that would be used primarily as a "headphone" amp.
    Yes.</font>[/QUOTE]I'm gonna disagree here, first off let me say that I'm no soundgear or amp guru by any means, as I have stated before guitars I know, amps and sound gear I don't and after all these years I'm really just learning that side of it, guys on this list like Larryj, Tribb, Homeunit etc know much more than I do about that stuff.
    I lived with an old solid state Peavey 100 watt head and a 4x12 cab that I didn't like for 13 years before I decided to buy a tube amp.
    Now saying that, one thing that I do know is what sounds good, and I know you all can tell what sounds good and what doesn't it's a natural thing.
    I have a Peavey 5150 head and cab that I got about 6 yrs ago I played that with a Korg for effects till I was introduced to the POD by a Recording studio friend of mine, actually the guy here in town that does\did George Lynches Demo stuff for years, he sold me on the thing, I walked into the studio and he was playing thru a marshall redhead on one side and a VHT on the other and I didn't know it was a POD driving those 2 heads till he was done playing, basically I had a similair setup for quite a while and I was very happy with it, I ran the guitar into the POD then out of the POD to a 5150 on one side and a Dean markley 60 watt tube head on the other
    it was\is awesome, The Dean and the 5150 were just used as power amps on their clean channels
    and I could capture Eds Balance and FUCK sound no problem, the older stuff was\is a little harder to get, I no longer play thru the POD I use a little unkown gem I found called the Oberhiem GM-1000, the *only* reason I got rid of the POD was because I did not like the features on it, features they have added to the new one so I'll probably be getting one, the moral of this story is the POD is more than just a headphone amp and is quite amazing driven by a tubed power amp.
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by LarryJ:
    Johnson J-Station. Tons of great tones for practicing. $150. The same concept as the POD with better Marshall sounds IMO.
    No sh*t dude, seriously? I'll have to investigate.

Also, when you say "better Marshall tones", do you mean of the Plexi-ish variety, or the harsher type?

If it's even comparable to the new POD, and that's what I think we're discussing here, then that's a ridiculous price difference. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LarryJ:
    No sh*t dude, seriously? I'll have to investigate.

Also, when you say "better Marshall tones", do you mean of the Plexi-ish variety, or the harsher type?

If it's even comparable to the new POD, and that's what I think we're discussing here, then that's a ridiculous price difference. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm talking master volume JMP2203/2204 type Marshall sounds, definitely some plexi vibe.

I can e-mail you some mp3's of some recordings of my J-Station on the 78 Marshall setting.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dude, check out the Pandora! I love mine & it's quite versitile.
    http://www.korg.com/main.asp
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> At $400......is that too much to pay for something that would be used primarily as a "headphone" amp.
    Yes.</font>[/QUOTE]I'm gonna disagree here, first off let me say that I'm no soundgear or amp guru by any means, as I have stated before guitars I know, amps and sound gear I don't and after all these years I'm really just learning that side of it, guys on this list like Larryj, Tribb, Homeunit etc know much more than I do about that stuff.
    I lived with an old solid state Peavey 100 watt head and a 4x12 cab that I didn't like for 13 years before I decided to buy a tube amp.
    Now saying that, one thing that I do know is what sounds good, and I know you all can tell what sounds good and what doesn't it's a natural thing.
    I have a Peavey 5150 head and cab that I got about 6 yrs ago I played that with a Korg for effects till I was introduced to the POD by a Recording studio friend of mine, actually the guy here in town that does\did George Lynches Demo stuff for years, he sold me on the thing, I walked into the studio and he was playing thru a marshall redhead on one side and a VHT on the other and I didn't know it was a POD driving those 2 heads till he was done playing, basically I had a similair setup for quite a while and I was very happy with it, I ran the guitar into the POD then out of the POD to a 5150 on one side and a Dean markley 60 watt tube head on the other
    it was\is awesome, The Dean and the 5150 were just used as power amps on their clean channels
    and I could capture Eds Balance and FUCK sound no problem, the older stuff was\is a little harder to get, I no longer play thru the POD I use a little unkown gem I found called the Oberhiem GM-1000, the *only* reason I got rid of the POD was because I did not like the features on it, features they have added to the new one so I'll probably be getting one, the moral of this story is the POD is more than just a headphone amp and is quite amazing driven by a tubed power amp.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The question was, is a 400. unit too much for a "headphone amp"?
    Yes it is. Way too much.
    He's not using it through a 5150 or VHT power amp, or working with George L's producer who fixes it up in a studio that's created for sound.
    It doesn't appear that he wants to go through 150 parameter setting till it sounds just right either.
    He wants a headphone amp that will let him practice, record easily and sound good.
    If you're gonna record with it exclusively then it's ok, although there are MUCH better recording and live preamps than the pod.
    For 150. though, the J-station, although with not as many settings as the POD, has more than enough to satisfy most people looking for a headphone amp. There's also a no. of others in the same price range. If, down the road you find the J station isn't enough for some messing around on the computer type of recording then you can trade it up for a POD or even better unit for actual recording purposes.
    I know guys that use Digitechs for home recording. They're perfectly happy and get some surprisingly good tones from those units.
    Also, to be perfectly honest I tried the new POD unit out a couple of weeks ago, and although it had lots of bells and whistle it still sounded sterile and nothing whatsoever like a tube amp. To me it actually sounded like shit and I'd never record with it. If you really listen closely to the new POD XT you'll find it sounds very much like the regular POD 2, with some of the parameters tweaked. All units like that use IC's to "emulate" tube sound and an IC can only do it so well, regardless of who makes them. If you explored more you'd also find that a good no. of companies use the "exact same IC's" in their units, and put them in their own casings with their "special name" of tube emulation printed on the case. It's the same crap inside.
    I tried a pod with the power side of my marshall head in a studio at one time as well, and to me it sounded awful no matter how it was tweaked. I only made that mistake once.
    Trade up when you need to, rather that piss money away on the latest boutique peice of shit.

I use a little Pandora 3 for messing around and excersing my hands. I got it used for 75. Canadian, and it works just fine. Would I use it live? No, but for messing around at home it's great. If you're gonna use names, Vai, Satriani, and a no. of others use those little units for practicing and warming up and they do the job well.

Jimmy, if you can, try the J station, which is a decent unit for the money, or another moderately priced "headphone" setup out first.
    If you really want to spend the bucks on the higher priced stuff try it out for at least a week or two. In that time you can decide whether you really want it or not. If, on the other hand your mind's made up for a pod there are a bunch of used ones around for around 150-180. if you do some checking.
    It may be exactly what you're looking for but don't be swayed because someone else tells you "so and so used one in a studio for years". Music stores have tons of used crap on their shelves because guys go out and impulse buy without testing equipment out for themselves.

[ November 14, 2002, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb, what type of live music do you play?, do you play in a band?...I live in Toronto...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

J-Station is a good unit, but I believe they are discontinued. In fact I think Johnson amps no longer exists.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I got to agree with Tribb about the POD. Some guys love em and that's great, but tubey they are not.

I had a POD Pro for a year or so and it works well for demos and stuff but it really does sound fake and sterile.

When the Vetta came out I tried it and found that I actually like the old pod better.

When the XT came out I brought one home and tried every concievable combo, into my Marshall, into my computer, into my stereo and to me it's the worst sounding out of the bunch. I was actually double checking my connections to make sure it was plugged in properly. The "Eruption" setting was particularly shitty. It does clean well, but the Marshall settings are marginal, and the Boogie tones are the shits. The AC-30 wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The effects are crap IMO, and inprovement over the original, but still fucking terrible.

Having said that, I'm a tube nut. If it's not a tube amp I don't want to hear it. Effects wise, I like old analoug effects. I have a Boss DD-3 for delay witch is supossed to be the unit to use and I hate it, to digital for me.

I'm not dumping on the guys that like the amp modellers at all. I'm totally biased towards tube amps and old effects. That's what I use, and that's what I like and to me the modellers can't capture it...yet.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi subway. I did a VH tribute for a no. of years in a band called 1984.
    I might do some more work with the band next summer at some outdoor gigs, but I got pretty tired of playing the same crap over and over for years. I screwed up my hand in a stupid accident at home(my fault), and couldn't play for awhile but I'm getting back into it now. At the moment I'm putting together a power blues band. I like going to clubs to jam with other bands and hope to be doing it again after the xmas holidays.
    What about you?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is refreshing to me for some reason. I've always thought that I was the only one who thought a POD sounded like shit. SO fake and you can tell where they were going with TRYING to emulate a tube amp but it's such a bad imitation. Sounds like crap and all ratty and dry. For awhile there, I thought I was going crazy because I thought POD's sucked while everyone was telling me how great they are. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    ...I no longer play thru the POD I use a little unkown gem I found called the Oberhiem GM-1000...
    Great comment rolsguitars. Oberheim's GM line should be seriously considered by anyone looking for an effects processor/amp simulator/headphone amp. The GM-400 is actually a bigger bang for the buck than the 1000 (all of the core features and cheaper).

The thing with Oberheim is they're renowned for their sound and their ability to recreate tube tone with digital technology. It says a lot in of itself that Eddie chose their analog synths to play on the road. We all know how good his ear is.

I'm trying to get my hands on one up here in Canada, but it's not easy. Here's some more info for anybody that's interested.

For those asking about the Behringer, I'm using a V-AMP 2 right now and it's great as a practice/headphone amp. My complaint is I get the patches to sound the way I like at home, but then when I run them direct into the PA at rehearsal, everything's a different animal and I've got to re-EQ to account for the changes in the signal chain. Last night was a perfect example, I did up a crunch sound for Alice in Chains "Man in the Box" that was just stomping at home. When I took it over the pa, it sounded like a wheezing fart through a piece of wet cardboard.

The Behringer's good if you're looking for a cheap solution with a user friendly interface. It's low sampling rate doesn't give you the sound you'd get from the GM-400 by a long shot though. As for the Johnson J-Station, our singer/rhythm guitarist uses one and I'm not a big fan. The distortions are a little too abrasive for my tastes. Of course, this is all subjective, so take it for what it's worth.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave